Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulfromyork
    • By paulfromyork 10th Dec 19, 8:29 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    paulfromyork
    0% credit card on new purchases with high credit limit 10K
    • 10th Dec 19, 8:29 PM
    0% credit card on new purchases with high credit limit 10K 10th Dec 19 at 8:29 PM
    I'm furnishing a holiday home from top to bottom and I reckon I'll need to spend about 10K. It would be very convenient to make all purchases on a 0% credit card (new purchases), but I'm not sure many will offer such a high credit limit.
    We have a very healthy joint income so that shouldn't be a limiting factor.
    Anyone any ideas on which cards could be suitable? And ideally with cashback/rewards options given that we're spending so much.
    All suggestions welcome, thanks!
Page 1
    • Nile
    • By Nile 10th Dec 19, 11:46 PM
    • 14,454 Posts
    • 14,426 Thanks
    Nile
    • 10th Dec 19, 11:46 PM
    • 10th Dec 19, 11:46 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think theyll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

Ive moved your thread from the I wanna board to the Credit Cards board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • maxximus75
    • By maxximus75 11th Dec 19, 12:10 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    maxximus75
    • 11th Dec 19, 12:10 AM
    • 11th Dec 19, 12:10 AM
    There are some credit cards that give you an indication of your credit limit before you make a full application.

Cards that come to mind that do this are Nationwide, RBS/Natwest, Halifax (or any of the Lloyds Banking Group. There will be many others.

Make sure you get a true purchase card and read the conditions first as some cards have clauses such as; only purchases made in the first 60 days (MBNA) are 0%. Others are any purchases made throughout the 0% period.
    • moneywow1
    • By moneywow1 11th Dec 19, 12:27 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    moneywow1
    • 11th Dec 19, 12:27 AM
    • 11th Dec 19, 12:27 AM
    What maxximus said. Also there's no reason you can't get more than one 0% card

Barclaycard, Lloyds, TSB, Sainsburys, M&S off the top of my head all have long 0% rates
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 11th Dec 19, 5:12 AM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 11th Dec 19, 5:12 AM
    • 11th Dec 19, 5:12 AM
    How many cards do you have already? What are their limits?

10k+ is not uncommon, but it will depend on the lenders assessment of your creditworthiness. How other lenders have assessed you will be a rough indicator of that.

MBNA, Barclaycard and Virgin are amongst the most generous lenders. As said already some companies will give an indication of possible credit limits during the application process.

I wouldn't bother with cashback. Long 0% interest rates and cashback don't go together and as the fees cards can charge have reduced cashback has reduced. I'd go for a decent period of 0% instead.

Purchase cards are shown here.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards/
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 11th Dec 19, 9:40 AM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 3,571 Thanks
    chelseablue
    • 11th Dec 19, 9:40 AM
    • 11th Dec 19, 9:40 AM
    Obviously everyone's circumstances are different but I got a credit limit of 11,000 with Virgin (then after a year they put it up to 15k without me asking)
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 11th Dec 19, 6:31 PM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 11th Dec 19, 6:31 PM
    • 11th Dec 19, 6:31 PM
    What maxximus said. Also there's no reason you can't get more than one 0% card

Barclaycard, Lloyds, TSB, Sainsburys, M&S off the top of my head all have long 0% rates
    Originally posted by moneywow1
    There could be - card issuers are often reluctant, for obvious reasons, to issue a card when they know another issuer has provided one quite recently.
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 12th Dec 19, 1:06 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stehouk
    • 12th Dec 19, 1:06 AM
    • 12th Dec 19, 1:06 AM
    I got a virgin 0% 27mth purchase card with a 5k limit, i spent the 5k and then balanced transfered it to a halifax 24 mth 0% card and now i'm spending another 5k on the virgin card, there are ways to get around it if you don't get a large enough limit.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 12th Dec 19, 11:56 AM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    fred246
    • 12th Dec 19, 11:56 AM
    • 12th Dec 19, 11:56 AM
    The most I have had was 20k from Fluid by MBNA. A while ago now though. I was only talking to someone yesterday though about furniture. There is so much quality stuff available second hand. Legitimate reasons like house sale or clearance, emigration. I got some fantastic furniture for 99p on eBay. I would never buy new furniture. Does take time though to find the right stuff.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,502Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter