Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tara Phoenix
    • By Tara Phoenix 15th Dec 18, 4:54 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Tara Phoenix
    Car Tax Confusion ! Please advise x
    • 15th Dec 18, 4:54 PM
    Car Tax Confusion ! Please advise x 15th Dec 18 at 4:54 PM
    Hi everyone

Iím due to get a new used car tomorrow and am entitled to 50% reduction in my car Tax.

It says I need to send off a insurance cover note and the part of the log book that I need to send to the dvla.

Now itís gonna take a week probably to get a cover note back and the log book needs to go to dvla, so my question is ;

Do I really need to wait so long before I can drive my car because of the tax ?

Please advise as I canít find any info on it x
    Last edited by Tara Phoenix; 15-12-2018 at 5:29 PM.
Page 1
    • elle may
    • By elle may 15th Dec 18, 5:49 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    elle may
    • 15th Dec 18, 5:49 PM
    • 15th Dec 18, 5:49 PM
    When we had to do this we taxed it for 6mths at post office and payed it ourselves. You have to tax a car before you can drive it home. When you get all your doc's in place and receive your new tax from dvla you then ask dvla to cancel 6mths tax and they will refund you. less how long you have had it. Make sure next time to send your docs off to dvla it is in time for that years tax.
    • Tara Phoenix
    • By Tara Phoenix 15th Dec 18, 6:03 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tara Phoenix
    • 15th Dec 18, 6:03 PM
    • 15th Dec 18, 6:03 PM
    When we had to do this we taxed it for 6mths at post office and payed it ourselves. You have to tax a car before you can drive it home. When you get all your doc's in place and receive your new tax from dvla you then ask dvla to cancel 6mths tax and they will refund you. less how long you have had it. Make sure next time to send your docs off to dvla it is in time for that years tax.
    Maybe Iíve misunderstood but why do you need to cancel your tax ?
    Last edited by Tara Phoenix; 15-12-2018 at 6:06 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 15th Dec 18, 6:16 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 15th Dec 18, 6:16 PM
    The only way to claim the 50% reduction is to send all your documents, including the PIP award to DVLA, you can't claim this at any post office. As it could take time to do this then i'd advise you to tax your car yourself first and then DVLA will arrange a refund for what you've already paid.

Also bare in mind that the car your taxing will only be able to be used for the purposes of the disabled person. It will not be able to be used by another person for their own needs.

https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-50-reduction
    • elle may
    • By elle may 15th Dec 18, 6:16 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    elle may
    Maybe Iíve misunderstood but why do you need to cancel your tax ?
    Originally posted by Tara Phoenix
    Because you will have the new tax at 50% and wont need two taxes. I presume you have standard mobility awarded to get the 50%.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 15th Dec 18, 7:00 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Dandytf
    • 15th Dec 18, 7:00 PM
    • 15th Dec 18, 7:00 PM
    The only way to claim the 50% reduction is to send all your documents, including the PIP award to DVLA, you can't claim this at any post office. As it could take time to do this then i'd advise you to tax your car yourself first and then DVLA will arrange a refund for what you've already paid.

Also bare in mind that the car your taxing will only be able to be used for the purposes of the disabled person. It will not be able to be used by another person for their own needs.

https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-50-reduction
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Exactly
    When my 50% road tax didn't arrive in time last year.
    I paid full 12mths and eventually got refund for 6 mths from dvla.
    When I called dvla before it expired I was told dvla won't even look at my application before expiry date (due to volume of tax applications)
    I had thought previously they would have processed my tax request including cashing the cheque for 50% 12 mths.
    On the same phone call I was told it wouldn't be legal to drive whilst my tax renewal hadn't been processed/not arrived hence I gave in immediately and paid 100%
    Not sure what to do during 2019 -I thought I was being responsible allowing 2-3 weeks ahead of expiry during 2018.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2018-Virgin Money E-saver V11 -n/a-t.b.c.
    • Tara Phoenix
    • By Tara Phoenix 16th Dec 18, 10:34 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tara Phoenix
    • 16th Dec 18, 10:34 AM
    • 16th Dec 18, 10:34 AM
    Thank you all for your replies.

It seems very awkward for anyone really who has a reduction just to drive away their car.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 16th Dec 18, 2:03 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 16th Dec 18, 2:03 PM
    • 16th Dec 18, 2:03 PM
    Thank you all for your replies.

It seems very awkward for anyone really who has a reduction just to drive away their car.
    Originally posted by Tara Phoenix
    It really isn't that difficult. Just tax it the way you always used to and then you'll receive a refund. If you chose not to do it this way then you won't be able to drive your car until after Christmas.
    • gbhxu
    • By gbhxu 17th Dec 18, 8:22 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    gbhxu
    • 17th Dec 18, 8:22 PM
    • 17th Dec 18, 8:22 PM
    It really isn't that difficult. Just tax it the way you always used to and then you'll receive a refund. If you chose not to do it this way then you won't be able to drive your car until after Christmas.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    It may not be difficult but the process is all wrong.

I'm in the same situation as OP. Just got another car and need to tax it.

Thanks to the law, DVLA will get 2 months road road tax for the same vehicle.

I've had to get a neighbor to write me out a cheque because I don't have a chequebook and don't want to pay the extortionate charge for a postal order.

The cashier having to look at a PIP reward letter shouldn't be too difficult!
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Dec 18, 10:15 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    poppy12345

Thanks to the law, DVLA will get 2 months road road tax for the same vehicle.

I've had to get a neighbor to write me out a cheque because I don't have a chequebook and don't want to pay the extortionate charge for a postal order.

The cashier having to look at a PIP reward letter shouldn't be too difficult!
    Originally posted by gbhxu
    I don't make the rules....
    • stevenpc
    • By stevenpc 26th Dec 18, 10:07 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    stevenpc
    i had a monthly dd setup for my road tax and when i became eligable for the 50% reduction they refunded my dd payment when they processed my application have to say its a pain having to send a cheque off as not possible to pay online or phone or by dd hope they sort that out soon.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 2nd Jan 19, 4:26 PM
    • 10,518 Posts
    • 17,191 Thanks
    melbury
    I would have thought that by now this long-winded process of claiming the 50% discount should have been simplified.

Every year we have to send off all of the original documents, which means it costs about £6.75 for Special Delivery because I am worried that they will get lost in the post. Surely after the first time, as long as you have the same vehicle, you should only have to send the application form and cheque. They can see all of the vehicle ownership details etc online.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• gbhxu
    • By gbhxu 2nd Jan 19, 8:08 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    gbhxu
    I would have thought that by now this long-winded process of claiming the 50% discount should have been simplified.

Every year we have to send off all of the original documents, which means it costs about £6.75 for Special Delivery because I am worried that they will get lost in the post. Surely after the first time, as long as you have the same vehicle, you should only have to send the application form and cheque. They can see all of the vehicle ownership details etc online.
    Originally posted by melbury
    You should just be able to either apply online or use your debit card over the phone.

I've complained to DVLA about the the process. Here is the important bits of their reply:-

We are aware that customers who are in receipt of standard PIP do not have the same options as customers who are in receipt of enhanced PIP. DVLA is in the process of transforming its IT systems, as part of the transformation DVLA will address the disparity between the services offered to ensure that we provide all customers with the same level of service.
    Unfortunately it is anticipated that this may take another few years.....

So there yo have it. It all boils down to the DVLA IT systems not being able to cope with the 50% reduction for those of us claiming standard PIP mobility.

All 50% reduction applications are done by hand!
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 4th Jan 19, 10:16 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Dandytf
    You should just be able to either apply online or use your debit card over the phone.

I've complained to DVLA about the the process. Here is the important bits of their reply:-

We are aware that customers who are in receipt of standard PIP do not have the same options as customers who are in receipt of enhanced PIP. DVLA is in the process of transforming its IT systems, as part of the transformation DVLA will address the disparity between the services offered to ensure that we provide all customers with the same level of service.
    Unfortunately it is anticipated that this may take another few years.....

So there yo have it. It all boils down to the DVLA IT systems not being able to cope with the 50% reduction for those of us claiming standard PIP mobility.

All 50% reduction applications are done by hand!
    Originally posted by gbhxu
    Well done not specific to dvla then yet another u.k. company with I.t. Light years behind what is required.
    Thanks for providing some hope that pip road tax could make it online in a few years of course by then there wont be any pip -maybe dvla are waiting on UC being complete
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2018-Virgin Money E-saver V11 -n/a-t.b.c.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

771Posts Today

7,603Users online

Martin's Twitter