Best oven chips?

Options

Comments

• Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    My favourite are the Aldi crinkle cut oven chips, I cook them a few minutes longer than recommended and they come up lovely.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • madvixen
    Options
    McCain Gastro chips for me. I hated oven chips but these have totally converted me.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    I tried them once and can't say I was sold on them, they seemed to take forever (maybe because they are big) to cook.

I do like Mccain Home Chips. I also dont stick to 1 brand or style as I mix it up. I only have an oven so the french fries are either cooked too much or not enough. Mccain rustic fries are ok.

I've had the problem with the Deluxe chips not cooking.

Give the new Lidl Steak chips a try. Coated chips but thier size is about 1/4 inch in height, twice that in width and any length up to 4 inches long. As they are less chunky they cook better.

But the good thing is these chips only cost 99p for 1.5kg.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    I'm know I'm going against the flow here but I actually think chips are one of the very few foods where the better quality processed pre-packed version actually tastes better than the home made version.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm know I'm going against the flow here but I actually think chips are one of the very few foods where the better quality processed pre-packed version actually tastes better than the home made version.

Oven chips? I have to agree

Which is why I no longer buy them :)
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 September 2018 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Bacman wrote: »
    Make your own, it's cheaper and also you don't have any preservatives added. Healthier too.
    Do you have any evidence of your "it's healthier" and "it's cheaper" claims?

Thinking of quantifiable evidence taking into account the longer cook on home made oven chips, and equipment purchased, such as a chipper...

I myself choose Asda home style.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 September 2018 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Do you have any evidence of your "it's healthier" and "it's cheaper" claims?

Thinking of quantifiable evidence taking into account the longer cook on home made oven chips, and equipment purchased, such as a chipper...

I myself choose Asda home style.

You don't NEED a chipper to make home made chips, a sharp knife works fine. It will take a little longer to prepare them but on the plus side a knife is a lot easier to clean afterwards than a chipper.

As for being healthier, I've no evidence but common sense dictates that potato+seasonings is likely to be a healthier option than potato+seasonings+preservatives.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This sharp knife you speak of must surely be wizardry :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As for being healthier, I've no evidence but common sense dictates that potato+seasonings is likely to be a healthier option than potato+seasonings+preservatives.
    A nasty case of empirical reasoning, I'd say.

I would recommend a day following Trump tweets to remedy this logical stance :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Scritti
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Give the new Lidl Steak chips a try. Coated chips but thier size is about 1/4 inch in height, twice that in width and any length up to 4 inches long. As they are less chunky they cook better.

But the good thing is these chips only cost 99p for 1.5kg.

Been tucking in to a bag of these and I have to say that, having tried Lidl's other oven chips as well as ones from Aldi and most of the big brands, these are probably the best I've ever had. Generally prefer Aldi but there are a handful of things I'll go especially to Lidl for and these yummy chips will be added to that list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure