Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Arkadia
    • By Arkadia 16th Oct 19, 3:50 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Arkadia
    0 WOW
    Damaged Stroller Turkish Airlines
    • 16th Oct 19, 3:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Damaged Stroller Turkish Airlines 16th Oct 19 at 3:50 PM
    Hi there,
    Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but figured its to do with airlines compensation
    On the way back to the UK our stroller got damaged (some bits torn and some parts have been scratched really bad). I have contacted Turkish Airlines 7 days after the flight but they have denied the claim saying that the issue was raised too late. The way they understand the 7 days timeframe is different because they count the day of arrival as being the first day. I, on the other hand, count the first day as being the day after the arrival. For instance, I have arrived on a Monday, so that means I have until the next Monday to raise the claim.
    I have hit this wall in communication with them regarding the 7 days which is not explained on their site either :

Damaged baggage/missing possessions
    If you notice the damage to your baggage at the airport, you just need to contact the Lost Property Office. Your journey details will be recorded and a “Damaged baggage and/or missing possessions report” will be issued.

If you notice damage to your baggage or possessions missing after you have left the airport, you can notify us by visiting the baggage irregularity report and follow-up page within 7 days and making a lost baggage or missing possessions notification.

Any advice regarding how I can make them investigate my claim?
    Any legal explanation of those 7 days?
    True, I have left it till the last moment, I give you that, but the stroller was only 2 weeks old and feel I need to try harder.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • victor2
    • By victor2 16th Oct 19, 3:58 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 3,383 Thanks
    victor2
    • 16th Oct 19, 3:58 PM
    • 16th Oct 19, 3:58 PM
    Makes perfect sense to me for day 1 to be the day you land. Don't think you've got any chance in extending it to 8 days. If the damage was so bad, how come you didn't notice it at the airport and report it right away when you collected your luggage.
    Not always that easy with a little one around, but waiting a week(+ a day) is pushing it a bit.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 16th Oct 19, 4:12 PM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 9,224 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 16th Oct 19, 4:12 PM
    • 16th Oct 19, 4:12 PM
    Stroller? Do you mean a pushchair?
    • Arkadia
    • By Arkadia 16th Oct 19, 9:21 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Arkadia
    • 16th Oct 19, 9:21 PM
    • 16th Oct 19, 9:21 PM
    @victor2 I still don't think that is correct. For instance when you say: see you in 2 days that is not tomorrow, that is the day after. Applying the same logic, 7 days means you start counting from the day after today if that makes sense?
    Indeed, I failed to see the damage because the stroller can be folded so neatly that it covered the signs of damage

@Nick_C, that is right, stroller as in pushchair/buggy

So is there no other international body that could look into this, you think?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 17th Oct 19, 8:06 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:06 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:06 AM
    I doubt the UN would be interested, but you can always try your luck.
    • ttoli
    • By ttoli 17th Oct 19, 8:49 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    ttoli
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:49 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:49 AM
    Arkadia , because you didn't notify the handling agent when you collected the stroller , they will argue that you have no proof that damage was caused during the flight.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 17th Oct 19, 9:40 AM
    • 12,451 Posts
    • 8,113 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:40 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 9:40 AM
    Does your travel insurance have any timelines on notification? It may not be worth claiming depending on your excess and repair costs
    If you wanted to avoid scratches you would be best having a buggy bag for travel
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 17th Oct 19, 11:50 AM
    • 5,540 Posts
    • 3,951 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 17th Oct 19, 11:50 AM
    • 17th Oct 19, 11:50 AM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 17th Oct 19, 12:33 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    vacheron
    • 17th Oct 19, 12:33 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 12:33 PM
    @victor2 I still don't think that is correct. For instance when you say: see you in 2 days that is not tomorrow, that is the day after. Applying the same logic, 7 days means you start counting from the day after today if that makes sense?
    Indeed, I failed to see the damage because the stroller can be folded so neatly that it covered the signs of damage

@Nick_C, that is right, stroller as in pushchair/buggy

So is there no other international body that could look into this, you think?
    Originally posted by Arkadia
    ...but conversely, "It has been like that since day 1" means since the instant someone began.

If someone starts a project plan or timeline, it does not begin with day 0.

This does mean it is open to interpretation, however as you posted their terms also say to report the damage "within 7 days" so if you were being technical legal about it you could say that only 6 days or less were "within" 7 days.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Oct 19, 4:46 PM
    • 14,305 Posts
    • 9,798 Thanks
    photome
    I think the 7 days starts from the monday, so you were a day too late
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 18th Oct 19, 10:51 AM
    • 4,245 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    With all due respect, why ask the question if you’re just going to disagree with people who answer?
    You asked, you have your answer - this is a forum for opinions, not people telling you what you want to hear.

Unfortunately I agree with the others - you’re out of time.
    • Arkadia
    • By Arkadia 4th Nov 19, 10:13 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Arkadia
    Caz3121, we actually had a buggy bag from Turkish Airlines - but that got a bit torn and this way the damage happened.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 6th Nov 19, 3:08 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    sal_III
    Couple of years ago, when we found our buggy all mangled upon landing at Palma de Majorca we immediately notified the baggage handling agent and were provided with a cheap loaner buggy to tie us over the 1 week holiday and a contact number plus reference number for our claim.

We called the next day and eventually got a new replacement (although a different colour) delivered couple of days after we came back to the UK. It was rather expensive model too. We had zero issues with the process.

I really don't understand how you didn't complaint immediately at the airport if the damage was so severe. It takes couple of minutes, which is nothing in the grand scheme of time spend at the airport.

I'm fairly sure that the interpretation of when the 7 days deadline beings is written in the T&C of the airline. If you have breached the deadline, there isn't really much you can do pursuing that angle. Your best option is to check your travel insurance, although I suspect even if you are still within the claim window the excess would too high to make a claim worth it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,615Posts Today

7,973Users online

Martin's Twitter