Drivers of expensive cars - do you get paranoid?

Comments

• Taking up two spaces is only selfish if you do it (a) near the shop doors if it's a shop, or (b) if the car park will fill up. It's reasonable to do if you park at the far side in a car park that won't fill up.

Yeah, but if everybody thought that selfishly, car parks would fill up much more quickly, wouldn’t they? They’d have literally half the capacity.

This plan relies on most people not being complete twossers so that a few can be.
  • When I first get a car I do worry. But usually I park away from the busy bits of the car park and as time goes on in ownership I worry less. 20 inch alloys are however a constant pain as they are the most likely part of the car to get damaged in daily use.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yeah, but if everybody thought that selfishly, car parks would fill up much more quickly, wouldn’t they? They’d have literally half the capacity.

This plan relies on most people not being complete twossers so that a few can be.

Unless its a peak time, most big supermarket car parks are rarely more than half full.

I wouldnt do it because there will be some "vigilante" will take it upon themselves to damage your car if they see you do it because "you deserve it".

Generally theres an end space or a space away from where the bulk of shoppers park that i will go to. I dont mind walking a bit. :)
  • I don't park in busy supermarket car parks through the day. If I go it's usually late at night when its quite and park away from other cars. That's even in an 11 year old Peugeot, just because it's old it doesn't mean that it's fine to just bang your door into it etc.

Also I'm not interested in going to busy out of town shopping centres and retail parks so don't usually have that worry. It's what Amazon and online shopping is for.
  • There's a lot to be said about having an old banger. Life is stressfull enough without worrying about scratches and dents.

Columbo never bothered did he?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Nice car, two door Mercedes cab

Parent and Child spaces My first choice
    Do you always take a child with you? Or do you just take the risk of a militant mum taking revenge?
    don't realise a two door car needs more room than a four door which has smaller doors.
    True on that point. We found that with the old MGF and the current MX5. Another reason for enjoying shopping at Bluewater - which has plenty of larger spaces all round. And still there are idiots who park on the walkways rather than go 100m to the next section...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • I'm always told I need to own a crappy old banger as then my life would be less stressful....as I am very precious about my car. I could never own a crappy old banger as I take pride in whatever I own and could never own a beat up car and be happy driving around in that either!

I always park on the farthest point from the shops, or an end spot near hatchings and pull well over onto them to protect the other side, pull up tight to a wall on one side or a pillar....whatever it takes to leave the biggest gap between me and the dozy !!!! next to me who flings their door open with wild abandon or kids who care little for others property as their parents don't teach them any better.

I always look at where I'm going to park before accepting social engagements. No decent car park with 'safe' spaces and I'm not going. I won't leave it on dodgy streets and will happily walk a fair way in the rain to park in a quieter street.

Bearing in mind I'm a big woman who does no exercise I figure my precious attitude to my car means I do at least get the walk from a distance to the shops ;-)

I also find as another poster said, that some people target a lone car and park next to it because they get a kick out of winding people like me up.

My car was brand new and within 2 weeks it had stone chips but I can live with that as they're unavoidable.

So yes, I live my life in a paranoid way with regard my car and I can't see me ever changing!
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Why do you think you have the right to occupy two spaces?
    Because if he can and does then he has.:T
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,669 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Also some people will automatically park next to another car because they find it easier and don't then have to look down at the lines.

Once I was in a virtually empty carpark with a door open to remove luggage, and someone immediately drove up and tried to park on that side, apparently with the full expectation that I would jump out of the way. I looked up in disbelief and then did an exaggerated panoramic sweep of the empty spaces all around. She made an angry face before reluctantly thrashing off elsewhere. Heh, people.
  • i'm ashamed to say i target cars occupying 2 spaces with a kiss of my car keys when i see them.

I'm not a nice person /shrug.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport