PPI claim for an HSBC credit card

I contacted my bank, HSBC, a few weeks before the PPI deadline as I believe I had PPI on an HSBC credit card but this may be going back to around the early 2000's. HSBC took around 6 weeks to respond to me and say that following their investigations they have found no evidence of PPI on any products I have had with the bank, basically that they only keep documents within their data retention guidelines and so may have been destroyed. They will keep the case open for 2 months if I can provide them with evidence like old statements etc which of course I don't have, although I did find a statement dated May 2006 which doesn't include PPI as I know by then I had requested it to be stopped. So I suppose what I'm asking for help with is, shall I pursue them further and ask them to provide me with a history of all information/documents they hold on my account? I've been an HSBC customer for around 25 years and can specifically remember ticking the PPI box when I applied as it was my first credit card and thought this would help with my credit card application - or do you think as I ticked the PPI box this doesn't count as a claim? Any help or advice much appreciated :)

Comments

• SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So I suppose what I'm asking for help with is, shall I pursue them further and ask them to provide me with a history of all information/documents they hold on my account?

If you dont believe them then you can request a SAR. However, if you are going back to prior to 2006 then you wouldnt expect them to keep statements. 10 years history is the going rate nowadays.
    I've been an HSBC customer for around 25 years and can specifically remember ticking the PPI box when I applied as it was my first credit card and thought this would help with my credit card application - or do you think as I ticked the PPI box this doesn't count as a claim?

If you requested it, then how could you complain that it was missold?
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you can’t prove it with documents (I.e. a copy of your credit agreement, statements showing it etc) then it’s game over.

You remembering ticking a box isn’t evidence and even if it was, having PPI doesn’t mean you’re automatically entitled to a refund. Neither is thinking it’d help an application (unless you were specifically told by an HSBC employee that this was the case).

Sounds like game over, thanks for playing.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure