Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 10th Dec 19, 8:16 PM
    • 13,502Posts
    • 9,324Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Amex: changing to free card.
    • 10th Dec 19, 8:16 PM
    Amex: changing to free card. 10th Dec 19 at 8:16 PM
    For the last 11 months I have been using the Amex Preferred Rewards, which is free for the first year and then an annual fee kicks in. I would like to replace it with another card with no fee, and keep the reward points I have earned this year. Has anyone been through this process? Can you advise on the best way to achieve my goal of holding on to my points while not paying for a card?
Page 1
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Dec 19, 8:49 PM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 2,633 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 10th Dec 19, 8:49 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 8:49 PM
    Which specific free card did you have in mind to change to?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Dec 19, 7:36 AM
    • 7,282 Posts
    • 4,845 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 11th Dec 19, 7:36 AM
    • 11th Dec 19, 7:36 AM
    Get the standard Amex Rewards credit card.

You won’t be eligible for any of the signup bonuses, not does the card come with any annual spend points bonuses, but at least you’ll maintain your rewards account and continue earning points

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/rewards-credit-card/
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 11th Dec 19, 7:40 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    sazaccount
    • 11th Dec 19, 7:40 PM
    • 11th Dec 19, 7:40 PM

You won’t be eligible for any of the signup bonuses, not does the card come with any annual spend points bonuses, but at least you’ll maintain your rewards account and continue earning points

Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    ^^^ This I called last night to cancel my card just before the fee was due and they suggested to apply for the standard rewards card and you can keep your points, if not then you have 30 days from closing the account to spend the points before they are donated to charity (I got a 10 pound waterstones card just to get rid of 2000 of the 2471 points I had) I have already had 120 pounds worth of amazon voucher

You just don't get any signing bonus for 2 year!!
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 17th Dec 19, 7:01 PM
    • 13,502 Posts
    • 9,324 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 17th Dec 19, 7:01 PM
    • 17th Dec 19, 7:01 PM

Originally posted by Gary_Dexter

A nice idea, but...

Their telephone staff say there is no way to exchange cards: you have to apply for the new card and then give up the old one. So I did an on-line application and was declined. Oddly enough, that was the same day on which I received a letter from them offering me a credit limit increase.

Would there be any sense in appealing?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th Dec 19, 7:21 PM
    • 7,282 Posts
    • 4,845 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 17th Dec 19, 7:21 PM
    • 17th Dec 19, 7:21 PM
    You can appeal it - appeal it on the basis you want to change product and remain a customer of theirs - Amex are more forgiving on that front than other lenders.

Also if approved, don’t close the Preferred Gold Card; you can transfer the limit over to the new Rewards card, and then you can close the Gold Card.

Note that if you do just decide to close the Gold Card without the Rewards Card you only have so long to spend or transfer your MR points before you lose them.

Likewise if the renewal does tick over you will get a pro-data refund of the £140.

Did you reach the £15k spend for the 10,000 extra points?
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th Dec 19, 8:47 PM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 2,633 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 17th Dec 19, 8:47 PM
    • 17th Dec 19, 8:47 PM
    Amex have traditionally charged fees and like customers who pay fees. The higher fee the customer pays the more Amex like the customer. When the customer tries to downgrade to a card with a lower fee (or no fee at all) Amex don't like it one little bit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,965Posts Today

7,796Users online

Martin's Twitter