2020 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all, I would definitely like to spend 2020 living frugally. My circumstances have changed drastically meaning I am now the sole grown up living with my two teenagers.

I have no debts and luckily have paid a large amount off the mortgage already. During 2020 I will need to sort out the damp on the front of the house which I fear will be expensive. Although I have savings I could do this with, they really are my emergency fund. I would like to be able to save enough out of my monthly budget to pay for some, if not all of the building work.

I would also like to take the kids on holiday, again I'd like to save for this.

I seem to be at the age where I am enjoying having a quiet life - my spends are on the odd night out with friends ........... and plants. I am a plantaholic. I bought loads of seeds in the wilco sale though so really I shouldn't need to buy any next year :)

Looking forward to hearing your stories and being inspired :T:T
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Dear Santa - I mean Frugldom - please put me on your list. I will try to be as good as this year maybe even better. I'm sure this thread is how I have stayed off the naughty list. :D

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Welcome to the imaginery, magic list of financial freedom fighters and welcome back. :T

Welcome back to all those familiar names I'm seeing and to our newcomers. I wanted the 2020 challenge set up in time for end of November as, for many of us, this will be the last pay day until after Christmas and possibly even New Year, depending on your holiday allowances or other conditions applied to income payments.

If you are new to all of this, just register as a member of Moneysavingexpert.com and for using the forums then look for the Debt Free Wannabe section to find this challenge. You can then choose whether r not you want to post, take part or simply follow along to watch the progress of others.

There are no silly questions in frugal living - everything is relevant, so never be afraid to ask.

We pride ourselves on having one of the friendliest groups of people all pursuing the same interests in simple or frugal living, as near zero waste as is possible, paying off debts (including mortgages) and affording to live the life you want to live. There is always someone around to talk to here and if nobody seems to be here, feel free to private message me and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thank you to those of you who have chosen to follow this challenge and to those who have been pursuing a frugal lifestyle. :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Kitchenbunny
    Options
    I shall join for 2020 if that’s ok? I usually just lurk but the aim is to be super frugal so I can (hopefully) buy an electric car. Goals-wise it’s just to not spend money - particularly on useless or wasteful things.

Looking forward to a frugal 2020.
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • Tanya12345
    Tanya12345 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 November 2019 at 11:00PM
    Options
    Oh yes please ! Income going down, want to be in charge of my money instead of the other way around......
    Ps Cornwallmaid in another cyberspace !!
    Journey on the Frugal Wagon to Self Reliance.
    Making money work for me, not the other way round
  • Shopaholic_no_more
    Options
    I’m definitely in again too! Have made massive advances in my debt this year and this forum has been at the forefront of it happening so Thankyou everyone and bring on 2020! Yay!:T
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for joining us on here and committing to not spending in 2020. :)

This is definitely more about needs than wants but it is not self-imposed poverty, it is about finding financial freedom.

Hi, Cornwallmaid! :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm in again for 2020, well for life, really :)

2019 has been quite a learning curve, debt paid off and learning how to save and live a little, so 2020 will be the year to get those habits as my new 'norm'.

Who knew debt freedom would be so tricky to navigate!

Hi Frugaldom and Cornwallmaid :)
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Brilliant Frugaldom thankyou, I’m in
    I have definitely taken my eye off the ball in 2019 and so I am determined to get back on track in 2020
    Thanks for running this :T
  • FrankieM wrote: »
    …..debt paid off and learning how to save and live a little, so 2020 will be the year to get those habits as my new 'norm'

Who knew debt freedom would be so tricky to navigate!

I absolutely agree, FrankieM:T:T:T. That's why I'm joining the challenge.

It's a whole new world isn't it, being debt free at last? I imagine it's a bit like being let out of prison on licence:rotfl:
  • Tanya12345
    Options
    Hi FrankieM and Frugaldom
    here's hoping for a lovely frugal year ahead for us all xx
    Journey on the Frugal Wagon to Self Reliance.
    Making money work for me, not the other way round
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport