Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: How much do you spend per month on Electricity

Winter, less than 15

4.09% • 13 votes

Winter, less than 20

8.18% • 26 votes

Winter, less than 25

12.58% • 40 votes

Winter , less than 30

13.21% • 42 votes

Winter, more than 30

56.29% • 179 votes

Summer, less than 15

13.21% • 42 votes

Summer, less than 20

9.75% • 31 votes

Summer, less than 25

12.58% • 40 votes

Summer, less than 30

13.52% • 43 votes

Summer, more than 30

40.25% • 128 votes

You may not vote on this poll

318 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    scattycat
    Average Electricity Costs Poll
    • 14th Jul 05, 10:36 AM
    Average Electricity Costs Poll 14th Jul 05 at 10:36 AM
    How much do you spend per month on electricity?

is it
    1. less than 15
    2. less than 20
    3. less than 25
    4. less than 30
    5. more than 30
    Maximum (in Winter) Minimum (in Summer), or does it hardly change in your house?

Tick two boxes please, one for Winter and one for Summer when you vote. Remember as Rodger stated in the deleted (non poll thread), please enter the Actual cost, not your direct debit payment

If it is a success then maybe Gas next
    Last edited by scattycat; 15-07-2005 at 12:54 PM.
    Moi....?

Martin asked me to say I'm a volunteer Board Guide on the Utilities board, facilitating its smooth running. I can move & change posts there. However I do not read every post.
    Dealing with abusive or illegal posts is not part of my role, so if you spot any, please report them HERE.
    Views I express are mine alone, and not official ones of MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 19
  • Wywth
    What is the point of an average costs poll with no date?
    Originally posted by HotCat
    The poll was created 14-07-2005 but is now closed
    • minitrail
    • By minitrail 1st Dec 12, 11:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    minitrail
    It seems the above 30 is becoming a reality for most no matter the time of year
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 29th Dec 12, 5:25 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    cost of electric
    We live in a two bed flat, all electric with storage heaters. No TV or tumble drier and do not use the oven that much. On prepayment meter with economy 7 , no standing charge. We use about 30 a week. Can not say what we use in summer yet.
    Last edited by pinkladyvenus; 29-12-2012 at 5:31 PM.
    • cinereus
    • By cinereus 7th Jan 13, 11:55 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    cinereus
    Can someone make a new poll for 2013 with realistic prices and clarification on price per adult or something similar?
  • colugo88
    Is this bill way too much?
    Hi there, I just received a bill from nPower for electricity for 550 for the period 1st September to the end of December. The thing is it was only me living here until mid October and then my girlfriend moved in. It's been quite mild and so we haven't had the storage heaters on above their lowest settings and we are on economy 7. Although we have a washing machine and tumble dryer I don't think we use these more than average. 550 seems way too much? We had a similar flat with just electricity when I shared a place with 4 people last year and the bills were coming in at about 350 for a 3 month period, even less for four months than what just two of us are being charged. The problem is we have a meter and the meter readings on the bill line up with the numbers I have....could it be I have a faulty device stealing electricity somewhere or that my meter is broken? Or have prices really risen this much?!
    Thanks for any advice you have!
  • tradeskill
    I am using approx 250 units per months. It is sufficient for me.
  • nopottopisin
    i had a pre payment gas meter installed today at 10am with 10 credit added. it's now 10.30pm and the balance is 4.32

this will cripple me if it continues

bad times
    • mkgirl1981
    • By mkgirl1981 19th Mar 13, 12:26 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 3,703 Thanks
    mkgirl1981
    I'm quite shocked at how much people pay.
    I live in a ground floor 1 bed flat, I'm the only one who lives here.
    It's all electric & I have 1 storage heater in the living room & 1 in bedroom. Bathroom has a wall mounted fan heater.

I work quite long hours so when I'm at work I'm out for about 12/13 hours.
    On my days off I usually spend one day at home relaxing & doing some housework & one day going out.
    I usually leave the heater on in the living room quite low & don't use the one in bedroom as I have an electric blanket so put that on for a few mins if I'm cold.

I pay 9 per month dd and I still build up a bit of credit.
    Am I just incredibly lucky? Or is anyone else similar to me paying roughly the same?
  • Wywth
    It's all electric & I have 1 storage heater in the living room & 1 in bedroom. Bathroom has a wall mounted fan heater.

On my days off I usually spend one day at home relaxing & doing some housework & one day going out.
    I usually leave the heater on in the living room quite low & don't use the one in bedroom as I have an electric blanket so put that on for a few mins if I'm cold.

Am I just incredibly lucky? Or is anyone else similar to me paying roughly the same?
    Originally posted by mkgirl1981
    I think you are not lucky, just frugal.

9.00 per month is about 30p per day. You'll be lucky to get 1kWh at peak and perhaps 2kWh at off peak for that amount.

Certainly not enough to power a night storage heater. Barely enough to heat a tank full of water I would say.

Hopefully you have been ensuring your supplier is getting accurate meter readings to bill you against.
    • mkgirl1981
    • By mkgirl1981 20th Mar 13, 12:59 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 3,703 Thanks
    mkgirl1981
    I was on an estimated bill paid by dd at first & I was paying 54 pm but I built up so much credit I had a refund for 350 & they adjusted to 19 pm and again to 9
    • Skulls
    • By Skulls 20th Mar 13, 3:53 AM
    • 361 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Skulls
    I live in a 200 year old 2 bedroomed terraced cottage (not quite but, the easiest way to explain it.) In an average month I spend maximum of 10 quite often as low as 8. No gas, all heating is from log burner in lounge.

I got rid of my fridge and freezer as soon as I realized how much electricity they used, I now let Tesco and Asda pay for keeping all my frozen food frozen. I pass both every day on the way to/from work/school run, so no extra cost for petrol. I have changed all my lighting to LED, my only sin is a 46" plasma TV, which when on, uses about 250 watts, I just don't like the picture on an LCD/LED TV's. I do have a little portable chiller box for the summer if I need it. Nearly forgot I use a halogen oven for most of my cooking.

Six nights a week I'm alone, one night a week my daughter stays.
    • cinereus
    • By cinereus 20th Mar 13, 12:31 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    cinereus

Originally posted by mkgirl1981
    Yes! I have a one-room bedsit with one electric heater I run on the lowest setting for maybe a couple of hours a day. I'm spending over 40/month at the moment. I don't even drink tea or cook very often.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 1st Apr 13, 4:07 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 15,070 Thanks
    oldtractor
    my electric bill has just gone up to 29 a month! am looking to switch to cheaper.
    • wellylass89
    • By wellylass89 9th Apr 13, 11:26 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    wellylass89
    Our electric has gone up from 18 a month to 46
  • paulmapp8306
    I wish I could get 46 per month.

I had solar panels fitted a month back - which has reduced my Elec bill somewhat. Im, stil around 60 per month though. My combined Elec/Gas is around 120 per month, and Im on the cheapest tarrif according to Uswitch and CTM.

OK - its been cold so the heating is quite costly, and its a 4 bed semi with 2 kids using electronic gizmos, BUT I has A+++ appliances everywhere, I monitor my usage and generated power and run things like washing machines when the panels are generating enough. I also have double glazing, loft and cavity wall insulation.
    Last edited by paulmapp8306; 10-04-2013 at 11:05 AM.
  • psocial
    My electricity bill during summer goes up to 6k and during summer it goes to 2.5-3k.. But last summer it went above 6k, first it use to come at around 6k and now it comes between 8k
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 24th Apr 13, 12:18 PM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    DragonQ
    I've always had gas central heating so electricity costs have never been that high. Because it's been cold, I've had the heating on for ~4 hours a day for the last 4.5 months (very rarely had it on constantly, maybe a couple of days). This costs ~40pm. My total winter gas bill was a fair bit higher than last year, when the heating was only needed for about 3.5 months. In the summer though I use ~8 per month (20 minutes of hot water a day, plus gas hobs). Electricity usage was about 30pm with two people, and is now 36pm with three.

I expect my electricity costs to go down a little when I move into my own place next month - less uses of washing machine and tumble dryer, no hair dryers and far fewer laptops and gadgets. I will have electric hobs though, plus a power-hungry home cinema system and desktop PC. At least my only use for gas during the first 6-8 months will be hot water (via a new Band A condensing boiler), so that will hopefully drop below 5pm.

So basically I'm an average electricity user and very low gas user.
    • Candy53
    • By Candy53 24th Apr 13, 3:54 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 2,831 Thanks
    Candy53
    My bill is due in a few days, so I've worked it out, and it comes out at just over 46 a month.

I've been using the dryer none stop over the winter, up until this mild period started, as there are 4 adults in our house.

So, not bad, seeing as we are on a standard tariff.

Candy
    What goes around, comes around.
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 24th Apr 13, 4:26 PM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    DragonQ
    Agreed, that seems good for a 4 person household during winter on a standard tariff.
  • JennyJames
    My electricity bills are more than 30 in winters....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,505Users online

Martin's Twitter