TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• JimArnold
    JimArnold Posts: 519 Forumite
    I suspect that the answer is to buy a new license rather than renew an existing one
    TANSTAAFL !
  • MADCAT19
    MADCAT19 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Never had a TV before. I "inherited" one from a friend, who left the country. My flatmate, her TV & license moved out and now I'm left w/ the busted telly (has a stuck tape in it - the 6th sense, do you think it's trying to tell me something?) and a Virgin box that hasn't worked for 2 months. Just got a threatening letter from TVL and I really don't want to pay. To make things more complicated, even if I was gonna pay, I'm moving out in August and hopefully moving in somewhere where there is a license already. That's 4 months' worth of license away and they will only refund 3 months (for students, I read, which I'm not...). What is this thing about not being able to cancel a license? Once a license, always a license? What shall I do? I'm tempted to never open the door. I never do anyway unless I'm expecting visitors...
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    MADCAT19 wrote: »
    Never had a TV before. I "inherited" one from a friend, who left the country. My flatmate, her TV & license moved out and now I'm left w/ the busted telly (has a stuck tape in it - the 6th sense, do you think it's trying to tell me something?) and a Virgin box that hasn't worked for 2 months. Just got a threatening letter from TVL and I really don't want to pay. To make things more complicated, even if I was gonna pay, I'm moving out in August and hopefully moving in somewhere where there is a license already. That's 4 months' worth of license away and they will only refund 3 months (for students, I read, which I'm not...). What is this thing about not being able to cancel a license? Once a license, always a license? What shall I do? I'm tempted to never open the door. I never do anyway unless I'm expecting visitors...
    you don't need a license if you're not using the telly, so either write & tell them that or just ignore the letters

even if they do turn up on your doorstep & you should happen to open the door to them, they've no right of entry
  • MADCAT19
    The problem is that my current flatmate would like the Virgin box to work so that means we will be using it at some point...
  • I found this site just yesterday

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/

Very interesting reading - I learned that TVL are in fact the BBC!! They are not a contracted out agency, they ARE the BBC! And that their sophisticated "detector vans" are empty :rotfl:

I am completely against the TV licence, it made sense once upon a time when you could only watch the BBC or even when 50% of channels on the box were BBC1 and BBC2. The concept of a TV licence is completely outdated.

Imagine having to pay your local car dealer EVERY YEAR for driving a car that they do not sell.

No sense whatsoever!!
  • MADCAT19
    Seriously, have you read on their website about the detector vans/technology? It's laughable!
    "
    How do the detector vans work?

spacer.gifspacer.gifgrey.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif Our vans feature a range of detection tools. Some aspects of the equipment have been developed in such secrecy that engineers working on specific detection methods work in isolation, so not even they know how the other detection methods work. This gives us the best chance of catching licence evaders."

That website is interesting reading, indeed!

I'm NOT getting a TV License!
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    i have not had a tv license for the past18 years and will not do so

although i have a tv and watch it very rarely i never watch bbc - why because there is never any intresting programes which are produced only alot of boring news programmes and sports-

people complain about the advertising that is on the other channels but if i compare channel 4 to the bbc it has more diveerse and factual programmes than the bbc

for example they deal with medical marvels and operatioons and other stuff. not to forget to mention that they have miles better films on channel 4 and although film 4 do repeat their films they have films at least whereaas bbc has crap none

my advice is dont get a tv licence - save yourself the money and if the tv license people call just shut the door in their face - you can do that its your own front door !!!!!!!
  • MADCAT19
    I WILL! I'm psyched up now...
  • If more people stopped buying they'd abolish it.

The BBC are not a government service so why should they get special treatment and take £130 odd pounds from us each year whether we earn or not.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Very interesting reading - I learned that TVL are in fact the BBC!! They are not a contracted out agency, they ARE the BBC! And that their sophisticated "detector vans" are empty :rotfl:

TVL are not the BBC, they hived it off to a Company called Capita some years back:

http://www.capita.co.uk/about-us/Pages/BBCTVLicensing.aspx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure