Phone given to a six year old?

Comments

• ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 12:58PM
    Technology is a fact of life these days and delaying children's introduction to it holds back their development, acceptance and understanding of it.

My nephew (age 8) does "coding club" at school. I'd have paid way, way more attention in primary school if we'd had something like that.

Whilst yours is a valid point of view, if there had been coding club in my school - I would have ran a mile to smoke behind the bike sheds

we are all very different beings.

But having said that , a coding club =useful for learning, is different to having a personal smart phone as a young child - and the potential for access to that 24/7 too young imo for social media and all that brings

However I do see your point. its a fine balance i guess of how to introduce such things.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Highest ever incidences of anxiety and mental illness among children
    Highest ever incidences of childhood obesity
    Ever-increasing levels of ADHD - unheard of until recent decades. (prolonged screen use decreases attention span and causes eye strain)

So all this is attributed to mobile phone use ? OK, if you say so then it must be true.
  • meer53 wrote: »
    Highest ever incidences of anxiety and mental illness among children
    Highest ever incidences of childhood obesity
    Ever-increasing levels of ADHD - unheard of until recent decades. (prolonged screen use decreases attention span and causes eye strain)

So all this is attributed to mobile phone use ? OK, if you say so then it must be true.

Linked to screen use, yes. Do a bit of googling, there's loads of information out there. This is just one link. I could spend all day linking to various studies, but chances are you still wouldn't believe it. You know the old saying, there's none so deaf as those who don't want to hear.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2014/08/28/343735856/kids-and-screen-time-what-does-the-research-say?t=1534082102804
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Linked to screen use, yes. Do a bit of googling, there's loads of information out there. This is just one link. I could spend all day linking to various studies, but chances are you still wouldn't believe it. You know the old saying, there's none so deaf as those who don't want to hear.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2014/08/28/343735856/kids-and-screen-time-what-does-the-research-say?t=1534082102804

Have you ever thought that could apply to you?

Lots of things are dangerous or can lead to problems but not if we use them wisely.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    Have you ever thought that could apply to you?

Lots of things are dangerous or can lead to problems but not if we use them wisely.

I'm not the one who insists that children as young as 6 should be given an iphone, despite common sense and damning evidence to the contrary!

I honestly don't give a damn how people spend their free time, but I do think children often need to be protected from the stupidity of their parents, before it's too late.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Forumite
    I'm not the one who insists that children as young as 6 should be given an iphone, despite common sense and damning evidence to the contrary!

But there is no evidence that reasonably managed access to any specific electronic device will cause the things you are claiming.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Forumite
    If you are concerned about her viewing inappropriate websites or using social meeja, then once she has worked out how to connect the phone to wi-fi, she'll be able to browse regardless of a missing SIM.
    All she can't do is phone or text.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    If you are concerned about her viewing inappropriate websites or using social meeja, then once she has worked out how to connect the phone to wi-fi, she'll be able to browse regardless of a missing SIM.
    All she can't do is phone or text.

The child is 6. They will not be able to set up any social media accounts as won't have the knowledge or any email address to do this. They can access the web but what do you think a six year old is going to be googling!

More danger of the things your are talking about when the child gets older and works out how to do these things for themselves/gets peer pressure into googling things they shouldn't. Even then with correct parenting and schooling (yes they learn about on-line safety at school) it is perfectly possible for older children to be safe on line.

I don't understand it, there are stories in the news about what has happened to some children and somehow people then think this is the norm, its not, its rare. There are tragic stores on the news as well where people have been killed but no one believes everyone who leaves the house will be killed so why do they think all children will be lead down some path of no return because they were allowed to play a few childrens apps for a hour or so a day.
  • The child is 6. They will not be able to set up any social media accounts as won't have the knowledge or any email address to do this. They can access the web but what do you think a six year old is going to be googling!

Anything, if there isn't a firewall, (and anything if there is, as a friend or older sibling will get round the firewall in a matter of minutes.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure