New dress has shrunk!

my 16 yr old spent £25 on a lovely dress from New Look last week which she wore to her friends 16th birthday meal. Its a 2-layered affair - underlayer is nylon (bit like a babydoll nightdress!) over-layer is jersey-cotton type material and it has lace trim. really pretty and she only spent so much as she thought it was something she would get lots of use from. anyway, I washed it this morning and was really careful about following the washing instructions anyway, the top layer has shrunk away from the bottom now and it just looks all wrong. She paid cash and she does still have the receipt. Do you think they will give her a refund? I think I would probably not bother trying if it was me, just put it down to bad luck, but I feel bad for her having spent half her monthly allowance on something she cant wear again.

Comments

• phlogeston
    phlogeston Posts: 228 Forumite
    The goods are not fit for purpose. Take the dress back and ask for a refund.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    She'll have a fight on her hands. They'll claim she didn't wash it according to the care label etc. Anything to get out of it!

There was a TV programme about this recently about how it's almost impossible get anything back from clothes shops these days.

And I don't think £25 is a lot for a dress, for me it falls into the 'cheap, very occasional use' category.
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    She'll have a fight on her hands. They'll claim she didn't wash it according to the care label etc. Anything to get out of it!

There was a TV programme about this recently about how it's almost impossible get anything back from clothes shops these days.

And I don't think £25 is a lot for a dress, for me it falls into the 'cheap, very occasional use' category.

For a 16 year old, £25 is a lot for a dress. And no matter how cheap you think it was, you'd expect it to last more than one wash!

OP, just take the dress and the receipt into New Look and tell them what happened. Contrary to the above post, most clothing shops are perfectly willing to accept returns if you have the receipt. As your daughter paid in cash, she doesn't even need to go in herself, you can do it for her.

Why not try an exchange and get another dress? The shrinkage may just be a one off and then your daughter will still have a lovely dress.
  • xxlaurissaxx
    xxlaurissaxx Posts: 2,253 Forumite
    I had the exact same happen on a dress that cost £60. I have just put it down to bad experience as the shop doesnt do refunds anyway. Really unhappy as it is such an unusual dress and really pretty.
    If you dont ask you dont get. There is no harm in trying to take it back or ask for another one. xx
    0/2013
    :beer:
  • madammim_2
    madammim_2 Posts: 119 Forumite

I agree, £25 is not that much if it was for me, but its a lot for a school child to spend. I think I will give it a go, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
  • phlogeston
    phlogeston Posts: 228 Forumite
    I had the exact same happen on a dress that cost £60. I have just put it down to bad experience as the shop doesnt do refunds anyway. Really unhappy as it is such an unusual dress and really pretty.
    If you dont ask you dont get. There is no harm in trying to take it back or ask for another one. xx

All shops have to 'do refunds' - it is the law. However, some can be more difficult to convince than others.

1) Ask at the shop
    2) Speak to a manager
    3) Write to head office
    4) Small Claims Court

It doesn't take much effort and the experience might serve you well if you need to make a bigger claim in the future.

To earn £60 (net) most people would have to work for at least a day. Surely it is worth spending an hour or two writing a letter and if necessary making an on-line claim?
  • ladylumps45
    ladylumps45 Posts: 617 Forumite
    this happened to me before and i had the receipt and they gave me a full refund after i explained that i had followed all the wash instructions on the garment.
    they said that if i hadnt had the receipt they would have only exchanged,which i thought was fair enough.
    go and try and i think they will refund you as you have the receipt and it was only bought recently.
    good luck.
  • 3plus1
    3plus1 Posts: 821 Forumite
    If your daughter wants to try taking it back herself, go with her. She is entitled to a refund under the Sale of Goods Act, but staff will try to convince her she isn't and having another person present (ie. you!) will help with this. Similarly, if you want to take it back yourself, take another person for moral support!

£25 for a dress isn't a lot of money, but even so, the dress should withstand at least one wash or it isn't fit for purpose.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ive always found New Look to be very reasonable with returns, so Im hopeful she will get a refund.
  • madammim_2
    madammim_2 Posts: 119 Forumite
    thanks to all of you that replied. It gave me the confidence to go into the shop and ask. It was actually no problem at all, I just explained I had carefully followed the washing instructions but showed them how it had shrunk and they gave me a full refund with no arguments at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure