MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all

Options

Comments

• Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is it guaranteed that all the people on one booking will be allocated seats together? Perhaps they will dispurse the group through the plane to encourage payment of the £5 fees?

So, passengers can check in two weeks before but only get the seat number 24 hours before. How is this communicated? Will there be a fee to find out your seat number at the airport for anyone who forgot to make a note or take a print? What about those who cannot check emails 24 hours before the flight e.g. when on holiday abroad?

I wonder if they will let people on one booking be seated far apart. It could be nice for some trips. ;)

Bet they keep check-in up to two weeks (or longer). Then they can sell seat-reservations as you check-in until 24-hours before the flight. I suspect that though non-payers will get seats allocated 24-hours in advance they will only find out the seat number at the gate.
  • Mr_Wang
    Mr_Wang Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    Options
    This is exactly what happens on most budget airlines across Asia - They automatically assign you the middle seat and occasionally the aisle seat.
    If you get the window you are seriously lucky!
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ok if you want to be seated with your children and partner/helper, you pay for seats together.

Otherwise, your seats are assigned. Now I couldn't care less for a two hour trip if I am beside or beyond OH. We can cope.

The big thing is, there will not be a rush for the seats. Or will there?

That seems to happen in every airline. You know, the scrum at the Q, when your seat is assigned anyway!

I just don't get that?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So what happens when 100% of punters decide not to pay the £5?
  • melanzana
    Options
    Mr_Wang wrote: »
    This is exactly what happens on most budget airlines across Asia - They automatically assign you the middle seat and occasionally the aisle seat.
    If you get the window you are seriously lucky!

If its a short trip who cares?

I cannot understand the desire for a window seat. As soon as you sit down you need to have a P. and disturb everyone.

And all you can see are the clouds!

Maybe it's something to do with being able to fall asleep with your noggin facing the window so no one sees your drools. I dunno.

I don't mind what seat I'm in. I must be so happy To be travelling at all!

We are privileged. And maybe it's a competition as to who gets what.....

Daft.

Someone has to get the middle seat!
  • Dave_save
    Dave_save Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As long as I get a seat that's not next to an obese unwashed person, I really don't mind. However, I've managed to avoid Ryanair for a few years now, my own personal protest against O'Leary's constant revenue raising schemes.
  • melanzana
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    So what happens when 100% of punters decide not to pay the £5?

You will be assigned a seat. No worries. But if you are travelling with your children and maybe elderly relatives, you might like to ensure you are together.

Most, including myself couldn't care less, but will be happy that I know I have a seat assigned!
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    At least it will reduce the mad rush of people trying to get on the plane, changing to "rows X and above are now boarding".

(I prefer getting a seat near the back, just means I can get on the plane earlier, sit down and start reading as everybody else gets onboard)
  • ellie3009_2
    Options
    For some bookings presumably they will HAVE to allocated together regardless of payement - they can hardly sit parents at the other end of the plane from their screaming 4 year old...
    Although sometimes the parents might prefer it ;)
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    That seems to happen in every airline. You know, the scrum at the Q, when your seat is assigned anyway! I just don't get that?
    I agree and I often think the same thing, but several incentives spring to mind when I think about it:
    • Finding optimal overhead locker space for your cabin baggage
    • Not having to wait behind the inconsiderate people who spend an excessive amount of time putting their baggage into the overhead lockers and subsequently stand in the aisle
    • Fear that someone will sit in your seat and you will have the hassle of evicting them (it does happen)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure