What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 6 August

Comments

• dearbarbie
    dearbarbie Posts: 566 Forumite
    Hello all - today I joined this!

I've started turning power off for things like TV and router when I'm not at my place - I stay at my bf's a few nights a week so makes sense...although once I was so overzealous about that on holiday last year for a fortnight... I didn't realise I turned my freezer off and lost a load of food!

I have been super conscious to make packed lunches and breakfasts every day...but failed yesterday as stayed at my bf's house and forgot to prepare.

Tonight I'll be working on making my blog a bit more monetised!
    :A
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Morning all :)
    I was up early after a not great night's sleep, but am determined to make the most of the day :)

Modest list:
    Pack and post 2 ebay parcels
    Check banks and update spreadsheet
    Buy printer ink and a couple of other things - I have a voucher :)
    Make roasted tomato sauce with cherry tomato mountain
    Ironing - only the things that really need it though!
    Clean downstairs floors
    Clean first flight of stairs
    Repot parsley plants into empty big pots
    Cook a pan of potatoes - wanting to use up rest of home grown earlies, and I need some to make a frittata for dinner tonight
    Watering this evening, unless we get some decent rain.

That will do, I think!
  • Thrice
    Thrice Posts: 159 Forumite
    Morning all!

Friday at last! Good for those like me who don't work the weekends!

All food from stores (£0 left in this weeks grocery budget)
    Check comps every day, surveys etc as usual
    Check banking - done today. Moved £300 from my current account into the savings pile (to pay for car repairs on the hire car)
    Update spends for August - Still not started but will start tonight, I've got receipts and post-it's for everything so just need to sit down and do it!
    Start writing a list of all the house jobs needing done (NOT looking forward to this one!) - Still not started cos I really don't want to see the list :o:o:o
    Write a list of all points etc I've got lying on cards, and see if I can use for remaining birthday gifts or christmas presents. I've got over £60 worth of Boots points for a start - Need to do this!!

Adding on -

Triage the fridge, see if I can freeze / dehydrate anything. Work meals for the weekend from what's left from this weeks shopping.
    Make a big pot of lentil or spicy lentil soup and freeze portions
    Waiting on a call back from London & Country (thanks for the MSE email links!) to try to sort a new mortgage. I was on a fixed 5 year deal which has just ended.

Hope everyone is doing well x
  • Hello :wave:
    I'm back! For the moment anyway - can't believe I get to do it all again for 3 days next week as well (it seemed like a good idea at the time when I planned it). It was quite a spendy few days but nothing really unexpected. The kids had an amazing time, although my body hates me for the amount of walking I forced it to do - I'm really not used to 16000+ steps a day, and I'm a big girl so it was hard work.
    Got home to find that the bathroom repairs were more complex than originally thought - thank goodness I've found a handyman to help out. He's done it all, but I will need to keep saving up for more maintenance to be done. There is lots needing done, but nothing urgent.
    I had a bit of a lie in this morning then got up, cleared my food cupboard and sorted it, followed by a quick grocery shop.
    Also remembered to ring up my pension company to get a value for my pension for the divorce. This is where I am going to significantly lose out...:mad:
    Need to do a couple more things today and if I write them here I will be accountable and get them done... 1. Read gas and electric meters, 2. Complete exam review, 3. Marking.
    I'm pleased it's a bit cooler, but still sunny outside :D
  • Thrice
    Thrice Posts: 159 Forumite
    Ah CCL you reminded me! I submitted my meter readings a few days ago, and managed to reduce both direct debits, plus I took a £130 credit against my gas account!!

DH said last night he wanted to book his CBT test, which cost £130....... So I offered my refund as his birthday present, and he's booked his test! Phoned them today to pay for it and managed to get them down to £99 so saved a bit too!:money::money:
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi Friday Frugalistas,
    Weird sort of day, but delighted to see some proper rain. Have spent ages on the phone this morning. 7 calls to the hospital, 1 call to my sister (about the hospital) & a call from Mum (in the hospital - still the wrong one & no sign of a transfer). Slept better though - took 2 valerian. Enough of this moaning. Have also:
    *Picked more tomatoes & courgettes.
    *Picked up another basket of windfall apples.
    *Made chutney with a kilo of the apples - Bengal chutney - not a recipe I've tried before. Think will go great with chicken & curries.
    *Fed a bowlful of scraps to worm composter.
    *Easy 'free' meal tonight - last of the bakers with a portion of the curried mince & peas I made in my slow cooker the other week.
    *Sort out online grocery delivery when it arrives.
    *Free fitness - Whitesnake/Deep Purple/Rainbow/Dio CD at the ready for a bit of aerobics/dancing hybrid activity....hey, if it burns flab, I'm not bothered!
    *All free leisure today - a bit of knitting & I want to finish both my book & audiobook.
    Ok, time to wield the Dyson.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Evening everyone

Has been a productive but strange day
    Went out first thing this morning to get cat food (still going to tesc@s as this is where it is still the cheapest) in the rain and it was freezing cold.
    Came out to see blue skies and it just warming up.
    Mid morning rain again, I had washing on line but by the afternoon we had blue skies again and temps were really up. Washing dried so will get the rest on the line tomorrow.

Was hoping that the rain would stop as I wanted to pop out in the afternoon to post an eBay parcel.
    Decided while I was out that I would get a couple of other things done which would save me time tomorrow.
    Picked up some new pillowcases in the Arg@s sale and used RM vouchers so only cost a £1 for the 2 packs I bought
    Popped to get some birthday cards and picked up a big bear in the c.f@ctory sale down to 99p. Thought I had waved off my last charity parcel today but I have a few unwanted present bits and a few of DDs cuddlies that can go so I will do one final box. It is actually doing me a favour with some decluttering aswell.

Strange thing happened on the way back to the car. An old man shuffling past with a stick insisted on giving me a pound. He was adamant and it was obvious he had it ready. I don't know whether he was doing random acts of kindness. Started chatting to a man sitting on a bench after who had seen it all who said that there was no way I was going to stop this chap from giving me the pound but still made me feel bad. It confirmed to me that doing one final charity box was the right thing to do for my random act of kindness.
    Still have paperwork to be done-must do this
    Made my Bolognese sauce yesterday forgetting that DD was going out for food with a friend last night and tonight she treated me and my mum to take away. will portion up and freeze tomorrow.

foxgloves the Bengal chutney sounds interesting
    CCL I've treated DD and her BF to an Alton Towers stay at the end of the month. Got it on a really good deal. DD thought it was for me and her but my days of Alton Towers and lasting a day never mind 3 days are well and truly over, but i know they will have a great time and make the most of it. Couldn't believe how cheap it was, they will spend 2 nights at the Alton Towers hotel. When i took DD and DN several years ago for one night it cost a fortune but this was a cracking deal
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 8:17AM
    Hi August-Austerees,

Morning!:coffee: Just a quick visit. Been living ITRW a lot this week and practising saying "no" a lot. And absolutely no unpaid overtime. Tesco Clubcard vouchers have arrived.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

THINGS I WILL DO:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Take medication. Done.

* Turn alarm clock off at the wall til tonight. Done.

* Get some exercise. ave done lots of free running this week.

* Packed lunches this week have been mainly YS shrubbery.

* Continue to negotiate payrise.

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Morning all
    As I suspected, once I wrote my couple of things down I got them all done yesterday afternoon. Work for the exam board is all up to date again, and I read gas and electric meters and applied for a new deal as my fix is due to end in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I don't think I'm £130 in credit Thrice, but never mind - I'm hoping I might knock a few £££ off my dd (especially now that there are only 3 of us in the house).
    It took most of the afternoon to get caught up on work, then I spent the evening relaxing and catching up with tv I'd missed while I was away. Bit of a contrast to the past few days that's for sure.
    Today's plans include catching up with bestie, and detailed planning of next week's trip. They do some fantastic deals with the hotels HK - but it was still a better deal for us to rent a cottage for a few days. I also think that they are a bit sneaky with all of their extra charges - car parks, fast track tickets etc. It soon adds up that's for sure. However, as I say - the kids enjoy it, and that's the most important thing to me for the moment.
    Have a good day all :D
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Morning all :)
    HK - I agree, the weather was really odd yesterday. I got soaked on at least two separate occasions, with blazing sunshine in between. Still, the garden got watered, so that made up for it!
    Good luck with the pay rise negotiations Ally :)

Sold an ebay item, and noticed that a used Monsoon top I put on my private account is now up to over £30 on auction. It won't have cost much more than that new, several years ago, so not sure what is going on. I don't like these odd occasions when people bid silly money for things, as they invariably don't pay, or end up causing hassle in other ways. I expected it to make between £5-10. Obviously if it goes through ok it will be a bonus, but I foresee problems ahead :(

Anyway, will deal with that if / when it happens. Today's list looks like this:
    HG raspberries and blueberries with breakfast

Clean living room - OH was sat in front of sport on TV nearly all day and evening yesterday and I didn't get chance to do it :mad:
    Make hummus - not sure why, but I haven't tried this before, so looking forward to experimenting!
    Make a mixed bean chilli for dinner
    Pick tomatoes / raspberries / blueberries
    Sort printer out and print off some stuff for my business

Can't think of more atm, and DD might well turn up with kids in tow, so if I manage more, I will be back later to update!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure