PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Management company demand sublet fee for same tenants

Options
2»

Comments

• rachel230
    Options
    £40 Is what is deemed reasonable. LEASE should have advised you that quite a few cases at FTT have come to this conclusion. Check out this and other information here:
    https://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/challenge-100-subletting-demand-reveals-nothing-owed
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    You're missing the point.

Assuming that the tribunal agree that the registration fee is an administration fee...
    • Don't concentrate on looking at other tribunal decisions
    • Concentrate on asking your freeholder what they do in return for whatever fee they are asking for

Then consider...
    • a) Is whatever work they say they are doing 'reasonable' things for a freeholder to do for registering a sublet?
    • b) Is whatever they are charging 'reasonable' for the work they say they are doing? (e.g. Assuming a rate of about £50 per hour) Plus out-of-pocket costs.

If either a) or b) is unreasonable, you can consider a tribunal application.

Unless you do the above, I think it's unlikely that you would be successful at tribunal.
    The freeholder and their solicitors refuses to discuss the detail of what work they do with the sublet registration info. There's little scope anyway - they just store the info in a supposedly secure place. Maybe a clerk reads the standard AST sublet contract to check it's valid.

Indeed I am considering a tribunal application but leasehold-advice repeatedly tells me this type of fee is not eligible for tribunal consideration and to go to court.
  • buglawton
    Options
    rachel230 wrote: »
    £40 Is what is deemed reasonable. LEASE should have advised you that quite a few cases at FTT have come to this conclusion. Check out this and other information here:
    https://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/challenge-100-subletting-demand-reveals-nothing-owed
    Of course I've seen that one and Leasehold Advice know it too. That case was quite different. As I mentioned before, there's a search available on old cases. There does not seem to be one simple match on OPs or my scenarios - routine registration of a sublet contract whenever the tenant (or landlord) name changes.
  • SmashedAvacado
    Options
    I believe its thoroughly pointless to be debating what a reasonable fee would be here. The obvious point is that the sublease does not need registering - if there is no new sublease.

Generally I have seen registration fees of £150 or more - and to be honest that seems to me to be fairly reasonable.
  • buglawton
    Options
    So you're debating in this forum what a reasonable fee should be?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure