teena Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks you have been such a big help.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    An update from Santander seems to suggest they will be scrapping foreign currency charges on their current account:

Changes to foreign transaction fees (applies to savings accounts also) – effective by 15 December 2019
    You’ll no longer be charged for the following transactions:
    ¡ Foreign currency purchase fee for debit card payments, currently £1.25 per transaction.
    ¡ Cash withdrawal fee (including cash machines, purchase of travellers’ cheques or foreign currency at another bank, bureau de change or other outlet displaying the Visa or Mastercard sign abroad), currently 1.50% on each transaction.
    ¡ Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) - non-urgent euro transfer, currently £15.00

From: https://www.santander.co.uk/assets/s3fs-public/documents/general_t_cs_and_important_information_ca_savings_august_19_do-ec-835.pdf
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    An update from Santander seems to suggest they will be scrapping foreign currency charges on their current account:

Changes to foreign transaction fees (applies to savings accounts also) – effective by 15 December 2019
    You’ll no longer be charged for the following transactions:
    ¡ Foreign currency purchase fee for debit card payments, currently £1.25 per transaction.
    ¡ Cash withdrawal fee (including cash machines, purchase of travellers’ cheques or foreign currency at another bank, bureau de change or other outlet displaying the Visa or Mastercard sign abroad), currently 1.50% on each transaction.
    ¡ Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) - non-urgent euro transfer, currently £15.00

From: https://www.santander.co.uk/assets/s3fs-public/documents/general_t_cs_and_important_information_ca_savings_august_19_do-ec-835.pdf

What about the 2.75% forex fee? Will have a look through the document. It's not opening for me at the moment.
  • stefkb
    Options
    Hi a quick question regarding this card. is it possible to pay money on to this card in advance of leaving and then using the card to withdraw Euros whilst abroad to avoid any charges?
  • jasdev
    jasdev Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I applied for the Barclaycard Rewards card this morning on the basis of its top ranking in the guide; now it's gone!

What happened?

I did find it odd this morning when I was approved and Barclays told me "The card I applied for is no longer available but here is another similar one" which looked identical, so I proceeded to submit my application. Hopefully I don't get a bum deal!

And stefkb, usually this is in contravention of the card terms and conditions, the workaround for you is to have the Halifax app on your phone, check it regularly after withdrawals, and then make a payment from your current account to clear the balance when the ATM withdrawal has cleared. That way you should minimise your interest charges. I think, however, there is a twice per month limit on this, from reading other threads here.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team

• Grae27
    Options
    What happened to the Halifax Clarity card for overseas spending? I still have one and use it regularly and it has always been recommended by Martin Lewis. However, it is not now listed and one of the top overseas credit cards for spending and has been replaced by Santander Zero. Does anyone know why? What does the Santander Zero card offer that Halifax Clarity does not? Thanks
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Grae27 said:
    What happened to the Halifax Clarity card for overseas spending? ... it is not now listed and one of the top overseas credit cards for spending and has been replaced by Santander Zero. Does anyone know why? 
    ?? Whaddaya mean "not now listed". Yes it is- top of the list:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/#halifax
    As you say- it's a great card.  I ust looked at my statement and see I got an effective rate of 1.22 euros to the pound 2 week ago in Spain, admittedly when the pound was high. But on the 1,000+ Euros I paid locally for my holiday accommodation that represented a saving of £40 odd compared with the best cash rate I got immediately before leaving the UK using this website's Travel Money Max tool and pre-ordering online .  If I'd traded cash at the Post Office I'd be down 60-70 squid!
  • Wesman
    Wesman Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    How can I pay a monthly allowance to a teenage grandchild LIVING with parents IN SPAIN to minimise currency conversion costs?
    Could any of the "Travel credit cards" or "overseas debit card" allow him to withdraw controlled amounts in euros which I deposit in sterling? If so would he have a card on my account?
    If not what is the best way to arrange it?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is your grandchild's age and what bank accounts etc are available there for them to receive funds..?
    Wesman said:
    How can I pay a monthly allowance to a teenage grandchild LIVING with parents IN SPAIN to minimise currency conversion costs?
    Could any of the "Travel credit cards" or "overseas debit card" allow him to withdraw controlled amounts in euros which I deposit in sterling? If so would he have a card on my account?
    If not what is the best way to arrange it?

Evolution, not revolution
  • Atlanticboy
    Options
    Hi, I've looked at the travel card guide but have a question which I couldn't see an answer in the guide and wondered if I could get some advice on here.
    I had a Post Office (Bank of Ireland/MasterCard) credit card for many years and have been very happy with it, I used it in the UK and abroad. However a new company called JaJa has bought up the customer accounts and to be honest they don't fill me with a great deal of confidence. Correspondence from them is minimal and also there have been problems with their app which caused me (and other customers) a lot of frustration.
    Consequently I would like to end my JaJa card agreement and look around for a better credit card deal, however when I have used MSE to check whether I would be accepted by a new credit card company in the past I have been rejected. My question is would It be better if I cancel my JaJa card and then look for a new credit card company, or could I by doing that mean that I could be stuck without a card.
    I always pay my bill in full every month so I don't know why I should be rejected for poor credit rating?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback