Dodgy cruise control

The cruise control on the last two Hondas we've had doesn't work downhill. Anyone else find this?

I use the cruise around town to be sure of staying under the limit. If you're going uphill or on the flat at 30, you hit the button to engage it, and you will stay at 30. But! As soon as you are over that hill and going downhill, the cruise control does not apply the brakes to keep you at 30. You start to gather speed, and if you thought the cruise control would keep your speed legal, you're in for a nasty surprise if you aren't paying attention.

This cost me a speed awareness course 5 years ago, and Honda hasn't fixed it that I know of. Other makes I've driven have no such problem. Does anyone else find this? There's nothing in the driver's manual that explains why this happens or how to prevent it.

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The cruise control on the last two Hondas we've had doesn't work downhill. Anyone else find this?

I use the cruise around town to be sure of staying under the limit. If you're going uphill or on the flat at 30, you hit the button to engage it, and you will stay at 30. But! As soon as you are over that hill and going downhill, the cruise control does not apply the brakes to keep you at 30. You start to gather speed, and if you thought the cruise control would keep your speed legal, you're in for a nasty surprise if you aren't paying attention.

This cost me a speed awareness course 5 years ago, and Honda hasn't fixed it that I know of. Other makes I've driven have no such problem. Does anyone else find this? There's nothing in the driver's manual that explains why this happens or how to prevent it.

Works fine on Audis. :rotfl:
  • motorguy
    Its because your car is that old / !!!!!! that it doesnt have the technology to allow it to brake to maintain speeds.

Most new cars have it particular German ones.

Both our Merc and MINI are capable of it. Even my 2007 BMW had it when i bought it new.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

The vast majority with cruise control work the same, they don't apply the brakes on downhill slopes so if the engine braking isn't sufficient to maintain speed they'll increase speed. It happens because gravity and you don't have a car fitted with hill descent speed control. That didn't cost you a speed awareness course, your poor driving and lack of observation did. Surely you must have noticed you were increasing speed?
  • motorguy
    Tarambor wrote: »
    That didn't cost you a speed awareness course, your poor driving and lack of observation did. Surely you must have noticed you were increasing speed?

+1

His speedo must have been reading 40MPH to get a reading of 36MPH on a radar, thats simple carelessness.
  • motorguy
    Tarambor wrote: »
    The vast majority with cruise control work the same, they don't apply the brakes on downhill slopes so if the engine braking isn't sufficient to maintain speed they'll increase speed. It happens because gravity and you don't have a car fitted with hill descent speed control.

A lot of more modern cars do - they use the rear brakes to slow the car down, from memory.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    This is a 2013 model Honda, so I don't call that old. It's an automatic so there is no engine braking.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    +1

His speedo must have been reading 40MPH to get a reading of 36MPH on a radar, thats simple carelessness.

Perhaps. The camera was at the bottom of a hill, which I've driven down many times in cars with a cruise control and in others with none. What I didn't realise was that in a CRV you are in the former going uphill and the latter going downhill.
  • motorguy
    This is a 2013 model Honda, so I don't call that old. It's an automatic so there is no engine braking.

Sounds like its just !!!!!! then.

You need to get yourself a good Audi.

:rotfl:
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Perhaps. The camera was at the bottom of a hill, which I've driven down many times in cars with a cruise control and in others with none. What I didn't realise was that in a CRV you are in the former going uphill and the latter going downhill.
    Yes, definitely careless. Weren't you aware of the car speeding up?
  • motorguy
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Yes, definitely careless. Weren't you aware of the car speeding up?

Hes been too busy being offended by Audi drivers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure