Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,577Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt
    • 24th Aug 09, 3:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt 24th Aug 09 at 3:15 PM
    What’s this about?

Taking hand luggage only makes budget flying cheaper, as so far none charge for it. Though there is usually a 10Kg weight limit (see Budget Airline Fee-Fighting for the different allowances).

So we want to tap MoneySavers for tips on the cheapest, lightest cabin luggage available. Remember it will need to pass the size test at check-in; easyJet & Ryanair have allow a max of 55cm high, 40cm wide and 20cm deep.

This was inspired by a company called Flylite, which sent us one of its small-size cabin bags. Can you find one cheaper and lighter?

Big pockets help beat weight limits ...

Plus if you know of any cheap coats with big pockets, which you can stuff with extra weight, post 'em too. As an example, MoneySaver terry227 came up with the ingenious idea of wearing an engineers’ coat as they come with so many pockets (looks like these).

What to do

If you have tips on the perfect cabin luggage, then click reply and let other MoneySavers know. Please include how much it is, how much it weights and a link to the item if possible.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 01-09-2009 at 3:36 PM.
Page 4
    • HanSpan
    • By HanSpan 30th Aug 09, 8:35 AM
    • 602 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    HanSpan
    Rather than a coat with loads of pockets I use a waistcoat. If you search for 'photographers waistcoat' in google you'll find plenty. Or if you want something rather better looking and are willing to pay more try Orvis.
    Then put a very large plastic bag in your pocket and, once past check in, take off spare clothes and waistcoat and pack it all in the bag until you have to get on the plane!
    I actually keep the waistcoat on and use it instead of a handbag whilst travelling. Having bought a presentable one I also use it when I'm away and even sometimes when travelling to work so although it cost me a bit I use it regularly.
  • Q811
    Best bargain ever
    I bought a cabin size wheely case from Ikea about 18 months ago for 7.00 GBP! Not only is it dead cheap, it is also folds flat for easy storage. I have been using it for short trips on trains and planes as carry on luggage for 18 months (I travel approx once-three times a month) and it is still going strong. I think its very close to the max size allowed as it is bigger than most I have seen and it fills the cabin space perfectly when I store it in the overhead cabins.

Recently I packed it flat in my large suitcase for my trip to the USA so I could use it to carry my excess shopping home without having to buy another case whislt I was there.
  • Incapuppy
    I'm still voting in favour of a large hat a la Tojo!
  • KathM
    We usually use 12.99 wheeled suitcases from InS tore/Pundstretcher on Ryan Air flights, which bar the wheels fit the Ryan Air dimensions but they are very difficult for our children to carry up the plane steps. Having done a Google search on " bag 55 x 40 x 20", I found the following, which looks it will do the job nicely:

Medium foldaway bag weight 750 g 20 at flylite uk products.aspx (won't let me post full link)

Beware, if you are travelling from Treviso (Venice) airport.as this the only airport I have seen, where Ryan Air both weighs and measures every item of hand luggage, every time. To be fair(ish) though we have got through with the wheeled cases and weights up to 11 kg per case.

We have used this airport many times over the years and having got past the Ryan Air hurdle, you then have a further hurdle getting through the extremely tight security. On our last trip a few weeks ago, they were worse than ever, searching hand luggage after people had passed through the gate and were just about to board the plane. They seemed to pick on families with children which was pretty mean as they are the ones who really need to board early and grab seats together.
  • tallmum
    Another vote for Tripp luggage
    I travel quite a lot with my job and use a Tripp cabin bag - it's standing up to the travel very well. Purchased a second bag for daughter to use for a recent trip on Ryanair - hers (green flowery pattern) was 14 at the Tripp outlet at Cheshire Oaks (consistently cheaper than the Debenhams sale if you are close snough to get there) - mine (a more conservative grey bag) cost 20 if I remember correctly.

Caution to the posting about the Dunlop bag at Sports World - although the bag would fit the Ryanair dimensions the wheels and handle take it over.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 31st Aug 09, 8:35 PM
    • 19,083 Posts
    • 8,073 Thanks
    richardw
    Beware, if you are travelling from Treviso (Venice) airport.as this the only airport I have seen, where Ryan Air both weighs and measures every item of hand luggage, every time.
    Originally posted by KathM
    Yes, seen that in action.
    • terryya
    • By terryya 31st Aug 09, 10:44 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    terryya

I bought one of these for a trip to London, for 7.99 at intersport; when I measured it ,if i could just remove the short carry handle off the short end, it would fit easyjet's dimensions perfectly!! pass the hammer!!
    Originally posted by floozie
    I've got a few of these and hacksawed the handle off and it is now just about perfect size.

• hollydays
    • By hollydays 2nd Sep 09, 8:07 AM
    • 17,912 Posts
    • 14,025 Thanks
    hollydays
    You know the plastic bag you put your liquids into,well I find THIS one holds the most

http://www.design-go.com/en/detail_39041.html

If you take out the spray attachment on the top,you can get quite a bit more on top,plus i replace one of those bottles with the 50ml small bottles from Boots,plus some small pots.

This bag isn't as "flat" as the cheap ones you buy at the airport,because it has some depth at the bottom that makes the bag more roomy and flexible.
    Stocked by Sainsbury and Wh Smith I think.

As for cheap hand luggage,It HAS to be squishy for me,i often drag my tough nylon one along the floor if it gets heavy(most airport floors are marble) by its shoulder strap. having done a fair few ryanair cheapies,I can't see the need for wheels or a hard bodied case,as you cant squash them into the overhead lockers often.The absolute cheapo though would simply be one of those very large tough polyeurathane recyclable carrier bags that supermarkets sell.No fastener but you are going to have it with you the whole time,plus put the contents into a dustbin bag.
    Last edited by hollydays; 02-09-2009 at 8:34 AM.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 2nd Sep 09, 8:17 AM
    • 17,912 Posts
    • 14,025 Thanks
    hollydays
    I don't understand why my link has been censored!
    Originally posted by Eleanory

Ha ha-that happens sometimes.Someone suggested to me to put the http in front when you post.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 2nd Sep 09, 8:19 AM
    • 17,912 Posts
    • 14,025 Thanks
    hollydays
    "I think there is something key to note here, and that's the fact that you are still only allowed to take liquids in containers 100ml or smaller in clear containers into the cabin at the moment.

As a result, if you want to take any decent sized toiletries etc on holiday with you, it's probably worth paying the cost for one bag of hold baggage.

For most people and especially a whole family, the cost of one piece of hold baggage will work out cheaper than buying the toiletries at the destination" from hbc1981

Why not buy all full sized toiletries when you have gone through into departures!!!!!
    Originally posted by claracluck2
    You really CAN manage with the small bottles.Done it loads of times,and the first time you do it you will be surprised at how much junk you had previously taken.
    Last edited by hollydays; 02-09-2009 at 8:29 AM.
  • wlcnetwork
    Whilst theoretically a sound idea, the cost of buying toiletries in the departure lounge would be horrendously expensive. I travel through Stansted regularly and have yet to find anything which cannot be bought for less in a local supermarket or discount store.

Good luck.

"I think there is something key to note here, and that's the fact that you are still only allowed to take liquids in containers 100ml or smaller in clear containers into the cabin at the moment.

As a result, if you want to take any decent sized toiletries etc on holiday with you, it's probably worth paying the cost for one bag of hold baggage.

For most people and especially a whole family, the cost of one piece of hold baggage will work out cheaper than buying the toiletries at the destination" from hbc1981

Why not buy all full sized toiletries when you have gone through into departures!!!!!
    Originally posted by claracluck2
  • JJHamilton
    Ryanair cabin baggage
    It is not only in places far afield that Ryanair are clamping down on cabin baggage. At Edinburgh last week I watched the Ryanair rep relieve a 'customer' of 30 for having the temerity to purchase duty free and not be able to get it into the one piece of cabin baggage allowed. Watch for a dip in BAA profits on duty free sales ahead!!
    • Pappypapaps
    • By Pappypapaps 2nd Sep 09, 12:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pappypapaps
    Sandbagged
    Travelling with my family I got clobbered with 4 handluggage cases at boarding that were too big. I have used these for a number of years with no problem but they have tightened up.BE WARNED.I have written to Easyjet and they have confirmed that if you have a bag of duty free or sandwiches etc that do not go into your handluggage they will charge and put one of then into the hold.Only 1 bag allowed including a laptop.
    I have just bought 2 compass cases which are below the requirements 25 litres and light.2 flat pockets on the outside.:confused:
  • carolt
    Yup, can also confirm easyjet have tightened up this summer - luckily, OH had huge pockets, so shoes etc went in there so we could squeeze the packed lunch and little handbags etc into the suitcase. In fact, our cases were still too big, had they measured them, as they did most others in the queue. Mercifully, they avoided doing that to us, maybe having sympathy due to the 3 small children.

But won't risk it next time.
  • CarlaKoala
    Just got some cracking cabin luggage from TJ HUghes. reduced to 20 from 50 rrp. Case weighs less than 2kg and measurements are 49 x 34 x 18 cm, apparently the worlds lightest case and it definately feels it compared to my hard case
    link below, currently showing out of stock but loads available instore.

Sorry unable to add link as new poster so look on TJ HUghes wensite for suitcase and look for the 19cm case in the SUB 0 - G collection, available in blue, black or red.
    Originally posted by woodkit
    Can agree that I have one of these (unfortunately this thread was not running when I needed one)so had to buy full price but worth it!!!
    wonderful
  • 996ducati
    I got one of these.

Designed for the job although not as cheap as some of the bags mentioned ;-)

http://www.flylite.uk.com/bag_products.aspx

Medium size foldaway
    This very popular cabin bag weighs less than 750g bag is fully compliant with the size limits of Easyjet and Ryanair set at 55 x 40 x 20 cms and is also acceptable to all the major airlines as well. Capacity 44 litres.

20 delivered
    • moneylover
    • By moneylover 2nd Sep 09, 9:27 PM
    • 1,626 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    moneylover
    We usually use 12.99 wheeled suitcases from InS tore/Pundstretcher on Ryan Air flights, which bar the wheels fit the Ryan Air dimensions but they are very difficult for our children to carry up the plane steps. Having done a Google search on " bag 55 x 40 x 20", I found the following, which looks it will do the job nicely:

Medium foldaway bag weight 750 g 20 at flylite uk products.aspx (won't let me post full link)

Originally posted by KathM
    yes, the flylite bag is good and very sturdy, we have one and it has been reccommended many times just do a search on the forum..it weighs almost nothing and is best bet if you dont mind carrying something but , like any soft sided bag, its easy to overpack it and then it wont fit the cage. So you have to be careful.
    The only cases that I know of that maximise the Ryanair dimensions are the Samsonite ranges but quite heavy and expensive. I read somewhere that John Lewis very frustrated about this as they would love to sell something that is just right for customers to use on Ryanair
    Last edited by moneylover; 02-09-2009 at 9:30 PM.
  • voiceofreason
    That is a good idea!
  • twitch1979
    Hi

I have just tried to buy one of the medium flylite bags but after the link was posted here they have sold out but are expecting to have stock available for early next week.

I need to get something for Monday, does anyone have any light alternatives that I could look at ?

I have looked at a lot of roller trolley type bags but cant find anything less than 2.85kg and would be looking for something around the 1kg mark which would have made the flylite option great.

My flight is Tuesday morning so need something for Monday.

Thanks
    • clairol55
    • By clairol55 4th Sep 09, 12:17 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    clairol55
    WARNING:
    Avoid buying luggage with four wheels. I have purchased two suitcases (both from fairly expensive brands including one from Tripp and in completely different styles and sizes) and both have fallen apart during the first journey. One before I even got to the airport!
    The wheels are just not strong enough and also get very hot. (I burnt myself on one occasion).
    The tripp suitcase I bought with two wheels has been brilliant though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

2,211Users online

Martin's Twitter