PPI question

Options
Hi, I just have a simple question .... The Halifax have sent me a letter saying they have upheld my PPI complaint and that they will be sending me a cheque for the amount owed within 28 days... Is this now a done deal with that letter and that cheque will actually be sent or does it then go through some other process to try to find a way to stop it?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can stop it by contacting them to say you don't want it, but assuming you have no outstanding defaulted debts on that account, there would be no reason for them not to send it to you.
  • andrewb0101
    Options
    No, I don't have any outstanding debt with them ... but that raises an interesting point ... Do the Halifax send out these letters with offers and ''cheque to follow'' before doing their due dilligence on whether there is an outstanding debt or do they do their due dilligence prior to the letter going out as I would imagine it could lead to some kind of dispute if you have that letter and then don't get your cheque ... this is out of interest this question as it seems to be quite a grey area
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It’ll primarily be because their settlements team (the people who send the cheques) will be working on a delay as they’ll be being inundated with payment requests.

The bank may also quality check cases that are pending payments (or rejected) to make sure the correct process has been followed and we sure the correct offer of redress (higher or lower) has been applied.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is not uncommon for the complaints team to reach their decision and a letter issued before the settlements team have completed their bankruptcy register checks, defaults/arrears and write off checks.

There can also be a sample checked for quality purposes. i.e. has the file checker come to the right decision. You don't see it often but it happens that the decision is changed. The checks are risk based. Someone getting £500 redress is unlikely to be checked but a £15,000 is more likely. These checks can happen aftter the letter and some people have been told the position has changed after the initial upheld letter has gone out.

So, yes it can happen that you don't get the amount told but only in those scenarios.

It is best not to assume anything until the money is in the bank.
  • andrewb0101
    Options
    Okay so that has sent me into a panic and I have rung the bank to be told that the payment has been authorised and final authorisation is taking place in the cheque processing team ... I guess I am home and dry
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the letter says a cheque will follow, then a cheque will follow.
    Just be patient and stop worrying
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • andrewb0101
    Options
    Cheque arrived Saturday ... Banked Monday .... cleared Tuesday ... Job done.... Now Egg... stupidly I have used a claims company and I have asked them how my Egg claim is coming along as I have heard nothing .... Here lies the problem they have told me that they sent it to HBOS along with the Halifax claim and Goldfish claim .... Egg is nothing to do with HBOS?..... So what do I do about this?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing now. The deadline has passed.
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    "So what do I do about this?"

Learn a lesson. Never use a claims company again and tell all your friends!!
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure