PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cracks in gable wall in house near beach

Options
Hi,

I am currently looking to purchase a semi detached house about 50m from a beach. The house is built primarily on sand or very sandy soil and is around 100 years old. The house is pebble dashed (as are most on the street) and the pebble dash appears to either be original or long standing pebble dash. There is cracking in the gable wall outside the kitchen window where the drain (soil and kitchen) enter the ground. The cracking runs from the floor to the ground floor kitchen window and then from the lintel of the kitchen window to the first floor (bathroom) window. There are a 4 or 5 cracks in total. I have had a structural survey carried out and the surveyor says it is probably due to a leaking drain which has washed away some of the sand/soil and is ongoing but cannot be certain that it is a leaking drain without excavating and knocking off the pebble dash render to see the extent of the cracking. He also says that if it is a leaking drain and it is repaired then it is likely that it will not get any worse and will not require underpinning.

Does anybody have any experience with something similar and would be willing to share their knowledge and experience? I am most concerned about the requirement to underpin due to the cost and prospects of a sale in the future.

I am most grateful for any input and thank you in advance.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Post a picture?
  • kelfish
    kelfish Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There is nothing really to show just cracks in the pebble dash render in an exterior wall. I was just wondering if anybody had experience of something similar -

Either sand/soil being eroded by a leaking drain and what happened

or

a surveyor stating that it was likely that the movement was due to a leaking drain and it this was the case
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If this house is anywhere along the Norfolk coast, it won't be long before it is out in the sea somewhere. Just 50m from the beach is way, way too close.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    This springs to mind,

Matthew 7:24-27

Build Your House on the Rock

24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”
  • Rosieandjim
    Options
    Agree 50m from sea would be a big red flag.
  • kelfish
    kelfish Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The house is in a street with probably over a hundred houses and there is a sea wall. As far as I am aware all are still standing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure