Family travel on London Undergroud

We are a family of 4 heading to London for 2 days at half term. Kids are 16 and 12. What's the easiest (cheapest) way to sort out tickets for the Underground. I've tried reading the TfL website but I'm non the wiser!!

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Easiest way as a visitor is for everyone 16+ to tap in and out at stations with contactless bank card, and buy the 12yr old a one day travel card each day. However if you are making less than 4 trips a day, it will be cheaper for the 12yr old to also use a contactless bank card instead of a travel card

Each person needs a bank card, you cant use the same card to tap in and out for all of you
  • I agree that TFL website is difficult to negotiate.
    We used this on last visit as we already had an old Oyster card, a member of TFL staff just changed it to a child visitor pass and tap in and out as normal but get child discount.

I can't post link as I'm new but this is the extract from TfL

Travelling With Children
    If your child is aged 11-15, you can ask a member of staff to set a Young Visitor discount on an Oyster or Visitor Oyster card, allowing them to pay as you go at half-adult rate for up to 14 days. Staff can do this at:
    Any Tube station

Enjoy
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if you could use one contactless card or need separate ones.

Looks like I will need to register the cards on TfL website before I can use them? Is that correct?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    No need to register the contactless cards. You just need one each.

If you don't think you will reach the daily capping limits consider using buses instead of tubes.

You can do multiple bus (and tram) journeys for £1.50 as long as the last bus journey starts within 70 minutes (not an hour as the official TFL info states as there is a 10 minute grace period) of the first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure