Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 18th Oct 06, 9:55 AM
    • 17,772 Posts
    • 13,895 Thanks
    hollydays
    Yes,What I have been told is that no-one is "policing" these new laws
  • nigelwgordon
    monarch flight delay
    ive just been to majorca and the flight back to england was delayed by 7 hours due to technical problems with aircraft.the eu rules on delays of over 5 hours state i am entitled to a refund AND a free flight home.monarch over the phone have told me i either get a refund or alternative flight home,NOT both.
    which is correct?and if eu rules are as i understand,what success do people have.it seems pretty clear to me.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 23rd Oct 06, 4:00 PM
    • 17,772 Posts
    • 13,895 Thanks
    hollydays
    Try the website flyertalk.
    • Mr_P
    • By Mr_P 10th Mar 07, 4:37 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Mr_P
    Advice cancelled/delayed Jet2 flight
    Hi.

Wondered if anyone can help/give advice.

my wife and i have just returned from our hol in lanzarote with Jet 2. there plane broke down and we ended up being delayed 26 hours!!! (along with the fact of no communication this was horredous!) just wondered i noticed in the airport all the signs saying flights delayed over 5hours your entitled to a refund - nicely though jet2 say there a none refundable airline but in my eyes EU law would get over that - i havn't contacted them as yet - will do - but just wondered if anyone has had any dealing of anything like this/and advice?

thanks again
    £2008 for 2008 club No. 286
    Jan wins - £213, Feb wins - £55.80 March Wins - £27
    (left to go: £1712.20)
    • jetboy
    • By jetboy 10th Mar 07, 6:39 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    jetboy
    non refundable airline = bilge. They are required to comply with the eu law regarding delays and compensation. The question is: does that law apply to the canaries or not? I reckon it probably does but you need to check. Good luck.
    Timmay!
  • azahar chica
    ryanair - refund of taxes for unused flight
    sorry,don't know whether this is the correct place for this, advice please.

booked a Ryanair return spain to l'pool. changed plans and did not take the outward.

contacted ryanair re refund of the taxes, they said put it in writing, sent it to ireland. when reply came back by e-mail it said that because their admin fee was more than the flight cost, there would be no refund.

i replied asking how much the admin fee was - they ignored this e-mail.

anyone know? or any suggestions as to how to find out.

azahar chica
    :rolleyes: Azahar Chica
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 10th Mar 07, 7:32 PM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 3,747 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Delays are different from cancelation. Martins article re compensation relates to cancelations and "bumping"
    Delays are a different matter altogether. At best depending on time and whether day or night, we are talking meal vouchers and overnight accom
    • huggychair
    • By huggychair 10th Mar 07, 8:21 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    huggychair
    Hi.

Wondered if anyone can help/give advice.

my wife and i have just returned from our hol in lanzarote with Jet 2. there plane broke down and we ended up being delayed 26 hours!!! (along with the fact of nocommunication this was horredous!) just wondered i noticed in the airport all the signs saying flights delayed over 5hours your entitled to a refund - nicely though jet2 say there a none refundable airline but in my eyes EU law would get over that - i havn't contacted them as yet - will do - but just wondered if anyone has had any dealing of anything like this/and advice?

thanks again
    Originally posted by Mr_P
    You ARE entitled to a refund plus a free flight (which you took) read here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4267095.stm

The most intresting bit:
    'You should be offered a refund of your ticket, along with a free flight back to your initial point of departure, when relevant. Or, alternative transport to your final destination'

Last edited by huggychair; 10-03-2007 at 8:32 PM.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Mar 07, 8:57 PM
    • 17,772 Posts
    • 13,895 Thanks
    hollydays
    Has anyone who has posted here actually got compensation under these laws?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 15th Jun 07, 2:17 PM
    • 17,772 Posts
    • 13,895 Thanks
    hollydays
    See latest blog by MSE Lawrence
  • njs184
    We were delayed for 12 hours a couple of weeks ago flying out of manchester to cyprus .We were put on a coach and taken to a hotel in LIVERPOOL .Do i have grounds for a complaint?
    If so does anybody have any ideas of what to put in a letter to the airline(MONARCH)
    many thanks
    Last edited by njs184; 25-07-2007 at 12:13 AM.
    • NKS
    • By NKS 27th Aug 07, 11:51 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NKS
    What about delays for technical reasons en route?
    Itook an Air New Zealand flight from London to Auckland this week. Unusually this was one aircraft and flight number right through (with one boarding card for entire flight) with a 2 hour stop in Hong Kong, sotechnically the entire flight could be classed as originating in Europe (I think). When reboarding iin Hong Kong, we were told after many delays and lots of chaos and lack of info that there was a fault with the wing and the flight was delayed - turned out it was going to be delayed for at least 36 hours. We were eventually fed, watered and put up in a hotel, and the following day they eventually got me rebooked on an alternative flight with another airline, arriving in Auckland 27 hours late (out of a 10 day trip!). I was given an MCO compensation voucher for approx 30 pounds for this, which I think is a bit laughable for a 27 hour delay and a huge amount of stress. I haven't yet cashed this.

Should the compensation be more under the EU rule (as it was a London-originating flight no), or am I stuck with this? When I had a similar 24 hour technical delay on United about 7 years ago, they gave vouchers for about $300 off future flights, which seemed more reasonable, and made me far less grumpy about the delay!

Any advice gratefully received
    • NKS
    • By NKS 27th Aug 07, 12:04 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NKS
    What about delays for technical reasons en route?
    Itook an Air New Zealand flight from London to Auckland this week. Unusually this was one aircraft and flight number right through (with one boarding card for entire flight) with a 2 hour stop in Hong Kong, sotechnically the entire flight could be classed as originating in Europe (I think). When reboarding iin Hong Kong, we were told after many delays and lots of chaos and lack of info that there was a fault with the wing and the flight was delayed - turned out it was going to be delayed for at least 36 hours. We were eventually fed, watered and put up in a hotel, and the following day they eventually got me rebooked on an alternative flight with another airline, arriving in Auckland 27 hours late (out of a 10 day trip!). I was given an MCO compensation voucher for approx 30 pounds for this, which I think is a bit laughable for a 27 hour delay and a huge amount of stress. I haven't yet cashed this.

Should the compensation be more under the EU rule (as it was a London-originating flight no), or am I stuck with this? When I had a similar 24 hour technical delay on United about 7 years ago, they gave vouchers for about $300 off future flights, which seemed more reasonable, and made me far less grumpy about the delay!

Any advice gratefully received
  • dzug
    It's not actually clear whether technical faults are 'extraordinary circumstances' or not. Martin's article suggests that they are not, but I don't believe it's actually defined in the regulations - examples are given, but they are not exhaustive.

The airline's defence would be that they maintained the aircraft in line with Boeing's (or whatever) recommendations and that problems that nevertheless occurred were beyond their control.

It's always worth asking for more - what's not clear is whether you are entitled to more. The EU regulations are very badly worded.
  • dzug
    The article states that technical problems are covered - you have nothing to lose and the airline can face a large fine per passenger if they don't cough up. Nothing to lose by submitting a claim - read the article and go for it, let us know how it goes!
    Originally posted by Crabman
    Whilst the article says that, the regulations don't.

Still worth claiming though. Given that it's Ryanair I wouldn't hold out much hope that they'll even acknowledge receiving your claim
  • dzug
    You ARE entitled to a refund plus a free flight (which you took) read here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4267095.stm

The most intresting bit:
    'You should be offered a refund of your ticket, along with a free flight back to your initial point of departure, when relevant. Or, alternative transport to your final destination'

Originally posted by huggychair
    The intention of that rule is that you can abandon your journey, get returned to your starting point and have your nugatory expenditure (ie your fare on an abortive trip) refunded. It's not 'compensation' as such, but a refund of expenses. It's clearly most relevant on outward trips - if you are on your way home it's of little use to you even if the wording suggests it might be.
  • dzug
    Going back to NKS's post and having reread around the subject - no, I don't believe you are entitled to compensation under the EU laws - but yes they do apply.

What you were entitled to (and should have been offered in Hong Kong - were you?) was the opportunity to return direct to the UK free of charge and have your whole fare UK-NZ and return refunded - ie to abandon your trip. This is regardless of whether it was the airline's fault or not.

If you didn't take up this offer (and you didn't - you continued on your journey) then you got what you were entitled to - to be looked after during the delay. The £30 is in fact a bonus.

Still worth trying for more - but it's not an entitlement.
  • dmg24
    dzug is correct, a delay does not give a right to compensation, a cancellation does. NKS's flight was delayed (albeit for a long time).
  • onewiggie
    Return flight cancelled or delayed??
    I have just returned from Barbados after a 53 hour delay!!

Although we received hotel accom and food we were given no information, went through the checkin procedure 3 times, we returned to the airport even though the plane was still not operational and spent at least half of the 53 hours stuck in the airport! We were told on the 2nd day that the flight was 'cancelled' over a public announcement but do not have written confirmation of this.

We were eventually put with another arline carrier in order for us to return home.

I feel we deserve some compensation due to the stress this caused and having us both missing a days work and having to arrange care for our children as we arrived back on a Monday rather than Saturday as planned.

Can anyone confirm whether we can claim compensation uder the 'cancellations' classification?

:confused:
  • dzug
    I have just returned from Barbados after a 53 hour delay!!

Although we received hotel accom and food we were given no information, went through the checkin procedure 3 times, we returned to the airport even though the plane was still not operational and spent at least half of the 53 hours stuck in the airport! We were told on the 2nd day that the flight was 'cancelled' over a public announcement but do not have written confirmation of this.

We were eventually put with another arline carrier in order for us to return home.

I feel we deserve some compensation due to the stress this caused and having us both missing a days work and having to arrange care for our children as we arrived back on a Monday rather than Saturday as planned.

Can anyone confirm whether we can claim compensation uder the 'cancellations' classification?

:confused:
    Originally posted by onewiggie
    Your holday insurance should pay you something.

Whether the airline is liable under the EU regs is debatable. They wiill probably claim that there were 'extraordinary circumstances' and that all reasonable measures had been taken to avoid what happened. Therefore no compensation. Whether their claim is reasonable - who knows?

You were looked after during the delay, which they are obliged to. You weren't kept informed - but I doubt if anyone had any information to give you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,747Posts Today

5,591Users online

Martin's Twitter