Supermarket online shopping

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Not everyone can get out to the supermarket- not everyone has a car or live close by to a larger supermarket where things are more affordable than convenience stores, some have disabilities which make supermarket shopping pretty impossible on a good day, some work long hours, have children to mind all day and night or just prefer the time saving having it delivered means.

If you were always going to have to pay for delivery anyway, for the average £5 a week, over a year this would work out to over £200. I'd make even a £79 spend a saving on what that person was already going to spend.

No offence but try not to judge, sometimes things are not always as they seem ;)

Whos judging? I'm entitled to my own opinions.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Whos judging? I'm entitled to my own opinions.

Your opinions seemed pretty judgemental. I wasn't saying you couldn't have opinions, what you want to think is up to you. I was only suggesting that making assumptions and forming a judgement on that isn't always wise as things are not always as they appear on the surface.
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I don't know if they still do this, but Ocado used to do "flash sales" on delivery passes. They would email customers who have shopped with them occasionally offering a really good price per month. Once you're locked in this price rolls over indefinitely.

For example, I got an Anytime Smart Pass for £1.99 a month over two years ago, and I'm still only paying that amount.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The alternative to a delivery pass, is hoping to get a free/cheap slot, which isn't always possible or by travelling to a store yourself.

If you are paying bus/taxi fares, you can be paying more than delivery in rural areas if your nearest supermarket necessitates a 20 mile or 40 mile round trip.

You pay upfront, but you don't pay for slots. That's how it pays for itself if you use it. If you don't use it, it's pointless having a home delivery pass.

With both Ocado and ASDA anytime passes you can get one delivery every day. If you see a good deal on Ocado, they let you buy up to 20 of each promotional item per customer. There's nothing to stop you clubbing together with friends and family and ordering say 20 boxes of laundry powder, between you.

If you have noisy small children or you are older and don't want to go out in the cold/heat then home delivery is of benefit. Also, if you aren't Mr/Mrs Muscle, you don't have to heft laundry powder and slabs of beer home on the bus.

I had a soupmaker from Amazon today, (thinking ahead to the autumn) and an Ocado order. I prioritise offers and saved £15. Instead of two mile round trip walk in heat, laden down on return leg, the shopping was delivered and in the fridge and freezer in under 10 mins. I didn't have to pay any fares to the retail park to try to find a soupmaker, either.
  • A driver once told me to order over the set amount when delivered hand some or one thing back to the driver he takes it off it then goes back to your account in 3 or 4 days.

I have not done this but it seems like it would work and if you dont need the money and can wait it may be a way of trying the service out first
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure