how did you end up in debt?

Comments

• NW-ANGEL
    NW-ANGEL Posts: 299 Forumite
    Tonylpool wrote: »
    Kel, you speak for us all! The empathy on this site is amazing and I can sit here all night reading it!!!

Tony x

So many people must feel alone and like they're in the biggest mess in the world, but you come on here and see there are soooo many people struggling too and yet so many people on here help, even with just the smallest thing.....anyway back to OP kel:rolleyes: ........
  • saver03
    saver03 Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Shopping!!! :mad:

I remember the first time I used my credit card I went crazy. I had it for about 6 months in my purse, just in case. Then I went into HMV and bought eveything that I wanted, quite a few CDs and DVDs :mad: then I went into Selfidges and bought some clothes and foolishly got a store card :mad: I also got my £3000 engagement ring on the credit card :eek: I then got more cards and carried on spending :o I was then off work for 14 months due to illness but didn't want to give up anything even though I was getting less money and at 1 stage I had no income. We still ate out and bought stuff that we didn't really need.
    LBM 14/12/06 £21,947.17 DEBT FREE 12/04/09
    MFW - December 2010 £76,199 - 4th February 2021 £37,360.90
  • bringmeshoes
    bringmeshoes Posts: 2,792 Forumite
    i got into debt as i was homeless (twice!!)
    when i left uni i had nowhere else to go (i had stayed in halls for 3 years)i couldnt get a decent loan as i had been a student and my credit rating had been smashed to bits after the first time i was homless and missed payments ect. i had to put everything on my credit cards to get my flat, rent, deposit, furniture etc..
    last year my credit rating had improved enough to get a loan to consolidate ( i know its not really recommended on here but it was the best option for me !) i cancelled one credit card and kept the other one which i do use occasionally but always pay off in full.
    i'm lucky that comapred to most people my debt is not that big and is manangable for me and i even have something left for a treat each month :D
    The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about - Oscar Wilde:beer:
    Big sister to Hayley11 and Before Hollywood and adopted daughter of Vikingero
  • Yes and it doesn't cost us a penny :j :j

:money: ;);)
    that is one of the reasons it is so brilliant!!

I am still amazed daily at the kindness and empathy shown on this site. It is certainly testament to those that are debt free, that they still come back time and time again to support those of us not there yet.
    The good you do comes back to you.
    DFW Long haul supporters No: 134
    ;)
  • Tonylpool
    Tonylpool Posts: 322 Forumite
    Thanks guys, I have another court hearing on 15 July and I'm quite confident because the judge was really reasonable last time, I will post on my thread and let everyone know how I get on!

Runnybabbit that was lovely to say! X

Tony x
  • Tonylpool wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I have another court hearing on 15 July and I'm quite confident because the judge was really reasonable last time, I will post on my thread and let everyone know how I get on!

Tony x

Good luck Tony!! I hope it goes in your favour and I'm sure your children are hoping for that result to.
    ;)
  • saver03 wrote: »
    Shopping!!! :mad:

I remember the first time I used my credit card I went crazy. I had it for about 6 months in my purse, just in case. Then I went into HMV and bought eveything that I wanted, quite a few CDs and DVDs :mad: then I went into Selfidges and bought some clothes and foolishly got a store card :mad: I also got my £3000 engagement ring on the credit card :eek: I then got more cards and carried on spending :o I was then off work for 14 months due to illness but didn't want to give up anything even though I was getting less money and at 1 stage I had no income. We still ate out and bought stuff that we didn't really need.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.... I have many times used my credit card as if it is SOMEONE elses money!!! Drrrr
    ;)
  • NW-ANGEL
    NW-ANGEL Posts: 299 Forumite
    Tonylpool wrote: »

Tony x
    u beat me to it haha, hope it goes ok Tony

kel
    x
  • i got into debt as i was homeless (twice!!)
    when i left uni i had nowhere else to go (i had stayed in halls for 3 years)i couldnt get a decent loan as i had been a student and my credit rating had been smashed to bits after the first time i was homless and missed payments ect. i had to put everything on my credit cards to get my flat, rent, deposit, furniture etc..
    last year my credit rating had improved enough to get a loan to consolidate ( i know its not really recommended on here but it was the best option for me !) i cancelled one credit card and kept the other one which i do use occasionally but always pay off in full.
    i'm lucky that comapred to most people my debt is not that big and is manangable for me and i even have something left for a treat each month :D

thanks for your reply, and I love your name. My should be bring me wine and chocs!!

Wow you have done well to get through being homeless and now being at the point of having money for treats.... brilliant.
    ;)
  • Tonylpool
    Tonylpool Posts: 322 Forumite
    Thanks Kel x

I'm having my LBM but in a really nice way, I keep getting involved in these forums!

Tony x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport