My 25 Months Challenge

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 August 2019 at 11:15PM
    So i am a little tired and run down today. Underlying health issue and recent emotional upset are somewhat draining. Still, i'm going to push through and do a bit more today, after coffee :coffee:

I am sorry you are having a tough time. Good to see you making the choice to press on and find the good in each day.
    Finished a book in bed this morning :T excited to choose next one, will see what my heart feels like - there is one i fancy so probably that - looks to be about 1000 pages - a quick win there then :rotfl:

Given how many book you have - could you make it a goal to immediately give the book back to charity after you've read it? I now keep a stock of green bags from HB that I keep filling to give to charity.
    Pots to wash, washing to move and a new load of washing to go on. I then pledge here to clear 2 bags!

The bag issue - i sound like a real bag lady so will perhaps need to explain where they've come from. I can often be rushing in only to be going out again in the next 15 minutes - can't be later or i'll miss my lift so any bags (usually full of exciting second-hand finds or books) are duly dumped to be sorted later - except in this cycle of rushingaboutness free time later doesn't seem to arrive. Other bags accumulate as a quick fix on tidying things away. I
    Did you clear the two bags? I have adopted the same bag solution as you previously - and was horrified one day when OH was clearing out the garage and looked through some of those bags only to find our passports!!!! :eek: So believe me, no judgment, yet at the same time - for every bag I let go of I feel a little lighter. I have even stopped buying my beloved second hand crystal as I have too much stuff to display it properly. It sounds a little like you would benefit from a 'fast' from buying books for a period... this could help you clear / find a place for / give away some of your current stock and enjoy them more with less guilt for all the stacks waiting to be read. In a book I'm currently listening to - the girl realised she could wear different outfits for 2 months straight - she stopped buying new clothes for over 3 years! Just a thought ;)
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • I am sorry you are having a tough time. Good to see you making the choice to press on and find the good in each day.

Given how many book you have - could you make it a goal to immediately give the book back to charity after you've read it? I now keep a stock of green bags from HB that I keep filling to give to charity.

Did you clear the two bags? I have adopted the same bag solution as you previously - and was horrified one day when OH was clearing out the garage and looked through some of those bags only to find our passports!!!! :eek: So believe me, no judgment, yet at the same time - for every bag I let go of I feel a little lighter. I have even stopped buying my beloved second hand crystal as I have too much stuff to display it properly. It sounds a little like you would benefit from a 'fast' from buying books for a period... this could help you clear / find a place for / give away some of your current stock and enjoy them more with less guilt for all the stacks waiting to be read. In a book I'm currently listening to - the girl realised she could wear different outfits for 2 months straight - she stopped buying new clothes for over 3 years! Just a thought ;)

Hi savings :)

Thank you for your post and kind words :)

I pass books on to friends, family and charity - it's more the reference / things I can learn from books i keep.

Thank you for fessing up on the bags :) - glad i'm not alone :rotfl: But no, i didn't get to them, life happened.

Yes, it would help to stop buying books - just got the 2 at the weekend though - £1.50 and i'm very happy :o

Clothes is a good idea though - i got rid of lots but have now bought lots, my impressively easy weight gain is the culprit :o I will sell the bigger clothes as i slim down out of them ;)

Just a brief reply savings as i popped in to do a quick update but didn't want to read and not reply but i'm super-tired x really do appreciate you stopping by :D
    Mortgage Balance
  • well, as explained to savings i'm super tired - can anyone see a theme? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: but i did want to stop by with a quick post before bed.

Don't want to moan too much on here as that would be most dull! but life is challenging at the moment, and has been for the last however long.., particularly in recent weeks things have been hard work. The bumps in the road which you don't notice when everything is going great are consistently catching me out and i am figuratively picking myself up a dozen or more times a day. But i am picking myself up. It is just harder to do each time and i have less resilience, cheeriness, energy at the moment. Whilst i mostly have my health and my job there are a lot of things i'm not happy with in and around my life at the moment. I don't, however, have a magic wand to change it all. I do have the ability to try and keep picking myself up positively and i have the ability to see where i want to be and a lot of the things i want to change and make steps towards that.

I have some receipts so will need to check what categories spends belong in - food shopping but i'm doing a closer analysis than that ;)

This weekend I will:

declutter / tidy more

spend at least 90 minutes doing something just for me.

review finances and goals and make sure these are up to date

catch up on diaries

post more - had a bit of a LBM re family upset and pondering this too - not a lbm as a solution but interesting thoughts nonetheless.

Night all xx
    Mortgage Balance
  • Well bumps in the road and today has been very bumpy indeed! Picks self up again.

I updated spreadsheet with analysis of food shopping - what fun! :D:o:D And it feels good to have that thought process about purchases - rather than just thinking 'food'.
    Mortgage Balance
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done for keeping going in spite of the hard times. I think I am going to steal room of doom as we definitely have one of those :D. I'm also trying to clear out space as I have a fair bit I don't really need. When we moved all my craft stuff got chucked in the spare wardrobe (which is cavernous) in no order at all, along with other random bits husband put in there. I was looking for my pins so I could shorten our curtains earlier but that was a complete fail as everything is such a mess. I should probably get clearing!
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • Nichelette wrote: »
    Well done for keeping going in spite of the hard times. I think I am going to steal room of doom as we definitely have one of those :D. I'm also trying to clear out space as I have a fair bit I don't really need. When we moved all my craft stuff got chucked in the spare wardrobe (which is cavernous) in no order at all, along with other random bits husband put in there. I was looking for my pins so I could shorten our curtains earlier but that was a complete fail as everything is such a mess. I should probably get clearing!

Hi Nichelette, good luck with it - i do think it's being organised and being able to access and use and value what you have which is important. I will be doing more tomorrow - decluttering a book and some chocolates tonight though :D
    Mortgage Balance
  • Thanks to Savingsholmes i have set myself the mini challenge of clearing and closing the card debt in my sig. I paid an extra £55 to this from survey money and cancelling a pesky Direct Debit which should not have been there, but as i'd spotted it and 'saved' the money i paid this too and rounded the money up ;)

Brain has suddenly woken up the the fact September is knocking on our door - when I thought it was another 2 weeks away so i would've had about 6 weeks or £250 a week extra to find now it's more like £375 a week extra - Bring it on! :D
    Mortgage Balance
  • Tahlullah.H
    Tahlullah.H Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I love your positivity and your ability to bounce back. But life can make you seem like a tennis ball. You bounce high the first time, and then as you keep bouncing, you get lower and lower until at some point, you stop bouncing and just roll along the floor.

Keep your spirits up re the family. You are doing great in other areas of your life that you can control so don't let this problem define you. Look at what you achieve on a daily basis and remember to celebrate those successes. You are doing great, book and bags included!!
    What I do not give, you must never take by force.
    Mortgage outstanding - 30/12/22 - £25,900. 31/01/23 - £22,300. 28/02/23 - £20,500. 31/03/23 - £17,500. 30/04/23 - £15,800. 30/05/23 - £13,800. 31/06/23 - £11,300. 31/07/23 - £9,800. 31/08/23 - £8,300. 30/09/23 - £6,000. 31/10/23 - £3,000. 30/11/23 - £1,200. 06/12/23 - £00.00
    God save us everyone, As we burn inside the fire of a thousand suns, For the sins of our hands, The sins of our tongues, The sins of our fathers, The sins of our young.
    Linkin Park
  • I love your positivity and your ability to bounce back. But life can make you seem like a tennis ball. You bounce high the first time, and then as you keep bouncing, you get lower and lower until at some point, you stop bouncing and just roll along the floor.

Keep your spirits up re the family. You are doing great in other areas of your life that you can control so don't let this problem define you. Look at what you achieve on a daily basis and remember to celebrate those successes. You are doing great, book and bags included!!

Thank you Tahlullah - i must admit to having to force that positivity and the calamitous sequence of events unfolding in a day probably belong in a comedy farce but aren't that funny when they are adding more time / expense / difficulties to life. Ho hum! I love the analogy of the ball - i am trying to retain, or perhaps gain would be the right word now, bounce :D - i picked the green face because it's more like a tennis ball :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Mortgage Balance
  • A bit of a list

dry washing, move washing and put another load in

cook lunch / tea

clear coffee table

clear couch of items dumped there

sort work bag

clear 1 bag

finish book

90 minutes possibly chunked into 3 x 30 mins

facial treatment - using products i have :D

shower and wash hair - going out tomorrow and it takes a pesky long time to do

clear worktops in kitchen

Pay a bill and use the opportunity to update finances :cool:

Choose a new book to read :)

Follow up on the sale of a few books

organise some of new art items i have

Watch a film tonight :)
    Mortgage Balance
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income