Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen S
    • By MSE Helen S 11th Mar 14, 7:01 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen S
    0 WOW
    Avoid Passport Shyster Sites
    • 11th Mar 14, 7:01 PM
    0 WOW
    Avoid Passport Shyster Sites 11th Mar 14 at 7:01 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,

Helen
Page 3
  • bigbill1968
    complaints@britishpassportservices.org.uk.

I filled in their application form in a panic (as I thought I would be unable to go on my holiday that I've booked for the 19th of August)
    Originally posted by WelshDaf
    Just wondering if you managed to resolve the situation with british passport services or did you just ignore them??
  • Daisy666
    Just got shafted!
    I am such a d*ck and just got shafted.

I needed to apply for my passport renewal quickly due to unforeseen circumstances and I asked the post office and they said I can go online and the info would be there as they had run out of forms. They said I could arrange an appointment and pick a passport up on the same day. I looked online found the number and called. I assumed I had found the official number.

They booked an appointment for me and I asked how much the passport would be after I gave them my details and they quoted a price of £117.00 and asked me to pay straight away, so I did. I received another call 3 days later to make sure I was going to make the appointment, and if I had filled out the relevant forms, and they asked me to bring the payment to the office.

I explained that I had already paid and they then told me that yes actually they can see that I have paid, so I wouldn't need it.

When I got to the Passport Office there was no appointment and I showed them my paperwork I had received and they then said that they had seen this before and that it was a website or SCAM site, (I never used that word). That is what the Passport Agency told me!

The site passportagencyservices .co.uk is fundamentally dishonest and is targeted at those seeking to urgently apply for or renew a UK passport.

This Service is clearly a very slick way of posing as something they are not. Is there any way that I can warn others? They stole from me, did not arrange any appointment (even if they did they have taken advantage of my lack of understanding that these sites exist). They have taken £117.60 from me and are still asking for the bill even though it has been paid! Now they are threatening me with solicitors. I did not even get an appointment! I really am not sure what to do, Or who to go to.

I feel like such a tw*t!
  • Upset33
    Been conned by passports-office.co.uk
    This is a very clever website intended to defraud. It charges £92.50 and pretends to renew your passport application. It doesn't. The telephone number quoted does not allow enquiries. They also don't reply to the one email address listed.
    I realised within 1 hour of giving them my card details and immediately tried to cancel with them and have had no response. I contact my bank HSBC to stop any payment but they tell me they can't stop it. This seems daft as it encourages these fraudulent websites.
    These websites need to be banned and Google should ensure that the correct website comes out as the first search.

Back to paper for me
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Jan 15, 1:34 PM
    • 24,498 Posts
    • 65,888 Thanks
    Pollycat
    What did you put in as your search on Google?

I searched for 'passport renewal' and the first 6 links were all the GOV.UK (official) website.

The government has apparently been working with Google to get rid of these links that are not the official website.

There used to be loads of them a while back.
    • fermi
    • By fermi 31st Jan 15, 1:23 PM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    Important info here for the britishpassportservices issue

---> http://legalbeagles.info/consumers-still-caught-misleading-passport-websites/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • fermi
    • By fermi 27th Feb 15, 9:56 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    Today on 'You & Yours' - Radio 4 - 12:15pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053c3p8

Shari Vahl has investigated a website that charges for passport appointments, and explains why it is suing many of its customers.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• fermi
    • By fermi 30th Apr 15, 11:32 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    Britishpassportservices / ukpassportservices / uk services and support ltd

Lose in court

Twice

• fermi
    • By fermi 30th Apr 15, 5:37 PM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    ‘Passport Profiteer’ loses in Court

http://legalbeagles.info/passport-profiteer-loses-in-court-over-copycat-website-fee-claims/

• zagfles
    • By zagfles 30th Apr 15, 6:22 PM
    • 14,919 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    zagfles
    Excellent news!
    • titchy
    • By titchy 22nd Jul 15, 2:23 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    titchy
    Photos
    As this is the 60 second renewal page and not only about being ripped off I though I would bring up the subject of Photographs for Passports.
    A while back I found a web site that for £2 delivered 4 checked passport photos and they did most of the checking before I paid then did a check.

I have not found the site again but it made photos cheap as there was no trip to make to get them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

370Posts Today

5,285Users online

Martin's Twitter