Is there a 'best' time of year to buy a used car?

Just like with most things, there's usually a best time of year to catch some savings. Is there a best time of year to buy a used car? Such as maybe in the run-up to Christmas or in the New Year? People might want to sell their cars to fund holidays or because they've been gifted a new one.

Figured I'd ask, and maybe someone might know.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just like with most things, there's usually a best time of year to catch some savings. Is there a best time of year to buy a used car? Such as maybe in the run-up to Christmas or in the New Year? People might want to sell their cars to fund holidays or because they've been gifted a new one.

Figured I'd ask, and maybe someone might know.

People aren't often selling their cars because they are desperate for the money.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    At one time it was when the new registrations came out as dealers had a glut of trade ins.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Really? I know of a few people who sold their vehicles for money. This was a few years back, I guess things have changed.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,687 Forumite
    It depends on the age and style of car. Nearly new values drop slightly with plate and model changes. Convertibles and sports cars dip after summer, 4x4's dip after winter.

Older car prices tend to be a bit more stable.

It's likely the desperate car seller will take it to a car buying place for same day cash.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Really? I know of a few people who sold their vehicles for money. This was a few years back, I guess things have changed.

Everybody sells their car for money, all the cars I have sold were simply because I was getting a newer and different model car, I'd guess that's the case for the majority of private sellers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure