Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SROBH
    • By SROBH 20th May 19, 4:52 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    SROBH
    Manchester Airport May 19th
    • 20th May 19, 4:52 PM
    Manchester Airport May 19th 20th May 19 at 4:52 PM
    The problems at Manchester Airport, due to failure in fuelling system got me thinking. As far as I know delay compensation rights are between the passenger and the carrier, and the latter can avoid being liable for situations beyond their control. I imagine an airport being unable to fuel a carrier's planes would be one of those situations beyond the carrier's control.
    So where does this leave passengers? Presumably carriers will refund or provide flights at no extra cost, but not pay any delay compensation. Passengers have no direct contractual link to the airport so any failure by the airport could only be approached through common law tort - negligence. Passengers would have to litigate on the basis of breach of duty of care and subsequent loss and damage.
    No doubt carriers will have penalty clauses in their contracts with airports for lack of performance by the airport, but passengers it seems to me have no rights against an airport unless they litigate .
Page 2
    • Deehem
    • By Deehem 30th May 19, 4:51 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Deehem
    Hi All,

The CAA have since acknowledged my complaint and have indicated they are following this up with Ryanair. Just to add, so soon after the last Ryanair fiasco with the CAA.

Let's see what the (in)conclusive outcome is... in about 10 weeks.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 30th May 19, 5:05 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi All,

The CAA have since acknowledged my complaint and have indicated they are following this up with Ryanair. Just to add, so soon after the last Ryanair fiasco with the CAA.

Let's see what the (in)conclusive outcome is... in about 10 weeks.
    Originally posted by Deehem
    Hi Deehem,

Well at least you received a reply from the CAA, I have now sent them two email and not even received an acknowledgement. Next I'll be raising a complaint.

You're leading the way with the CAA so I hope you'll keep us all updated
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Cazathull
    • By Cazathull 30th May 19, 5:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cazathull
    Compensation
    I was also at Manchester airport on 19th May. Sat on plane for nearly 3 hours before Ryanair cancelled flight. The chaos inside the terminal as people tried to get to the Ryanair desk was unbelievable. Waited in queue for over 2hrs without getting anywhere near the desk. Managed to book a flight on the Ryanair app for next day at LeedsBradford airport organised my own travel on train and taxi to that airport. Spent the night in the airport trying to sleep on hard chair until flight. Put claim in Ryanair so far have agreed to reimburse flight but ignored my train and taxi costs. They also have said I'm not entitled to any compensation due to ''exceptional circumstances'. Seems unfair after all the stress and delays and inconvenience.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 30th May 19, 6:02 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Tyzap
    I was also at Manchester airport on 19th May. Sat on plane for nearly 3 hours before Ryanair cancelled flight. The chaos inside the terminal as people tried to get to the Ryanair desk was unbelievable. Waited in queue for over 2hrs without getting anywhere near the desk. Managed to book a flight on the Ryanair app for next day at LeedsBradford airport organised my own travel on train and taxi to that airport. Spent the night in the airport trying to sleep on hard chair until flight. Put claim in Ryanair so far have agreed to reimburse flight but ignored my train and taxi costs. They also have said I'm not entitled to any compensation due to ''exceptional circumstances'. Seems unfair after all the stress and delays and inconvenience.
    Originally posted by Cazathull
    Hi and welcome Cazathull,

Now that you have found us please keep an eye on this thread to see how things develop.

In the mean time it would be helpful you would also raise a complaint with the CAA requesting EU261 compensation and your cost to get to LBA.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/How-the-CAA-can-help/How-to-make-a-complaint/

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • pfenig
    • By pfenig 31st May 19, 12:18 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    pfenig
    The EU261 compensation, of €400 p/p in your case, is exactly that. It's to compensate you for the inconvenience of the delay. Whether you claim for it or not is up to you.

As I have intimated to other caught up in the same situation, there is no reason why your flight could not have departed and landed at Man as scheduled. There was no problem with the fuel supply at the airport you were departing from!

You were held up and needlessly inconvenienced for the convenience of the airline imho.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap

Thanks so how to proceed here, do I reply with this to Ryanair?
    Last edited by pfenig; 31-05-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 31st May 19, 2:55 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Thanks so how to proceed here, do I reply with this to Ryanair?
    Originally posted by pfenig
    Hi pfenig,

If you haven't already, use this Online claim form for EU261 compensation....

https://eu261compensationclaims.ryanair.com

It sound like they will reject it but let's see first.

If it is rejected then I suggest you raise a complaint with the CAA as Ryanair have recently dispensed with the services of an ADR service that was provided by AviationADR.

This is what the CAA advise, re Ryanair claims...

Passengers with new claims:
    Passengers with new claims who are not satisfied with the outcome or who have not received a reply from the airline within eight weeks, should contact the Civil Aviation Authority's Passenger Advice and Complaints Team (PACT): https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/How-the-CAA-can-help/How-the-CAA-can-help/

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tyzap; 31-05-2019 at 3:08 PM.
    • JTJD
    • By JTJD 17th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JTJD
    Easyjet
    Our Easyjet Bilbao-Manchester flight was delayed at Bilbao on May 19th.
    We were informed by the Captain that our aircraft was fully fuelled but we could not leave Bilbao as Manchester airport was “full” due to aircraft at that airport being unable to refuel & depart.
    Our flight eventually departed at 22.22 instead of 17.30 and was diverted to Liverpool. We were then transferred to Manchester Airport by coach.
    We were told by Easyjet to claim compensation from Manchester Airport as the delay was not due to the airline.
    We submitted a claim to Manchester Airport but they have refused to provide us with compensation & “closed our case”.
    After seeking arbitration via CEDR (as advised by Aviation ADR) this claim has also been rejected.
    The CEDR informed us a claim regarding flight delay should be directed to the carrier & not Manchester Airport.
    As a formality we have now submitted a claim to Easyjet but fully expect it to be rejected.
    Can anyone give us an update regarding the matter please because we still strongly believe we should be compensated (by someone!) for the massive inconvenience the delay and diversion of our flight caused to us.
    We’d like to add that Easyjet treated us well during the delay at Bilbao. We were offloaded, given a €15 voucher each for refreshments in the lounge & when we eventually departed it was free drinks (non alcoholic) & food on the aircraft. The Easyjet crew couldn’t have been more helpful & we definitely didn’t have any issues with those members of staff.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 17th Jun 19, 5:18 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Justice13075
    If you read the whole post it becomes clear that the airport was NOT closed to arriving aircraft. Easyjet probably didn't want a plane sat at Manchester with no access to fuel, that's their problem. If they refuse you compensation ask them for a deadlock notice and take it to arbitration.
    • JTJD
    • By JTJD 17th Jun 19, 6:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JTJD
    Were all the terminals at MAN operating? We seem to vaguely recall (not definite on this) that we were told by the Captain, or maybe we read it later, that not all of the terminals were open.
    Out of curiosity can anyone confirm which of the three terminals continued to accept incoming flights that day. This detail might be useful for us to add as a specific piece of information to our claim.
    Thank you!
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 17th Jun 19, 6:46 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Were all the terminals at MAN operating? We seem to vaguely recall (not definite on this) that we were told by the Captain, or maybe we read it later, that not all of the terminals were open.
    Out of curiosity can anyone confirm which of the three terminals continued to accept incoming flights that day. This detail might be useful for us to add as a specific piece of information to our claim.
    Thank you!
    Originally posted by JTJD
    Various flights were arriving and departing to all terminals throughout the day.

Nothing at Manchester Airport closed due to the fuel shortage, it just severely restricted normal airline operations.
    • Karl06
    • By Karl06 18th Jun 19, 5:37 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Karl06
    Hi as anyone successfully claimed any compensation from these delays that happened on Sunday 19th May regarding the fuelling issues at Manchester Airport as I believe Bott&Co are taking these cases on and fighting them for their customers.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 18th Jun 19, 5:50 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi as anyone successfully claimed any compensation from these delays that happened on Sunday 19th May regarding the fuelling issues at Manchester Airport as I believe Bott&Co are taking these cases on and fighting them for their customers.
    Originally posted by Karl06
    Hi Karl06,

Not that I know of, but it is early days yet.

The CAA are also looking into some claimants cases too.

Also bear in mind that a single decision on one case will not set a precedent on this issue. There are a number of scenarios that claimants are facing e.g arriving MAN, departing MAN, diverted to a different airport, flight cancelled etc

Please keep an eye on this thread for any updates.
    • JTJD
    • By JTJD 18th Jun 19, 6:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JTJD
    Interesting! I assume Bott & Co are a law firm?
    • JTJD
    • By JTJD 18th Jun 19, 6:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JTJD
    Thanks Karl 👍
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 18th Jun 19, 6:25 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Yes they are.
    • judson89
    • By judson89 16th Jul 19, 9:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    judson89
    Hi all,

Our flight from Athens to Manchester was cancelled on May 19th and re-arranged for the following day since the crew were out of hours. Our initial claim for compensation through easyJet was rejected and so following advice from this forum we escalated this through the ADR.

To keep you informed, we received a decision today ruling in the favour of the airline since a zero flow rate was put in place at Manchester airport, preventing any flights from arriving. The ADR also stated that reasonable measures had been taken to avoid the delay but no other airports were available for diversion.

I will be interested to hear if anyone else has better luck!

Cheers,
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 16th Jul 19, 11:01 AM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put your flight details into bottonline and then euclaim and see what they say before writing this off.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 16th Jul 19, 11:24 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi all,

Our flight from Athens to Manchester was cancelled on May 19th and re-arranged for the following day since the crew were out of hours. Our initial claim for compensation through easyJet was rejected and so following advice from this forum we escalated this through the ADR.

To keep you informed, we received a decision today ruling in the favour of the airline since a zero flow rate was put in place at Manchester airport, preventing any flights from arriving. The ADR also stated that reasonable measures had been taken to avoid the delay but no other airports were available for diversion.

I will be interested to hear if anyone else has better luck!

Cheers,
    Originally posted by judson89
    Hi judson89,

I'm very surprised that they claim there was a zero flow rate at Manchester as I know that aircraft were arriving. I live under the flight path and could see them for myself. A quick check on any flight tracker also shows flight arriving and departing, all be it, at a reduced rate.

I also query that no other airports were available for diversions, I find that quite unbelievable.

I suggest you keep your powder dry for now, then lets see how others fare before looking at alternatives.

Good luck.
    • DonnyLady
    • By DonnyLady 13th Aug 19, 1:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DonnyLady
    Easyjet
    Hi

Can anyone tell me if they have had any success with regard to claiming compensation for the delays on the 19th of May at Manchester Airport.

I have tried various avenues without success (Aviationadr, CEDR).

I did contact Bott & Co and they have explained they are using the reasonable measures scenario, from what they said also that Manchester Airport its self does not come under the EU ruling.

I'm finding it quite frustrating at the moment because the only possible way to proceed is with Bott & Co.

Any information would be appreciated.
    • Dan-1987
    • By Dan-1987 8th Oct 19, 12:16 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Dan-1987
    Anyone any updates on this? I’ve just had a response to my complaint from jet2 stating they would not issue me any compensation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

627Posts Today

7,047Users online

Martin's Twitter