Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 6th Feb 07, 6:01 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Home Insurance Discussion
    • 6th Feb 07, 6:01 PM
    Home Insurance Discussion 6th Feb 07 at 6:01 PM
    This discussion relates to the

New Home Insurance Article

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

(to read the old discussion see
    here)

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-02-2007 at 6:42 PM.
Page 3
  • NickyE
    NickyE
    Does anyone know of a good (preferably cheap) insurer for houses in an area liable to flooding? I've only had a small amount of water -damage once in 14 years, and that was caused by people driving through the water on the road too fast and making waves, but I can't 'agree' on quotes that I am NOT in an area that is liable to damage. Can anybody help ? Present insurer is Halifax, not a bad price last year but I was very unhappy with the way they dealt with my claim. They apologised but I would rather change if I can.
    I love this site too, it has saved me lots since I discovered it !
  • Isabelle
    Home renewal Insurance

I decided to look into this as I am fed up giving my hard-earned cash away!
    I was paying 334.56/year for buildings insurance from HSBC (as I got a mortgage throught them years ago, not for the last 3 years though!), and 201.42 for contents through Norwich Union.

I got a quote from Tesco last night for 164.85 for both !!!!!!!
    A grand saving of 371.13!!!!!!!!

And yes, I went for similar excesses, cover, etc...

Isabelle (well chuffed with myself!)
  • sunshineseeker
    Insurance for underpinned properties
    :confused: Hi Everyone. Very new to this but hopefully I'm in the right place. I've just received my home (buildings and contents) renewal from my current provider (the Halifax) which seems to me to be expensive. They total over 700. The only problem I have is that my house is underpinned and the Halifax are aware of this although we do not live in a high risk area. The way I see it, my house is a lot less likely to fall down than the neighbours!! Anyhow, does anyone know of insurers that are willing to insure underpinned properties and that give reasonable renewals quotes on properties that are underpinned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
    Sunshineseeker x

• pingu79
    Hi,

further to the last post, just had my mining report back on a propety I'm purchasing and it has had a claim 20years ago for subsidenece. It has been repaired and no ongoing movement. Any ideas where to go for reasonable insurance.

Just feel like some Co's are taking the pee.

Thanks
    • technolog
    • By technolog 1st Apr 07, 1:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    technolog
    Bankrupt lodger upping my renewal
    Hi,

My best mate moved in last July after having to give up his house due to bankruptcy. I rang my insurers (Norwich Union) at the time to inform them and they said it wouldn't make any difference to the cost of my insurance.

Last year my insurance was about 250, this year Norwich Union quoted 305.07 (the usual loyal customer sucker increase) for renewal so I thought I'd better shop around.

I was gutted to have missed Tesco's offer by a couple of days but used the MSE suggested sites and got a quote of 158 from (I think) MasterQuote. When I clicked through to their site to confirm the quote and answered all their questions - which included asking about lodgers and if anyone living at the property had ever been made banrupt - and the quote increases to 299.

So does anyone know of any companies that take a more reasonable view of bankrupt lodgers or preferably don't ask such awkward questions. Any other ideas for shaving a few pounds off would be welcome.
    If brains were dynamite, he wouldn't have enough to blow his hat off!
  • sarerb18
    Legal fees or not, that is the question
    Sorry probably the wrong place but I am about to renew contents insurance and wondered if I really need the legal fees? Not my building.

Any thoughts on this please.

:confused:

Sarer
    http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/sarerdavis
  • losinj
    Renewal negotiation
    Hi

Just queried my buildings & contents renewal quote from Churchill. They wanted almost 40 more (141 first year). I phoned them and said if they could not significantly improve on it I would shop around. (No particular loyalty to Churchill, but last year on price they beat the pants off anyone else I tried.)

Initially they wanted to know if I'd got cheaper quotes elsewhere, but when I said not and pushed them for a better figure there and then they knocked off over 30. So for less than a tenner and no shopping around I was happy to stick with them as I felt I still had a good deal (on price, anyway). And for a flat, too.
  • mofarnb
    Changing insurance if house had subsidence.
    Please can someone help. I have spent ages trying to get cheaper building insurance. Currently paying over 900 for buildings and contents on a 4 bed semi with no claims for over 5 years!!!
    BUT as the house was underpinned over 25 years ago cannot seem to get cheaper insurance. In area where I live most houses had problems in late 70's early 80's. How does every one else get round this.
    Please can someone help?
  • melia
    I would like to make a claim on my accidental damage contents policy for my computer. However I have been informed by the Post Office (my insurers) Pc's are covered however lap tops are not. Has anyone else came up against this problem. As alot of people now have lap tops how can we insure them.
    Last edited by melia; 25-04-2007 at 9:51 PM.
  • expat_mike
    Not so low cost home insurance from Norwich Union
    Two years ago I was suckered into changing from my existing Insurance company I'd been with for more than 15 years to a subsidiary of Norwich Union called Intasure. They sell primarily by tele-sales and on the face of it its sounds a good deal compared to others in the market. BUT, come my first claim in a life time nearly two years later after 2 months arguing, I was denied my claim for storm damage to building and contents on various spurious reasons over the two months. First it was claimed I didn't have accidental damage cover as storm damage was an accident and not an act of god for some undefinable reason. Then the weather wasn't bad enough but the loss adjuster failed to inspect the damage close up. Finally Norwich Union pulled out a new secret clause stating that the wind hadn't reached a certain critical speed they use internally for claims. In essence there were more caveats than swiss cheese has holes and their whole approach was to find any excuse not to pay out. Beware also the 'excess' game they play whereby they quote you an excess of say 100, but fail to say up front it applies on eight different elements you are covered for. One incident can then cost you 800 excess if the all eight elements are affected by the claim. I was not alone in my anger as my new insurance broker made the point that they had dumped Intasure because of all the complaints they had received. Low cost is not always the best policy unless you get a lawyer to check out the policy & schedule first.
  • Justine M
    Honesty pays!
    Hi,
    Just wanted to share my home insurance renewal adventure.

Last year I used Martins advice and cut my Buildin and Contents from about 400 to 104, its a 3 bed semi, 1950s. The quote was from Master Quote through one of the robots that Matin suggested (can't remember which one).

This years renewal has just arrived and, being a much savvier consumer now, I ran the robots again, but the cheapest was 141 (my renewal is 104.24). So I checked through my renewal and realised that it says I have a burgular alarm - which I haven't. :confused: Dilemma about whether or not to come clean, as I was sure it would push my renewal up to the price of the recent quotes. So, my conscience got the better of me and I rang them and surrpisingly my renewal came down to 103.71 - maybe it was because I'd already told them I was checking competitor prices on the web?

So, now I feel virtuous because I have admitted I don't have an alarm, I have checked that I am getting the best price, and I have paid it in full on my cash back credit card - quids in!

What would we do without this site?!
    • CharleneUK
    • By CharleneUK 7th May 07, 10:12 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    CharleneUK
    I'm in the process of arranging my very first buildings and contents insurance and it's all very confusing!

Cheapest quote I've had our with More than for £272, but it may be because I'm entering incorrect information! Off to read Martins article.
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"

Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 2
  • Mini John
    Hiya all!

Does anybody know if you can take out contents insurance with one company and building insurance with another. Don't think you can but thought i'd better check.

Cheers
    Originally posted by fegan2401
    Hello MSE's - first post but been readinbg MSE for some time. You can have seporate buildings and contents insurance but be warned, if (god forbid), say you had a fire, or a flood, which damaged both your contents and buildings you would have to make a claim with both insurers and pay 2x excess's. Its usually hard enough to deal with one insurer when claiming let alone two. Plus the two will never talk to eachother, ie if your walls needed doing by your buildings insurer you dont want your lovely new carpets put down before by your contents insurer....you have to project manage. Where as if it was with all one insurer they will arrange evertyone for you....well, they are meant to anyway. Wasnt always the case when I was dealing with insurance complaints.
  • Mini John
    Then tell the Insurance company about it! Seriously, we do not get enough complaints from customers about builders, and we cannot do anything about them until people tell us. Cunninghams arnt just Norwich Unions LA's either, there a general overflow provider for alot of companies.

I work for and insurance company as part of their technical claims team, and to be honest even without looking at your policy properly, I doubt it.

You would have to argue that the boiler is a content in the first place (its a buildings item, as it is a fixed water installation, in the same way bathroom suites are buildings)

You would then have to prove that the damage was as a result of an operating cause- i.e. it is one of the list of perils. Given that they are normally Storm, Fire, AD, Escape of water/Oil.

A buildings/contents policy generally covers damage from outside sources (in very broad terms) and NOT wear and tear, which is what this is. Nothing sneaky about it at all, as you have not paid for that sort of cover.
    Originally posted by FlameCloud
    as per last post - a boiler is fixed and would come under buildings not contents. Most buildins insurers exclude mechanical preakdown. However, the was a thing on watchdog recently about boilers which have faulty PCB. Loads of them were going wrong and the company who made them refused to agree. However they changed their minds when watchdog became incolved and offered to refund. Mine went but i was covered with B'gas at the time. Its the mini boiler with the little door on the right hand side with the reset switch and a little knob which controls the water temp - if that sounds like yours look on the bbc site, you may be able to get your money back.
  • Mini John
    I would like to make a claim on my accidental damage contents policy for my computer. However I have been informed by the Post Office (my insurers) Pc's are covered however lap tops are not. Has anyone else came up against this problem. As alot of people now have lap tops how can we insure them.
    Originally posted by melia
    Dont know if i'm too late on this one - Laptops are considered to be personal belongings and not a general household content. there is usually a definitions secion in most policy documents which may state what the insurer classes a personal belonging. Most insurers will offer personal belongings (in and away from home) cover. This will cover your PB's (laptop) if damaged out or in the home. If your insurers dont define a laptop being a personal belonging then you may be able to argue you were not aware of their definition and complain. I used to work for a large insurance company dealing with complaints and you will be surprised at the number of claims which i covered because the wording was clear or the policyholder had been a loyal customer for years and never made a claim. However, be very nice to them, i was more likely to pay out that way
  • riffraff
    2 claims or less in last 5 years? Try Direct Line.
    Until this year I had been insured with Legal & General via a local broker. Unfortunately, we had claimed for a break-in in 2003 and damaged to our garden wall by a spanish lorry in 2005. This has pushed up our premiums and despite using screen scrapers etc we always seemed to get the best deal haggling with our broker.
    Anyway, when this years renewal arrived at over 400 I decided to make a bit more effort to get a better deal. The L&G policy was all-singing-all-dancing and was frankly overkill in certain areas so I trawled through the screen scrapers yet again asking for a lower level of cover and accepting increased excess amounts. While this resulted in lower premiums the savings were a bit disappointing with best prices around 350. I imagine the claims history was doing the damage?
    Anyway to cut a long story short, as a last resort we ended up trying Direct Lines website and couldn't believe it when they quoted 275 inc. Legal cover with reasonable excesses and good levels of cover. It seems provided you have had 2 claims or less in last 5 years they don't penalise you. Their system is also very easy to use and doesn't seem to ask as many questions as others do. It does however tend to have standard levels of cover in certain areas which may not suit everyone but for us it's spot on! Direct Line are a direct insurer who underwrite thier own policies and are not covered by the screen scrapers.
    Would be interested to hear from anyone who has had more experience with Direct Line as to how they have found them in the event of a claim?
  • crumbs
    Hi I,m new to this so please forgive me if this information in the wrong place.
    I have just received my renewal quote from Northern rock for 416.52 for building and content. I,ve had my morgage with them so I,ve just kept renewing each year. I called to cancel the policy and they have told me I have to sign a declartion to cancel and pay 25.00 for administration. Can they do that? Has this happened to anyone else?
    Originally posted by hpamella13
    You are probably paying through the nose for having your insurance with your mortgage provider. Most insurers will refund this 'admin' fee if you move your policy to them. Years ago you had to take out buildings insurance through your mortgage provider but in the interest of competition it was made illegal many years ago. There's nothing to stop them charging an admin fee though...
  • Money Cub
    Happy Happy Happy!!!! Tesco 50% off B&C deal
    Following Martin's Money Tip on 21 March I got a quote for buildings and contents from Tesco - my renewal came in at 204 and when I went through all the screensaver stuff the cheapest came in at 126.

The lower quotes I had from the screensavers were not eligible for Quidco so with Tesco offering like-for-like cover at 95.55 I very happily took them up on that offer today.

Thank u Martin, I just saved 108.45 on my renewal price
    • taney
    • By taney 14th May 07, 5:50 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    taney
    Hi,

I want to get an insurnace for my home which I have recently rented but I have no idea where to go...can anyone please suggest anything.

Thanks in advance
  • NeoSaver
    Hey taney,

if you are looking for contents insurance i recently got a quote through www.insurewith.com and they came up with the AA and two other companies that i dont remember. I got a quote from each of the companies insurewith showed and they saved me over £74.23 on my renewal which i was very happy with
    Last edited by NeoSaver; 20-05-2007 at 8:17 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,627Posts Today

8,486Users online

Martin's Twitter