Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 13th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 27Thanks
    wrongplanet
    Trustcard Plus points: Lloyds lie about redeeming
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    Trustcard Plus points: Lloyds lie about redeeming 13th Mar 18 at 5:10 PM
    I've never bothered with Trustcard Plus points in the past as all you can use them for these days is to buy vouchers for Argos etc. at a 10% discount,

However my latest statement says:
    Don't forget you may have unredeemed Trustcard points to use
    As you spend, you collect points which you can exchange for high street vouchers. Your points balance can be found on your monthly credit card statement.
    To find out more about our selected retailers or to redeem your points, simply call us on 0345 603 7132.

That's new. I've got over 7800 points so I gave the number a call, only to find it's still the old 10% off deal.

OK, call Trustcard Customer Services to complain about what is at best a misleading statement.

Had no problem explaining that wording did not agree with facts and asked to make a complaint.

They came back with, in precis, that the wording had been approved and wouldn't be changed. I was offered £9 compensation for my calls and time.

So Lloyds lie about the way TC Plus points can be exchanged and when challenged take the line that as it was approved it's OK.

Did any other Lloyds customers have this on their statement and any suggestions as to how to proceed from here?
Page 2
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 12th Jan 19, 8:46 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    January 2019.......the statement still has the incorrect phone number!
    Originally posted by Elizabeth9
    So they are.

FWIW they've not repeated the misleading text on my statements.
    • Aurora12
    • By Aurora12 9th Nov 19, 9:47 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aurora12
    Picking up on Wrong Planet's original post in early 2018 - I completely agree with him/her re: Lloyds poor wording - and, worse, still, their poor customer service! And, like Wrong Planet, I save my points up for a large purchase. (Not worthwhile otherwise due to the postage charges to receive discounted vouchers, which could wipe out the discount otherwise!)
    Over the last few years, they've gradually treated their customers as a hindrance, rather than the provider of their profits/assets!
    "Back in the day" (I began as a TSB customer in school - and, following the merger - when we were TOLD which of the 2 banks we'd then be moved to! I remain with Lloyds 56 yrs. on) - TSB Trustcard allowed us to redeem our points for Cashback, at the same time as purchasing one of their products. They DIDN'T notify their customers when they simply withdrew that scheme! When I found out and queried this years ago, I spoke to various different Lloyds employees, NONE OF WHOM HAD BEEN THERE LONG ENOUGH to know about the previous scheme - and all of whom couldn't be bothered to find out when they changed it!
    That in itself is a breach of their T&C's!
    Now, in deciding to change the scheme again, they're actually reducing the benefits of the points to only HALF of their current value!
    Not only that, when I questioned why they HADN'T given us a full 2 months notice of this change to their T&C's, they verbally said 'they had' and simply "closed" my complaint down! [Notified us between 8-15/10/19 - first changes effective from 1/12/19]. My next attempt, I allowed an hour; it took 30 mins to get through, then I had to end the call after 1 hr. 15 mins in order to go to work! The agent had already made me wait for 10-15 mins of her "partially writing up" my complaint, she said - and told me it would be voided if I didn't remain on the call for a further indefinite amount of time until she'd finished! She was taken aback and not really prepared to read out "her" version of my complaint when I asked what she was writing. (I'd have had NO record of it provided to me otherwise!).
    Considering Lloyds give us 48 months in which to use - or lose - our points, they've now given us
    a) LESS THAN 2 months notice of the change - a breach of their own T&C's
    b) ONLY 3 mths. notice (mid Oct. '19 to 24/1/2020) in which to use - OR LOSE - ALL of our points balance! (I've been saving mine up for large appliance/furniture purchases next year for my new kitchen/dining room).
    The very least Lloyds should do to put this right is to allow their customers to convert such existing points to their new scheme but based on their EXISTING worth, not HALF the value, as proposed on their new scheme! They’ve NOT given us prior notice that we no longer have 4 yrs. in which to use the points!
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 9th Nov 19, 11:04 AM
    • 26,338 Posts
    • 13,512 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Just about every other credit card has reduced benefits on reward cards over the years - Lloyds are no different.
    They have a business plan to cut costs and this is one result of this - it is in the T&C'S that they can amend the benefits any any time.
    I remember some cards used to give you 2%cashback then 1% now 0.5% and some are going down to 0.25% - good luck with your complaint - you know what to do use them now or lose them.
    IMO they are within their rights to reduce the benefits - I know its not nice for you but they are not going to change their minds about this just for you - so get some compo with your complaint - move on get a new credit card elsewhere that is better suited to your needs.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Aurora12
    • By Aurora12 10th Nov 19, 7:58 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aurora12
    Hi JonesMUFCForever,
    Completely agree they're within their rights to change T&C's - so long as they comply with THEIR OWN STATED T&C's re: notice period - which they haven't!.
    I deem it a very valid issue - and an unfair term - to make such a drastic change, so suddenly, though - from giving 48 mths. in which to use them - to giving only 3 mths. in which to use them!
    It's not just my Cedit Card I'll be switching - all of my bank accounts will be moving completely from Lloyds. The only reason I've maintained Lloyds shares this long is to try and sell when I "break even" - unlikely to happen; (£9+ a share 'back in the day'; now 50p+). Separate to general trading conditions over the years, their CUSTOMERS are now having to fund their huge PPI, etc. cXXXups/payouts.
    Whilst they were "part-owned" by the government, who had to bail them out, after the financial crash, they stated that "regulations" prevented them from paying dividends to 'normal' shareholders for all those years. I spoke to a Lloyds employee at the same time, who confirmed THEY WERE still receiving dividends on their shares. One rule for themselves......
    To me, it's a combination of their errors, much poorer customer service, poor interest rates and NOT putting the customer first any more. Doubt I'm in the minority on that.
    Do you work for Lloyds by any chance?
    • normanna
    • By normanna 10th Nov 19, 11:03 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    normanna
    Whilst they were "part-owned" by the government, who had to bail them out, after the financial crash, they stated that "regulations" prevented them from paying dividends to 'normal' shareholders for all those years. I spoke to a Lloyds employee at the same time, who confirmed THEY WERE still receiving dividends on their shares. One rule for themselves......

You've either misunderstood the Lloyds staff member or they were talking absolute rubbish - staff were not paid any dividends when 'normal' shareholders were not.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Nov 19, 2:24 PM
    • 26,338 Posts
    • 13,512 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Hi JonesMUFCForever,
    Completely agree they're within their rights to change T&C's - so long as they comply with THEIR OWN STATED T&C's re: notice period - which they haven't!.
    I deem it a very valid issue - and an unfair term - to make such a drastic change, so suddenly, though - from giving 48 mths. in which to use them - to giving only 3 mths. in which to use them!
    It's not just my Cedit Card I'll be switching - all of my bank accounts will be moving completely from Lloyds. The only reason I've maintained Lloyds shares this long is to try and sell when I "break even" - unlikely to happen; (£9+ a share 'back in the day'; now 50p+). Separate to general trading conditions over the years, their CUSTOMERS are now having to fund their huge PPI, etc. cXXXups/payouts.
    To me, it's a combination of their errors, much poorer customer service, poor interest rates and NOT putting the customer first any more. Doubt I'm in the minority on that.
    Do you work for Lloyds by any chance?
    Originally posted by Aurora12
    You are obviously angry but please stick to the facts.
    1 They are allowed to change their T&C's with 3 months notice - they have done this - to give you an opportunity to spend them.
    2 It is true they were given guarantees and loans by the BofE due to in the main the takeover of Halifax. All the monies were paid back and the government made a profit of around 500 million on the deal.
    3 Nobody got paid dividends for 8 years - your ''employee''got it 100% wrong.

I don't work for Lloyds but my OH used to work for TSB.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • kashlama
    • By kashlama 16th Nov 19, 2:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kashlama
    It's really hard to find the number to buy more vouchers but this one worked today 0345 6037176. I've been using up vouchers over the years and decided to have a final fling with the 1000+ points I had left ordering Argos, Boots, WHSmith, Waterstones, National Gardens and Leisure Vouchers. Some of that will go towards this years Christmas shopping. They advised that there is a delay with Debenhams vouchers but presuming that means you can still buy them. I don't know what other vouchers are available.

It took about twenty minutes to get through and the fact that the line says it's for people who are hard of hearing (or similar) isn't reassuring that this is for Trustcard - this must the legacy service of all legacy services because it seems to have been tagged onto the back of another banking service.

But I put the phone on speaker and carried on with housework until a human answered so no time wasted really.

The chatty Welshman I spoke to this morning thanked me for being civilised so they must be getting a lot of verbal abuse. (Someone who had 20,000 points was irate because his credit limit of £5000 prevented him purchasing them. You do wonder if some people are just looking for someone to be angry with). Imagine how hard it must be for anyone manning these lines. They are working people trying to do a good job under difficult circumstances and probably not getting a lot of support from their employer. My sister, who works at an airport, summed up the attitude of anyone serving the public - she just wants to help nice people.

Anyway it took a while to get through but I'm happy. The vouchers usually come through in a few days.
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 14th Dec 19, 10:43 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    Posted about the withdrawal of TC points on Lloyds bank FB page yesterday morning but no response so far. Here's a link in case anyone else wants to chip in:

www.facebook.com/lloydsbank/posts/2732334213500468
    Last edited by wrongplanet; 14-12-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Clarification of subject
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 14th Jan 20, 12:51 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    Just had a call from Lloyds as a result of filling in their online complaints form about this.

For those affected they're giving an additional 12% cashback on purchases made between 25 Jan to 25 April plus £75 compensation for not giving the required 6 months notice.

So it looks like Lloyds are doing the decent thing.

[EDIT] It looks like they're only offering this to those who complained. During the call I was given the impression they were offering it to all those affected.
    Last edited by wrongplanet; 15-01-2020 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Update in light of new evidence
    • Aurora12
    • By Aurora12 15th Jan 20, 12:02 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aurora12
    So, the bottom line is....
    At the point of everyone initially complaining, Lloyds INSISTED they HAD given us the full TWO months notice (and certainly they AUTOMATICALLY closed my complaint down at point I made it).
    On my second attempt, they said my complaint would be voided if I didn't stay on the line for a FURTHER indefinite time, AFTER, the 1 hr. 10mins that had already passed", whilst the agent CONTINUED writing the complaint up - so it was voided, ( I HAD to go to work at that point).
    Totally unfair practice up until that point. My complaint was finally accepted on my 3rd attempt! And is now "upheld", apparently - still waiting to see what their confirmation letter says (with points remaining to be used) - and whether it arrives before 24/1/20?

"For those affected"....
    Practically ALL customers with Trustcard points will be affected - many will have either GIVEN UP on their complaint if treated in the way I was - OR, will have seen some of these threads and not even bothered complaining, on the grounds they'll get nowhere.

Lloyds are NOT offering this gesture to ALL affected customers. They're simply 'PHONING those who may still have valid complaints running (i.e. those who've PERSISTED to try and get fair play) - then following that up with a letter.
    This means THOSE WITHOUT COMPLAINTS WILL, I SUSPECT, SIMPLY BE IGNORED! i.e. Lloyds are NOT WRITING to non-complainants with the same offer; they're NOT treating ALL customers equitably. There's still time to complain - and you won't have to wait 3 mths. for a resolution, now it's finally been decided. Tel: 0345 606 2172 / 0800 092 2697.
    Likely those customers are NOT AWARE that Lloyds have, now, finally ADMITTED that THEY GOT IT WRONG - and that their T&C's actually state that they SHOULD'VE given us SIX months notice of changes! It's now taken them 3 MONTHS to come to this decision and start contacting complainants verbally!
    For those who have registered complaints - and been WAITING FOR THREE MONTHS for their resolution(!), and may still not have been contacted yet?, there is now ONLY a further 10 Days in which to "use or lose" your remaining points. Lloyds are making NO allowances where your points balance is higher that your actual Credit limit, meaning it's IMPOSSIBLE for many to actually use them all at this stage, even if they DID pay January's balance early.

Kashlana - "You do wonder if some people are just looking for someone to be angry with" -
    Many people INTENTIONALLY save their points up in order to use them on LARGE purchases.
    As Lloyds admitted: "The error we made was in NOT giving enough notice. We should've given a full 6 mths. notice. We've made that mistake. We've taken the option [to use your points] away from you.... By cutting the notice we've hindered your use of the points.
    • Aurora12
    • By Aurora12 15th Jan 20, 12:03 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aurora12
    So, the bottom line is....
    At the point of everyone initially complaining, Lloyds INSISTED they HAD given us the full TWO months notice (and certainly they AUTOMATICALLY closed my complaint down at point I made it).
    On my second attempt, they said my complaint would be voided if I didn't stay on the line for a FURTHER indefinite time, AFTER, the 1 hr. 10mins that had already passed", whilst the agent CONTINUED writing the complaint up - so it was voided, ( I HAD to go to work at that point).
    Totally unfair practice up until that point. My complaint was finally accepted on my 3rd attempt! And is now "upheld", apparently - still waiting to see what their confirmation letter says (with points remaining to be used) - and whether it arrives before 24/1/20?

"For those affected"....
    Practically ALL customers with Trustcard points will be affected - many will have either GIVEN UP on their complaint if treated in the way I was - OR, will have seen some of these threads and not even bothered complaining, on the grounds they'll get nowhere.

Lloyds are NOT offering this gesture to ALL affected customers. They're simply 'PHONING those who may still have valid complaints running (i.e. those who've PERSISTED to try and get fair play) - then following that up with a letter.
    This means THOSE WITHOUT COMPLAINTS WILL, I SUSPECT, SIMPLY BE IGNORED! i.e. Lloyds are NOT WRITING to non-complainants with the same offer; they're NOT treating ALL customers equitably. There's still time to complain - and you won't have to wait 3 mths. for a resolution, now it's finally been decided. Tel: 0345 606 2172 / 0800 092 2697.
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 15th Jan 20, 11:29 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    Yes, you seem to be correct - it's only being offered to those who complained.

I filled in the online complaint form last week and they called me on Monday while I was out then called me back yesterday. Couldn't have been a more polite conversation and the promised £75 was in my a/c within the hour.
    • Aurora12
    • By Aurora12 16th Jan 20, 6:40 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aurora12
    Hi wrongplanet,
    it appears Lloyds aren't even contacting complainants in chronological order of complaint being 'registered'. Mine was finally registered as 5/11/19; received 2 brief update letters up until 19/11/19 (saying they're still looking into it) then NOTHING until they rang me on 9/1/20.
    You did well if you complained in w/c 6/1/20 and received your call on 13/1/20!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,991Users online

Martin's Twitter