PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Good morning all . I need to catch up after a long day yesterday but a pretty productive one .
    Just to wish Caronc a good meeting today . If you haven't noticed already a lot of us here are former Civil Servants .

Wednesday A lot of MH Trusts work on the backwards and forwards thing now . Not all are the original services but the private companies who now work within the trust but have bought and taken over many of the services . This is why it's a few years since DDs CBT as they couldn't offer anything but the same with very long waiting lists and what she needs is DBT .

I've had a quick speed read but need to read properly . Picturing various pets adorned with knickers and other items has made me laugh out loud .

Hope you're in less pain and discomfort Cranky .

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    When my hair was growing out I used to get a cheap semi dye from a pound shop just to tide me over and I eventually ended up with an all over colour I thought was silver but Dds insist is platinum :o
    *Sigh* I wish I could convince Mr LW to let me just leave my hair to be it's natural grey; but he insists that I continue colouring it back to the dark red it was when I was young (in fairness, he does this for me) and keeping it long (he trims out the split ends when needed). It's a flippin' nuisance to deal with the whole time, specially as it falls out in handfuls, but when I mention cutting it or letting the colour grow out, he looks so crestfallen that I simply can't insist. :(
    caronc wrote: »
    Good evening everyone,
    Just popping in to say I'm glad everyone is "keeping on, keeping on" as they say there's nowt else for it! ;)
    Tomorrow my manager is coming round as I'm officially "retiring" on 30/09 so I need to hand back all my passes etc. I have to say it feels very odd that after almost 34 years I'll soon be an ex-civil servant :cool:
    Have a virtual (((HUG))) - us Retired Civil Servants have to stick together. ;) It was similar for me; I was signed off sick in 1999, and remained on sick leave til they finally decided to officially put me out to grass in 2001, aged 41.

Wednesday Just..... GGRRRR on your behalf.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Oddly enough LW I've just posted on the NO T Words thread on the subject of hair dying . I gave up years ago but my dd who has been every colour of the rainbow has spent a long time growing hers out , she's a trained colourist but due to her physical health decided enough was enough even with help . I have my little redhead back and she is happy to be free of the whole thing . She's only 32 so may change her mind in the future but for now is happy to be back to the days before life went wrong .

polly x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Candy I've had a big Polti vaporetto for years which is great but much too heavy for more than once a year or so use now . I did consider a handheld steamer but to be honest I don't trust my random concentration level nowadays to be using a steamer .
    Have you managed any progress re the thyroid levels ?

AOT Did you manage to take things easier for a while after your outdoor adventures ?

Wednesday I'm not sure what type of support you were looking for from MH services . There seems to be certain former types of counselling that are difficult to access now .
    My mop is the original E-Cloth mop and smaller one is the same brand neither need any form of added cleaner although i often add lavender essential oil to the water as it works as an antiseptic . For wiping down furniture ( painted ) radiators and paintwork I usually add rose essential oil on an ecloth .

Yesterday went pretty well but was tiring . We usually check with our usual driver the day before just to confirm all is still going ahead . His phone was ringing out and not taking messages we had to call a cab after no reply yesterday morning cue a last minute dash to the surgery .
    Dr gave DD a good examination and discovered although she had just finished the AB from last week she now has an ear infection to add to the others he found last week . He prescribed another course of the AB and decided not to do the steroid injection into her shoulder . We discussed the flu injection due yesterday and he went and fetched the vaccine as he doesn't want to leave her unprotected when she's picking up everything going around . She seems fine and hopefully the ABs will see off the current infection and inflammation .
    So she's back again next Tuesday for the steroid injection . Three times in three weeks I think we may as well set up camp there !

Problem now is the Barbotage appt on Friday out of our area . It's a very early morning appt and like yesterdays appt was already arranged with our driver . Most taxi drivers here don't like out of area jobs as they are losing work traveling back empty .
    We've had an arrangement for a number of years re all appointments with our driver who can choose when he works for the company or himself . However far we travel he keeps himself occupied whether wandering around a diy shed or doing his crosswords in the car depending on location and is never more than a few minutes away when we call him on the mobile to say we're ready to go home .
    It works well DD has got to know and trust him over the years . We laugh and joke and it takes away her stress .
    If we don't get hold of him tomorrow I'll have to phone the main hackney company who are more likely to travel further afield and pre book for Friday allowing extra time to make sure we're there in plenty of time.
    Like our Dr we never take him for granted as things are much easier stress and trust wise but where Dr has a back up he doesn't so I have now discovered a flaw in the all bases covered plan and will need to think about that .
    I'm hoping he and his family are ok as this is totally out of character .
    It's been odd weather wise today so I hope none of you are feeling the aches and pains tonight more than usual .
    Take care
    polly x

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Haven't had my bloods redone yet POLLY, need a kick up the ars3 :rotfl: I hate going n queuing up in the blood clinic. OUt was easier when the doc did it :(
    Just back from seeing Victoria n Abdul, it was fab .Love Judi Dench ☺
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Candy Consider yourself kicked in the direction of the bloods :D
    I'm a real fan of Dame Judi too . Whenever I've visited Knutsford village we do the "Cranford " walk and see Miss Matty's cottage and all the places the tales were based on . i intend getting out the dvds this winter and watching all the episodes again . That was a brilliant cast and well worth watching .
    Now you can give me a kick as I need to summon up the energy to go to bed .
    Goodnight
    polly x

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    Wednesday A lot of MH Trusts work on the backwards and forwards thing now . Not all are the original services but the private companies who now work within the trust but have bought and taken over many of the services . This is why it's a few years since DDs CBT as they couldn't offer anything but the same with very long waiting lists and what she needs is DBT .
    Wednesday I'm not sure what type of support you were looking for from MH services . There seems to be certain former types of counselling that are difficult to access now .

I thought it would be different this time as the last time I tried to access help from MH services was under a Labour government, so a long time ago now.:D

I was really fuming about it and then I just thought I think I will try and go privately for therapy. I was hoping to get referred to a trauma or PTSD therapy as I think that is what I need, but I'm not waiting for the NHS.

We do have some money saved up as we have hardly been out of the house since my husband was diagnosed (!) and so we have been quite frugal and can afford to see a private therapist.

I just bit the bullet and contacted a private therapist yesterday. The therapist already emailed me back so I will send another message for her to call me later today, hopefully.

I feel a bit better now I have sorted that out. If it doesn't work or I don't like the therapist I can always stop seeing her and wait to see what the NHS offer me anyway.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options

Yesterday went pretty well but was tiring . We usually check with our usual driver the day before just to confirm all is still going ahead . His phone was ringing out and not taking messages we had to call a cab after no reply yesterday morning cue a last minute dash to the surgery .

Problem now is the Barbotage appt on Friday out of our area . It's a very early morning appt and like yesterdays appt was already arranged with our driver . Most taxi drivers here don't like out of area jobs as they are losing work traveling back empty .
    We've had an arrangement for a number of years re all appointments with our driver who can choose when he works for the company or himself . However far we travel he keeps himself occupied whether wandering around a diy shed or doing his crosswords in the car depending on location and is never more than a few minutes away when we call him on the mobile to say we're ready to go home .
    It works well DD has got to know and trust him over the years . We laugh and joke and it takes away her stress .
    If we don't get hold of him tomorrow I'll have to phone the main hackney company who are more likely to travel further afield and pre book for Friday allowing extra time to make sure we're there in plenty of time.
    Like our Dr we never take him for granted as things are much easier stress and trust wise but where Dr has a back up he doesn't so I have now discovered a flaw in the all bases covered plan and will need to think about that .
    I'm hoping he and his family are ok as this is totally out of character .

That seems strange if he is usually so reliable, maybe he did have a family emergency or he is unwell? I hope you hear from him.

I usually use the same taxi company if I have to go to an appointment and feel too tired to go by public transport. One of the drivers is hilarious, he is quite a weird person and laughs all the time, lol.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Hopefully you'll hear back today Wednesday. The good thing about going privately is you can walk away if it doesn't help you , although fingers crossed it will .
    Still no word from our driver so will give it a few hours before I try to book one for tomorrow who will go out of the area .
    There are loads of road works along the route so will have to leave much earlier than normal to make sure we get there in good time . I always aim for a minimum of 10 minutes early actually in the department so with DD dosed up to the max it could be fun :rotfl:
    polly x

• ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Candygirl, a friend and I went to see Victoria and Abdul on Friday and enjoyed it. I can only go when someone can give a lift as nearest cinema is two bus rides away.
    Had bad day yesterday with very painful legs. It was a day of just managing a slow shuffle between rooms as necessary, and as many painkillers as possible. Feeling easier today thankfully.
    Polly, when my parents were alive we used to get a taxi down to theirs using a couple of regular drivers who were brilliant. Hope all is ok with your regular driver and you and DD get to appointment with no hassle.
    By the way, I'm another retired Civil Servant!
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure