Electric cars

Just wanted people's opinions on buying an electric car?

Before long all cars will be electric and therfore is it best to sell petrol car at full value and invest in electric car.

I don't want to start a new finance deals for 4 years and be complete but then left with and cat nobody wants or has resale value because all are electric.....thoughts

Jonathan

Comments

• Jonamora wrote: »
    Just wanted people's opinions on buying an electric car?

Before long all cars will be electric and therfore is it best to sell petrol car at full value and invest in electric car.

I don't want to start a new finance deals for 4 years and be complete but then left with and cat nobody wants or has resale value because all are electric.....thoughts

Jonathan

It's going to be a hell of a lot longer than 4 years before we're all trundling around in electric cars.

I won't be buying another for some time after my bloody awful experience owning a Renault Zoe for a year.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So go for a PCP (with a guaranteed minimum future value) or a lease (where the residual value isn't your problem), then.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    electric cars are currently wildly unpopular, and if you buy one now then in 4 years it will be worth next to nothing. I think I read somewhere that Nissan Leafs are the fastest depreciating (new) car in the world

It will be maybe 20 years before most cars are electric... gonna be some time. You're quite safe now. Plus there are some people who would never want an electric car. Petrol all the way! :)
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Jonamora wrote: »

Not sure where you get that from, currently only about 1% of new cars are plug in electric.

I predict hybrid vehicles will become the dominant technology for a lengthy period before all electric vehicles take over, and I'm talking in and for decades not years.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I must admit that I am seriously considering one, but will probably do it in stages by starting with a plug in hybrid first.

I have solar panels, and am retired so can do most charging during the day, rather than an overnight so I can make best use of those panels.

I plan to get a test drive in an all electric Hyundai Ioniq shortly, which is currently the one all electric car on the market that might tempt me to jump straight to all electric as its (real world) range is big enough to cover every journey I make on one charge with the exception of the odd UK holiday in the west country. It is reasonably priced as well.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I can't see the point of hybrid cars at all, and if there's a sudden technology leap in all electric cars anyone owning a hybrid car at the time will be facing a huge loss because why would anybody buy it off you? Personally I'd stick with an efficient petrol car (or possibly diesel if you do very high mileage) until good electric cars like the Tesla Model 3 and associated fast charging infrastructure are widely available.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have solar panels, and am retired so can do most charging during the day, rather than an overnight so I can make best use of those panels.

Crikey! How big are your solar panels if you can put 24kwh into a car in daylight hours?
    Call it 10 hours, so that is 2.4kW, PVs would need to be around 24m2 and follow the sun.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Stick to petrol for the moment, it will be a long long time before we have the need and the technology for electric cars, not to mention the infrastructure required to facilitate them, ie power stations
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    facade wrote: »
    Crikey! How big are your solar panels if you can put 24kwh into a car in daylight hours?
    Call it 10 hours, so that is 2.4kW, PVs would need to be around 24m2 and follow the sun.

I did not say they would provide the entire charge, but they will certainly significantly reduce the charging costs, and in reality I would very rarely have to charge from near empty batteries..
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    24kwh is not "near empty". Leafs are behind the game with 30kwh batteries - next year's new model will be 60kwh. Tesla are already 100kwh.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback