We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    We have a smoothie fan in this house, so a lot of small berries get frozen. I must remember to put a generous portion of peas & beans in the freezer for xmas dinner. On the tomato front, I've not yet reached the glut stage, but it's too hot to leave them out in a basket in the kitchen (like I've done in previous years). Curry tonight with fresh tomatoes. Might consider some little portions of tomato sauce if a glut develops.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Gardening fail today :(

I've composted a huge amount of bananas and I think the wasps have got drunk on them. While I was trying to turn the pile, one flew in my T-Shirt and tried to sting his way out.

It smells quite sweet and boozy and not like compost should.

Any thoughts?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • stoozie1
    Tomatoes are going very well I am picking about 1lb a day and I look to have enough to see me through for quite a few weeks.

How many plants and which variety are giving you these yields?

Jealous! :)
  • unrecordings
    Bananas are banned from 'my' compost bin - they're not pleasant (not that a compost bin is meant to be pleasant). My excuse is they attract rats (which could be something I just made up). In other news, the runner bean glut has started, so tomorrow I'll blanch a load and freeze them for xmas dinner, along with a batch of peas which I'll shell and freeze on a tray without blanching. Assuming any survive the podding tax. It was surprisingly cool this evening so myself and Dearly Beloved watered various bits of the garden. I've some Red Duke Of York potatoes to harvest, but it's too hot for that kind of milarky. They can stay in there for a while longer. Aubergines are looking really good (I hate aubergine) anyone know how to tell when they're ripe ?

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    stoozie1 wrote: »

20 outdoors and 14 in the greenhouse but I am quite a chaotic gardener so that is just 2 plants planted in 17 big tubs with canes to tie them up. I use new slow release nutrient compost but I don't feed or anything except water every two days. All of the pots are in drip trays and I water them from the bottom.

This year I am growing Tigerella, Marmande, Black Russian, Floridity, Balcony Yellow, Chocolate, Tomato berry, and some unidentified red mini tom. Together with four neighbours we all grow different types and then swap. I like Floridity the best so I have grown a lot of those. Most of what I grow are the small types so they ripen quickly - although this year everything is ready at pretty much the same time.

The ones outdoors are doing the best, they are against a south facing wall so they do get a lot of heat.
  • stoozie1
    20 outdoors and 14 in the greenhouse but I am quite a chaotic gardener

me too! That's given me hope now ;)
    so that is just 2 plants planted in 17 big tubs with canes to tie them up. I use new slow release nutrient compost but I don't feed or anything except water every two days. All of the pots are in drip trays and I water them from the bottom.

This year I am growing Tigerella, Marmande, Black Russian, Floridity, Balcony Yellow, Chocolate, Tomato berry, and some unidentified red mini tom. Together with four neighbours we all grow different types and then swap. I like Floridity the best so I have grown a lot of those. Most of what I grow are the small types so they ripen quickly - although this year everything is ready at pretty much the same time.

The ones outdoors are doing the best, they are against a south facing wall so they do get a lot of heat.
    Thanks, I've noted this for next year.

Whilst I'm on:

seed purchases
    Where do you all buy from? Do you rate Wilko? Ebay?
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Often Wilko, but my Floridity came from Suttons.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post

I am picking 200 cherry tomatoes from tumblers now, also some gardeners delight starting and I haven't even considered the allotment where there are about 10 plants assorted.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • unrecordings
    Wonderful rain today, so I blanched a batch of runner beans for xmas. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get out in the garden again.

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 11:46PM
    seed purchases[/B] Where do you all buy from? Do you rate Wilko? Ebay?

I usually look at what I already have and are still in date, make a list of what I need and go to the garden centre in August/Sept as they reduce all their seeds to 50p per pack. They usually have a huge tub of veg seeds and the same of flower seeds. I spend a happy hour or so sorting through them. Other gardeners have cottoned on to this sale and there is often a swapping of ideas.

Then I wait until the seed catalogs arrive and spend more time dreaming and occasionally buying.

However, try Nicky's Seed company in Broadstairs Kent, no catalog, good prices, no frill packaging https://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk

Today picked yellow courgettes, my first tomatoes, 2 aubergines, runner beans, cannelloni beans, basil, cucumbers, 2 peppers. No great glut just enough to keep the two of us going for a few days. The good thing was I went to the supermarket this afternoon and as I walked up and down the veg isle I was saying - don't need that, got some of that at home... it was a really good feeling, just bought frozen peas, mushrooms, a cauliflower and some apples and oranges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure