DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• fullofcold
    Options
    So I submitted a CCA request to Cabot for my husband (well he signed it) and he has also given me authority to deal with them. They have written him a letter advising that they don't have the original CCA's but have written to Halifax for them (standard - it is a 16 year old debt). I didn't realise at the time of request that one of the debts was an overdraft, but hey ho.

I have written to Tesco for a copy of the CCA, but have subsequently found it's a CCJ so we might have more difficulty for a full and final settlement on that one, although the CCJ has dropped off his credit report.

I have held off sending to Moorcroft because the debt is with Santander, and our new mortgage offer is with Santander, so until we complete on our purchase (fingers crossed it goes through ok) I'll wait on that one.
    I am a Protection Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Protection Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • usedtobeblue
    Options
    HI- Can I please ask some advise regarding a credit card refund. I am currently on a dmp, my credit card with MBNA has been sent to their recoveries department, but I have just received an email from the car hire company we used in the summer to say they were refunding the amount charged back onto my card (charged in error). Will they be able to refund this amount to my credit card even though it is with recoveries or will be refused? Im just unsure as I can no longer use the card.
    Thanks in advance.
    learning to live again, slowly but determined £30k in debt, but dealing with it and proud
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    HI- Can I please ask some advise regarding a credit card refund. I am currently on a dmp, my credit card with MBNA has been sent to their recoveries department, but I have just received an email from the car hire company we used in the summer to say they were refunding the amount charged back onto my card (charged in error). Will they be able to refund this amount to my credit card even though it is with recoveries or will be refused? Im just unsure as I can no longer use the card.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Only your card provider can answer that for you, ring them and ask ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • TheWickerMan
    Options
    It has previously been suggested on here that, if you have an overdraft with another bank which will become part of DMP, a good idea would be to switch to a Nationwide Flex Basic Account

However, Nationwide web site states that you can not apply for that account if you have another UK account. As I wouldn't be closing my Santander account until after I'm sure a Nationwide account has been set up, I'm not sure how it is possible to open one. Anyone tried recently?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It has previously been suggested on here that, if you have an overdraft with another bank which will become part of DMP, a good idea would be to switch to a Nationwide Flex Basic Account

However, Nationwide web site states that you can not apply for that account if you have another UK account. As I wouldn't be closing my Santander account until after I'm sure a Nationwide account has been set up, I'm not sure how it is possible to open one. Anyone tried recently?

Thanks

I suggest you phone Nationwide. Their customer service is excellent and whenever I had to phone them they were so helpful and obliging.

I can't help over the 'one account' situation and wasn't aware of it myself. I had current accounts with Santander and Lloyds at the time of starting my DMP. I had overdrafts with both banks which were part of the DMP. I opened a FlexBasic account ready to start my DMP but didn't close either of the other accounts. Santander closed it without me doing anything (obviously didn't want me as a customer any more!) but Lloyds just carried on as normal with the account and kept it open. I didn't ask them to, they just did so during the DMP (6 years) I had 2 accounts, the Nationwide FlexBasic which I used for everything and the Lloyds one which I didn't use at all but was still there. It was a full account not a basic one though. Once the overdraft was cleared I used the account occasionally as the branch is much more convenient to get to and was useful for paying in bags of loose change.

To be honest I can't see how it's possible to close your original account until the NW one is up and running and DDs and so on set up.
  • TheWickerMan
    Options
    Thanks for the advice about Nationwide

About 10 days ago I wrote (by mail) to Capital One, advising of the situation. I set a secure message to them at the end of last week to double check if they had received the mail, and they confirmed that they had but didn't give any further information/comment. This was the creditor for whom my next scheduled payment had been due first.

However, they have already charged me a £12 late payment fee (direct debit had been due yesterday) despite my letter asking them to not add on any further fees or interests as per the template. They also today sent me 2 emails and a text informing me of this fact, and reminding me that my payment was now overdue

I appreciate they are not under any obligation to stop fees/interest, but is it unusual for them to ignore my request not to do so? Should I send them another message, re-emphasising my request, or just let it go and not contact them unless I have to? In the grand scheme of my debt, £12 is nothing but if all creditors do this and continue to add on extras, then it will quickly build up

As you can tell, I am still in that nervous 3-6 month initial stage between informing my creditors and starting step change process, whilst I build up an emergency fund. I always knew this would be the stage that stressed me out most!

Many thanks
  • sourcrates
    edited 10 December 2019 at 8:54PM
    Options
    Hi wickerman,

Takes a few months for these things to sort themselves out, it’s normally not until you’ve missed a few payments, that they may stop interest and charges, one missed payment is nothing, things don’t happen that fast, it’s a slow process.

When the creditor finally realises your serious, a complaint should get the charges refunded.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Couger
    Couger Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Thought id say Hi we took the plunge

We have just started a DMP with SC, myself and my partner owe 69k, the wealth of information on here is amazing, I feel so sick that we owe so much, and have got to the point where we are and have ran out of credit, cards were ending promo rates with no means to move debts on, so glad ball is rolling, cancelled all DD with around 14 creditors and paid token payments on a couple so far. I guess now we wait.

Question do i need to contact creditors or will SC doing there bit be enough whats everyones advice ?

Many Thanks
  • Hob6982
    Options
    Hi all, quick update. Started my DMP in Jan, all been going ok so far.

Today I have received two letters from MBNA about my two cards and the arrears on the payments.

The letter reads as though they are unaware of my DMP with SC although I have confirmed this on the phone with them so are these standard letters?

They advise that the next steps are to "end out agreement" - does this mean they would default the cards?

Thanks in advance!
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Hob6982 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick update. Started my DMP in Jan, all been going ok so far.

Today I have received two letters from MBNA about my two cards and the arrears on the payments.

The letter reads as though they are unaware of my DMP with SC although I have confirmed this on the phone with them so are these standard letters?

They advise that the next steps are to "end out agreement" - does this mean they would default the cards?

Thanks in advance!
    Standard computer generated letters triggered automatically.

Ignore and file in recycle bin.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback