Reasonably priced places to eat easily accessible from Gatwick north terminal without a car?

Options

Comments

• the_gardener_2
    Options
    There are local buses from Gatwick also the trains to horley are available on contactless/oyster although paper return tickets are similar. Look on the tfl website. We want it all ............ cheap food and cheap flights
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are local buses from Gatwick also the trains to horley are available on contactless/oyster although paper return tickets are similar. Look on the tfl website. We want it all ............ cheap food and cheap flights

Metrobus service No.100 is alright. But if it's cold it ain't much fun hanging around for a bus to turn up.....none for ages, then 3 turn-up...

https://www.metrobus.co.uk/route-information/100
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    It can be quite manic sometimes, big groups, boisterous children, and the like, which might take the edge off an enjoyable, relaxing meal.

Yes, I like the North Terminal Premier Inn for value and convenience but the bar/restaurant area can get very busy and sometimes feels like feeding time at the zoo. I prefer to eat elsewhere then come back to the hotel for a nightcap before bed.

Another tip for the hotel is to try to get a room on one of the lower floors. The lifts take forever to arrive so it can be quicker to use the stairs.
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    Do hotels allow this?

I've had takeaways delivered to hotels many times without problems. Not once have I, or the hotel, ever questioned it.

Most of the time I have to go to reception to collect it though as they might not have access to the rooms, some hotels just let them through.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just outside Gatwick North is Hookwood village. Huge Tesco with a fancy cafe. I'm not sure if there is a bus there, but you could get a 5 minute taxi ride. It's actually walkable from the hotel, but will be too far for your OH.

https://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bID=2560&sccmp=refyg*stc2560&utm_source=yext-_google&utm_campaign=2560&utm_medium=organic

Further out from the village there's a nice pub: https://www.blackhorsehookwood.co.uk

Give them a ring to find out if there's a bus, or if they could recommend a local - not airport - taxi. A local taxi would be cheaper.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's also a McD on the ring road , just beyond the Gatwick South train station and Hilton (?) hotel.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/restaurant-locator.html?submit=true&radiusSelected=5&searchText=Gatwick
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It looks like MacDonalds would be a case of getting the monorail back to the south terminal and then about a 200mtr walk but I'm not sure if it's accessible on foot.

Yes, the McDs is just a normal roadside outlet, with normal prices. It's not far, but it is on the wrong side of the Ring Road, with no crossing.

Giraffe claims to be before security at the South Terminal.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had takeaways delivered to hotels many times without problems. Not once have I, or the hotel, ever questioned it.

Most of the time I have to go to reception to collect it though as they might not have access to the rooms, some hotels just let them through.

I've even known hotels have the menus from local takeaways in their rooms though the only time I have done in myself was when I was stuck in a hotel in the US in the middle of a snowstorm. The delivery guy earned his tip.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Yes, I like the North Terminal Premier Inn for value and convenience but the bar/restaurant area can get very busy and sometimes feels like feeding time at the zoo. I prefer to eat elsewhere then come back to the hotel for a nightcap before bed.

Another tip for the hotel is to try to get a room on one of the lower floors. The lifts take forever to arrive so it can be quicker to use the stairs.

10th Floor for us. There's a remote lift through a door just to the right hand side of the restaurant, a lot less people use it because they don't know about it.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2018 at 7:00AM
    Options
    Not in direct answer to your question but make sure you join MyGatwick it's free and they have some good offers.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/mygatwick/

Currently I can see (food and drink offers) of:
    15% Off your total food bill at Wondertree
    Free Side dish with every main Course at Grain Store
    20% discount on Takeaway drinks at Grain Store
    £1 coffee* with any pastry/croissant at Joes
    Giraffe: 2 World/Breakfast Sandwiches for £15
    £1 coffee* with any pastry/croissant at Giraffe
    50p off a standard meal deal at WHSmith
    Get 2 Full English Breakfasts for £16
    15% off total food bill at Nicholas Culpeper
This discussion has been closed.