Cost
    £13.50 month line rental £162
    £0 broadband (already in area!) £0
    +misc connection fees etc
    total £162+
    Profit
    Year 1 profit for Orange £162+

Of course this is a simplification.
    Orange's costs for the Bright Box, security & vouchers will be less than they quote us, and they will have to pay BT a cost towards the line.

However, what is true is that a new customer gets a much better deal than us as existing customers even with their 'offers' of compensation.
    Although I quote Year 1 profit, many people would look to move towards the best offer at the end of the year and potentially get something similar from another provider.

Orange/EveryoneElsewhere will have to come up with better offers.
  • I understand from information received today from a senior industry source that Orange have reviewed their position and are now willing to allow any affected customer who contacts them and claims that they renewed their mobile service on the basis of being led to believe that they would retain the free broadband for the duration of the mobile contract, to continue to keep the free broadband until the end of the mobile contract period.

These customers will, however, be advised by Orange that the free broadband will no longer continue once the current contractual period comes to an end.

Anybody else heard anything?
  • Could you be more specific? Was is a phone call (from where/whom?), an article in a newspaper or something else?
  • Could you be more specific? Was is a phone call (from where/whom?), an article in a newspaper or something else?

No, sorry. - I have to protect my source but I would be VERY surprised if it is not 100% accurate.
  • moon777
    moon777 Posts: 178 Forumite
    I understand from information received today from a senior industry source that Orange have reviewed their position and are now willing to allow any affected customer who contacts them and claims that they renewed their mobile service on the basis of being led to believe that they would retain the free broadband for the duration of the mobile contract, to continue to keep the free broadband until the end of the mobile contract period.

These customers will, however, be advised by Orange that the free broadband will no longer continue once the current contractual period comes to an end.

Anybody else heard anything?

If true: No not heard - but as they miss sold upgrades and some via 3rd parties then they could not continue to get away with it, probably decided with ofcom this is the fair outcome for those who asked at upgrade or were told free BB for length of upgrade contract.

If this is true - then if you have moved your BB or move it quickly owing to the letter stating it will be removed - then they would have to release you penalty free from your mobile contract - would they not!

And if it’s true there could be a sense of outrage by those in the last 6 weeks who have moved their line rental to them or elsewhere - an even more chaotic situation!
  • fitz2012 wrote: »
    If it is true that Orange has changed it's position to allow free broadband until the end of the contract, then firstly, this will be too late for some and secondly, welcomed by those patient enough to have waited before making any changes.

You could argue Orange should be liable for customers, who have either already switched line rental to them (as I have) or chose to move elsewhere, to be responsible for the costs for customers who want to go back to their original position!

What a mess. I doubt Orange staff are willingly offering to customers to remain as you are, on free broadband!

Anyone bothered to ring Exec Office, Broadband team to verify if true ? Previously another industry source, namely BT tried to tell me that they had received a statement from Ofcom to advise Orange customers they could leave penalty free from Orange. Again not verified! (although Ofcom could have meant penalty free from our free broadband contracts!)

I agree - this is a complete mess and if my source is right and Orange have moved the goalposts then it is now too late for me and many others. (Incidentally, my source was not one of the other telecom providers or Orange - hence my ? if anyone else had heard anything).
  • Eva49
    Eva49 Posts: 554 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2012 at 4:01PM
    Not heard anything either.........But.......if they do they are opening a can of worms!
  • nobby1963
    nobby1963 Posts: 351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    My 8 weeks was up yesterday, I had sent a `pre court action` letter & emails to Orange last Thurs & Fri, so I contacted CISAS, did online complaint form on grounds of mis-selling.

All this action / pressure you would like to think would have some effect ...but then again who knows ?

All in all it has been a major PR c!!k up by Orange and they have lost a great deal of customer loyalty over the whole thing, it could have all been handled so,so much better.

I have heard nothing but who would tell me ? Orange ? we customers will be the last to know ! Probably find out on Watchdog !

Nobby.
    SMA 4000TL Inverter, 17 REC 235PE Panels, South facing, roof angle \ `ish, 3995 watt system.Installed Nov 2011.
  • nobby1963
    Forumite
    Just checked my email ;

Dear Mr me,

Thank you for your recent email. I have within the last 24 hours, received a new update from the Broadband team.

The team are now able to honour your existing free Broadband plan, to the end of your mobile agreement - 28 January 2014. At this point the deal will expire in full and you will be free to seek alternative options moving forward. Also due to the inconvenience that has been caused and the length of time involved, I personally would like to add a credit for £100.00 to your mobile phone account.

I sincerely apologise that I was unable to offer this before today, unfortunately the option was not available to myself or the Broadband team until now. Please let me know if you would like to accept this offer and I will ensure that the above actions are completed.

Thank you for your ongoing cooperation.

Yours sincerely

Jamie C
    Executive Office
    SMA 4000TL Inverter, 17 REC 235PE Panels, South facing, roof angle \ `ish, 3995 watt system.Installed Nov 2011.
  • nobby1963
    Forumite
    So All - SUCCESS !!!!

Stroll on mobile contract renewal date .....Orange will get some then !

Nobby.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure