How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!

Comments

• jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Inactive, you did notice that the posters on here are giving tips for a DFW'ers holiday??

We are allowed to enjoy ourselves too, even if we can't afford lavish breaks like others...
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Inactive - I believe that even if you are bankrupt you are allowed a small monthly allowance towards a budget to take a modest family holiday.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • dumpy
    dumpy Posts: 520 Forumite
    Is it worth joining something like the National Trust? They have a family ticket (i think £58) which would allow you entry into various places in North Wales such as castles and gardens and many have family day events over the summer. It lasts a year so you may even get some days out as well at home after the holiday.

You can search their website for events and properties to see if you would want to visit before paying the membership.....
  • Inactive wrote: »
    I don't normally look in here, because I don't have any debts.

Are you people serious about going on holiday whilst owing thousands of pounds to others?

I would have thought a holiday would be the last thing on your minds if you are serious about paying off your debts.

I await the excuses.:rolleyes:

The mind boggles. :confused:

Hi Inactive
    I wondered if/when the "self righteous" would arrive! No excuses from me - simple facts are all I need;
    • I am dealing with what I owe - all will be repaid including interest, penalty fees and unneccessary ppi!
    • The debt is mine, not my dh and not my children - perhaps I should suggest they go on holiday without me as my penance! Although in reality that would probably be more of a penance for my dh!! (oops sorry sense of humour showing - not allowed that when in debt me thinks!)
    I don't know why I'm justifying myself to you but please withhold your judgement of the people in this forum as a "regular money saver" you are already aware of Martins regard to etiquette and should be obliged to respect it!

Take care and best wishes to you and yours!
    IDA
    x
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    It has been really interesting readin this as we haven't had a holiday ever! but we would really like too but everything seems to expensive-I have got some really good tips from here so thankyou everyon and thankyou IDA for starting this thread.
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • Inactive wrote: »
    I don't normally look in here, because I don't have any debts.

Are you people serious about going on holiday whilst owing thousands of pounds to others?

I would have thought a holiday would be the last thing on your minds if you are serious about paying off your debts.

I await the excuses.:rolleyes:

The mind boggles. :confused:

I'm not in debt either, I just like reading these board because it give great tips for saving money.

I would certainly have a more modest break if I was, but I do agree that a cheap holiday would keep the morale up and especially if you have children I think its important to still allow them to experiance a holiday.

My parents were never in debt but times were very tight, and they used to take us away in their tiny old caravan untill they could afford better. We had such a wonderful time, being away from home was so exciting and yet it probably cost very little. We didn't go out to dinner, get take aways or go to theme parks, we just had lovely family time together.

Sarah
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    perhaps I should suggest they go on holiday without me as my penance

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I agree IDA, it's only me who is on a DMP and hardly fair to tell OH we are not going and his money should pay my debt instead!!

The money for the food for the week will have to be our usual weekly grocery spend (if I am very good this month there might be a bit more than normal). Part of the petrol money comes from my petrol budget - OH will pay the rest. So I am most certainly not getting into any additional debt by going away for a week!

And for the record, I am the cook and so if I didn't go then either OH would have to cook or else much more money would be spent eating out!!
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Hi Inactive
    I don't know why I'm justifying myself to you but please withhold your judgement of the people in this forum as a "regular money saver" you are already aware of Martins regard to etiquette and should be obliged to respect it!

Sorry, I was expressing a valid opinion, nothing wrong with that surely.

I was just surprised at the sense of values that this thread implies, you are all talking about holidays, personally if I was in debt, I wouldn't dream of going on holiday until I had paid my debts off as quickly as possible.

I cannot see anything wrong with that, it seems to be the most responsible way forward to me.

Oh well.
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    None of us have to justify what we do to anyone.

In my opinion, if I choose to shop carefully for groceries 50 weeks of the year to give my children days out in the summer, then that is my business.

Why should my kids not have the occasional treat, just because their mum used to be bad with money.
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport