PS4 making a loud noise. Is it dangerous and can it be fixed?

Hi everyone, I've just joined the forum because I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. My ps4 is making a loud noise after it has been on for a few minutes. I can't really afford to take it to the repair shop. Does anyone know how to stop it from making noise?
It feels warm, but not hot. Is it normal for it to feel warm? Or is this a sign of overheating? And if so, how damaging is overheating?
Zane

Comments

• dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    It should feel warm as that means its pulling the heat away, as for the noise it may be the hard drive or a fan, if its the fan just buy some compressed air from pound shops and luse it on the fan. Obviously make sure its unplugged from wall and tv when you do this.
  • Ah thanks, that's a relief to know that it is supposed to be warm. I wasn't sure if it has always felt warm.
    It is quiet for the first 5 to 10 minutes and then there is a really loud whirling noise. Do you think it might be dust that has gotten inside it and forcing the fan to work harder? Do you think I should open it up to clean it?
    Zane
  • ours makes that noise - sounds like it's going to take off.

It probably needs a clean, but ours have been like it for nearly a year with no bother.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 December 2019 at 3:40PM
    Ah thanks, that's a relief to know that it is supposed to be warm. I wasn't sure if it has always felt warm.
    It is quiet for the first 5 to 10 minutes and then there is a really loud whirling noise. Do you think it might be dust that has gotten inside it and forcing the fan to work harder? Do you think I should open it up to clean it?

How old is it ?

Once you open it the warranty if any will be void.

If its out of warranty then yes open it up but do so at your risk. You may need a torx screwdriver to do so, watch a few youtube vids before you commence it.

To open it up you
  • It's quite a few years old, so definitely not under warranty. I also have an xbox, but unfortunately its not compatible at connecting with my friends in certain games. So I really need to sort out my PS4. It turned itself off last night, its never done that before. I think it was because it got too hot, so I'm going to open it up to clean inside it. I'm not sure which size security torx driver I need. Does anyone know how I can find out? I don't want to round the screw by using the wrong size.
    Zane
  • How much room is around the ps4? Have you tried using a hoover with an attachment to clean the unit outside and around its vents?
    I reduce dust on mine by putting a cloth meterial when not in use.
  • I tried to use the vac with an attachment and it is still really loud, to the point where I have to wear the headset most of the time. I'm not sure if it is dust that has caused it because its quite old.

I've found a repair guide on the iFixit website, it looks like cleaning the inside should work, and if not, I can just replace the fan. The instructions look fairly simple, but I'm not sure which toolkit they use in their video. I only really need the 'TR9 Torx Security Screwdriver' and the 'Philips #1 screwdriver', but I'm thinking of buying their protech tool kit so I can replace my iPhone screen too. Has anyone got any experience of these repair toolkits? The professionals make it look so fast and easy in the video.
    Zane
  • Lol I wouldn’t mess with the iPhone screen unless you really know what you are doing. You can hire a “Mobile iphone tech” to come out to your house for £50. If you mess the ribbon up, you might as well chuck the phone in the bin.
  • For example: https://wefix.co.uk/
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's quite a few years old, so definitely not under warranty. I also have an xbox, but unfortunately its not compatible at connecting with my friends in certain games. So I really need to sort out my PS4. It turned itself off last night, its never done that before. I think it was because it got too hot, so I'm going to open it up to clean inside it. I'm not sure which size security torx driver I need. Does anyone know how I can find out? I don't want to round the screw by using the wrong size.

Just use Google.

Apparently it uses T9 but a T8 should work.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback