New neighbours don't get the etiquette

Comments

• There’s nothing you can do if the neighbour doesn’t want to obey the unwritten convention and parks legally and safely. I’m afraid if you need guaranteed parking, you need to own the space to get it. Sounds like you’ve been fortunate for a long time and now it’s come to an end.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    Theoretically somewhere private, the Highway as part of the Highways Act does not give rights for the public to store their vehicles, but in practicality and over time, Highway Authorities have chosen not to enforce this, but just install restrictions where parking is dangerous or parking turnover is generally advantageous.

Ultimately it is the individual member of the public's choice to live in a property with no off-street parking, but own a car.

Not really a choice as such though if you can't afford somewhere with its own drive but need a car for the job that you do.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    elsien wrote: »
    Out of interest, if people don't have a drive where else would you suggest they store their cars?

I believe they're just paraphrasing how the law views the matter. Technically every parked car is considered an obstruction of the highway.

But in my experience, most drivers seem to only consider what is convenient to themselves when choosing where to park, rather than whether they are hindering anyone else's free passage or causing a hazard. They'd rather park like a utter p**** than walk even 20ft extra.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    elsien wrote: »
    Not really a choice as such though if you can't afford somewhere with its own drive but need a car for the job that you do.
    Yes, I agree, but ultimately it is personal choice, I know it sounds harsh, but that is the reality.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As above, nothing you can do, your neighbour has just as much right as you to park on the road if she chooses. She'll probably get bored sooner or later and start parking on her drive again.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    You should Carey on parking where you did but don't expect to get there all the time. Unless you have a drive or designated space there is no guarantee of a space.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    neilmcl wrote: »
    As above, nothing you can do, your neighbour has just as much right as you to park on the road if she chooses. She'll probably get bored sooner or later and start parking on her drive again.

This ^^^

When it's P'ing down with rain, she'll want the convenience of her own driveway rather than over the road.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • My issue isn't getting "my space" I know anyone can park there but my issue is the petty way they moved their car to take up two of the spaces. So not only could I not park but neither could anyone else in the street.
    I think it's just the way they have positioned their car so they can own that piece of road and potentially !!!! off the whole road. Well those without a driveway or in our case those with a driveway too. Two residents park their cars on the road but have driveways. It's weird but until she came along it worked absolutely fine. Seems weird.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My issue isn't getting "my space" I know anyone can park there but my issue is the petty way they moved their car to take up two of the spaces. So not only could I not park but neither could anyone else in the street.
    I think it's just the way they have positioned their car so they can own that piece of road and potentially !!!! off the whole road. Well those without a driveway or in our case those with a driveway too. Two residents park their cars on the road but have driveways. It's weird but until she came along it worked absolutely fine. Seems weird.
    Just wait for the fun and games over Christmas and NY, when people are at home more during the day and also have more visitors to their homes.
  • Barny1979 wrote: »
    Just wait for the fun and games over Christmas and NY, when people are at home more during the day and also have more visitors to their homes.

I go away at Christmas so it won't bother me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure