Emergency Budget: tax credit cuts for millions

Options

Comments

• Emmamumof2
    Emmamumof2 Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    It all sounds fair enough - I dont think any major shocks there - I was shocked that he says some families received £104000 in housing benefit pa which is why they are capping!
  • Simac
    Simac Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I missed the beginning of the speech, did anybody hear when the threshold is being reduced to £40,000? Is it immediate or from next April?
    :xmastree:What a splendid idea, this Christmas sounds fun. I fully endorse it, let's try it at once!:xmastree:
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Unsure how the link between Consumer Price Index and benefit rises works though. Only a small IB rise last time but it all helps.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    only_mee wrote: »
    As long as the shambles we read about that is ATOS isn't doing them ;)

I agree. I do honestly think though that with these medicals that qualified medical profesionals (sp) should only preform them, but thats my personal view anyway.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    I agree it does seem fair. All other medical benefits include a medical exam so should DLA should to. And realistically they might be out of power then!

Not necessarily - not all IB claimants have medicals, and equally many DLA claimants already have them. It does seem rather a fruitless measure.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • DaiJoA
    DaiJoA Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Simac wrote: »
    I missed the beginning of the speech, did anybody hear when the threshold is being reduced to £40,000? Is it immediate or from next April?

I stupidly missed the news completely so I'm only getting my info from here now and news sites, and haven't come across an answer so far, BUT I know they are scrapping the child trust funds for new babies from August so this may be the start date for many of the other changes too.
  • bat_women
    Options
    :(:(:(child benefit frozen its a bit harse
  • Matty23
    Matty23 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    What is excatly the full story on IB?, Are they definatly stopping it or tranferring it?, Will it save money aswell?, I did'nt see nothing about it as I was in loo for some part of it!.:D
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    sinstar wrote: »
    I thought £40k is the new taper point? For example at the moment the family element only tapers to £0 when your income is approx. £58k as far as I am aware.

No, as that would mean payments for those earning high £40k.

I understand it as £40k is the new maximum. Taper will therefore start much earlier.
  • slates
    slates Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Simac wrote: »

I believe it is from April 2011.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport