Free Solar Panel Help

I have the funded solar panels installed on my roof and i always need a loft conversion and advised the salesman at the time.
I am now being advised by the company that this against the terms and conditions of the agreement.
I am hoping someone can help with this or point me in the right direction.
Thank you in advance and I hope I have posted in the right place.

Comments

• Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You may need to do some more searching, possibly in other parts of these forums (e.g. the "house buying, selling and renting" board might be where I saw it discussed.) Briefly, a lot of people have had problems selling their houses when they had "rent a roof" solar panels because the agreement stipulated the panels could only be removed and replaced (e.g. for repairs) a certain number of times a year, and the specific number of times was not acceptable for the mortgage lending companies - so their buyer would have problems getting a mortgage.

My understanding is that these sorts of problems always got solved in the end, generally by the house owner renegotiating the terms of the agreement with the company, such that it meets mortgage requirements (e.g. by allowing two removals-and-replacements per year instead of one, or whatever). Apparently this process was often long and drawn out because the company responsible for the rent a roof scheme had no particular incentive to do anything so long as their money from feed in tariffs continued rolling in.

That may also put you in a stronger negotiation position in one sense. If they stop receiving money, for example if you stop providing them with generation meter readings or providing access for them to get readings themselves, or if you turn off the inverter at the isolation breaker, that's their incentive gone. So it is in their interests to come to a sensible resolution before you break your agreement (and cut off your own free electricity) by doing something like that.

If you can find the discussions of people who had the problems with the mortgage situation, there are probably more details there.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • nkhan
    nkhan Posts: 8 Forumite
    My issue is not selling the property or with a mortgage.
    It’s the amount of panel that will go back on after the loft conversion as they saying it will breach the terms of the agreement
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    nkhan wrote: »
    My issue is not selling the property or with a mortgage.
    It’s the amount of panel that will go back on after the loft conversion as they saying it will breach the terms of the agreement
    Well if the equipment they have supplied physically cannot all be re-fitted once you have changed your property, I would say you are wanting to change the agreement you had with them...
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • nkhan
    nkhan Posts: 8 Forumite
    Even though I agreed initially that I will be getting a loft conversion.
    I didn’t get this in writing thought and I have tried to negotiate a way with them and they just refuse to entertain which I find strange.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Not a nice place to be but I guess the owner of the panels has 2 issues. First is the loss of FiT while the panels are removed to allow your building work to be done and second I the loss of FiT in part or even in whole once the panels are re-installed.

I say in whole because I guess there is a risk that under the FiT rules the re-installed array could be classed as a changed installation and therefore lose the FiT. I suggest you read through the FiT rules if and when you get closer to any sort of compromise with the panel owner. That said, some people on here may already know those rules inside out, lol.

My guess is that even if they are willing to entertain a change to the contract you signed, they will be seeking compensation from you for their lost present and future income and depending on whether they receive 50p per generated unit or 10p, the amount could be substantial.

Have you read the detail of the terms and conditions you signed up to? If it's not in them, my view would be that it doesn't exit (legally).

Good luck!
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    nkhan wrote: »
    Even though I agreed initially that I will be getting a loft conversion.
    I didn’t get this in writing thought and I have tried to negotiate a way with them and they just refuse to entertain which I find strange.

I don't find it strange at all. You allowed them to install their panels on your roof, at their expense. They get the FITs for 20 years, and you get free electricity.

Now you want to remove some of their panels. That will cost them money for all of the remaining years.

But you think they are being unreasonable.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure