Bad quality seasonal fruit. Does it happen in your area?

Where I live (South London) I am not finding navel oranges or Williams/Comice pears, which are the best.
I have tried, Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Lidl, Iceland and Morrisons. Only Sainsbury's is selling navels but pre packed. Four in a net at 2 pounds. The quality is still poor.
The only pears sold loose are conference. Again, Sainsbury's is selling other varieties packed in four (more plastic!!!) at two pounds and again, quality does not justify the price.
I asked friends living in Italy to find out if is was a climate issue but they tell me they have good fruit at good prices.
Food quality has been steadily going down as prices go up but this is outrageous. These are seasonal fruit.
I wonder if this is happening everywhere.
There are no street markets where I live but whenever I have visited a ¨Farmers Market¨ that opens every other week end or so I have found they sell mostly prepared stuff and they are just retailers anyway.

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don’t find the quality of fruit from supermarkets very good as a rule,I miss how years ago bakers butchers and fruit and veg shops were everywhere.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,849
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I don’t find the quality of fruit from supermarkets very good as a rule,I miss how years ago bakers butchers and fruit and veg shops were everywhere.

I am very lucky, I still have local butchers, greengrocers and lovely bakeries.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nikiya
    Nikiya Posts: 547
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I only remember ONE greengrocer and a REAL bakery (as opposed to retailers selling mass production). That was nearly 30 years ago and they do not exist any more.
    But even for those of us who depend on supermarkets, the trend is downwards in terms of quality.
    As an update, I have found navel oranges at Tescos, but sold as a package. Only slightly better and cheaper than those at Sainsbury's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure