Can airlines move you to cheaper seats?

Has anyone had experience of an airline moving you out of premium seats you have paid extra for and had confirmed, to cheaper seats without saying why or offering compensation/refund? I was notified of the different seats in September for an online booking made in April, for a flight coming up in mid December...

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    maybe an aircraft change that does not have the same layout. If you name the airline and route it should help. Seat assignments are never guaranteed but you may be due some sort of refund
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You'll be due a refund for the difference in seat prices.
  • Westjet have changed aircraft and now say the seats I originally booked are in business class... but they say the seats they have moved me to are in premium, even though they are not as big and not as good a position as the premium ones I actually booked... so they have got round having to refund me anything, even though I only booked with them because of these particular premium seats!
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Aircraft types are never guaranteed and all airlines will have this covered in their T&Cs. That can be the risks of booking based on a particular aircraft type.

If you booked and payed for Premium and are still getting Premium then they probably don't have to refund you anything. You could try asking them for a gesture of goodwill but its unlikely they'll do anything.
  • headpin
    headpin Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 December 2019 at 10:43PM
    Premium seats even on the same airline can be very different in pitch, width, recline, etc. Just one of those things.

What you need to check is whether the seats now being offered are normally classified as premium. If not then ask for a refund, but keep the evidence when you check to produce to them.

Checking the Westjet fleet it seems that the only aircraft that they operate with Business Class is the B787 Dreamliner. Rows 1 - 4 are shown as Business Class and Rows 5 - 8 as Premium. Rest is standard economy. So, if you have been moved from row 1 -4 into row 5 - 8 then it appears as if you are still in Premium. If not start chasing for a refund.
  • ruffwood
    ruffwood Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    https://thepointsguy.co.uk/reviews/westjet-premium-economy-787/

Here is a recent review of their Premium product. See if it matches what you originally booked for? It might be superior
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure