PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheap Country House

Hey guys,

I've got a 3 bed terrace in London valued at 200k. I'm planning on selling it off and buying a nice country house not too far from London (50-200 Miles away).

What concerns me is that i'm tight on my budget. I maybe able to ducth in another 50k for the new house.

I wanted to know how I can start the search for such a house? I've checked lot of websites but they all have those standard size drawing room, beds & kitchens. I'm actually looking for a 3-4 all doube beds with a mega drawing room & kitchen and loads of garden space. Looking for a plot of atleast 1000 sq. mts.

Are such kind of houses still available anywhere in England and Wales? And if so, where is the best place to get hold of them?

I would also like to know what is the county with the least house prices just in case i find a few houses i like.

Thnx
Terry
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction!

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I think you will be lucky to get all that for £200 to £250K now, I live in Lancashire about 20 miles from Manchester and house prices have gone through the roof (no pun intended). The kind of house you are describing goes for in the region of £500 to £600k and a standard 4 bed detached where 1 bed isn't really big enough for a bed is around £225 to £300K.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • tshrbhag
    tshrbhag Posts: 91 Forumite
    Aren't the prices in the country side similar to my budget?

Also, could you pls tell me which region would be carrying the cheapest prices in England?

Thnx
    Terry
    Every action has an equal and opposite reaction!
  • tshrbhag,

When you say "country" house what exactly do you mean? Do you mean miles from anywhere or do you mean a village or small market town? You could get what you're looking for in Suffolk, Norfolk or Lincolnshire possibly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure