Olympics advertising

Comments

• bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    persa wrote: »
    Benefit?
    As far as I'm concerned, the Olympics is a giant waste of money that's going to cause a horrendous amount of disruption to Londoners. We're not going to benefit from it the most, we're going to badly impacted by it the most.

It's also worth noting we pay an extra chunk on our council tax towards it (10 years worth, to be specific), we get no free tickets for that either.

I've got to work out how to get my staff to accept overtime as none of our suppliers will deliver in Central London during those weeks, and we can't stockpile four weeks of stuff. Staff who are being told we can't use tubes, or certain trains, or London Bridge Station etc so their travel is compromised anyway, being asked to stay late.

I was contacted by the Olympic strategic lot to see how we were preparing for it and they recommended we change our working hours. Our firm is full of lawyers, and it seems that the OSA can't understand why we have to work around the court services.

The Olympic sponsorship con has resulted in the most iconic of London transportation - the balck cab - being banned from the venues in favour of a private hire company called Addison Lee. The same firm that doesn't provide wheelchair accessible vehicles, drivers who have done the 'Knowledge' or have full ECRB checks, isn't hail-able (bookings only) but wants the right to drive in bus lanes.

The event should have been shared more substantially with the rest of the country. It could have regenerated a more realistic number of areas or provided employment for a wider range of skilled workers across the nation. It's a bloody annoyance in such a small region and seems to be more driven by corporate greed than by love of sporting excellence.

Once in a lifetime experience? I damn well hope so.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tinkle wrote: »
    Anybody else getting p*ssed off with the ever increasing number of adverts on TV, related to/advertising olympics....

The adverts don't bother me at all but I'm really looking forwad to the event itself, just wish I'd been able to get some tickets for it.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    The Olympic sponsorship con has resulted in the most iconic of London transportation - the balck cab - being banned from the venues in favour of a private hire company called Addison Lee. The same firm that doesn't provide wheelchair accessible vehicles, drivers who have done the 'Knowledge' or have full ECRB checks, isn't hail-able (bookings only) but wants the right to drive in bus lanes.

LOL (but not in a good way). I wonder if the Tory party put a good word in for them with LOCOG? After all, they did bung Smug Dave a quarter of a million quid. Money talks :D
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    It's also worth noting we pay an extra chunk on our council tax towards it (10 years worth, to be specific), we get no free tickets for that either.

I've got to work out how to get my staff to accept overtime as none of our suppliers will deliver in Central London during those weeks, and we can't stockpile four weeks of stuff. Staff who are being told we can't use tubes, or certain trains, or London Bridge Station etc so their travel is compromised anyway, being asked to stay late.

I was contacted by the Olympic strategic lot to see how we were preparing for it and they recommended we change our working hours. Our firm is full of lawyers, and it seems that the OSA can't understand why we have to work around the court services.

The event should have been shared more substantially with the rest of the country. It could have regenerated a more realistic number of areas or provided employment for a wider range of skilled workers across the nation. It's a bloody annoyance in such a small region and seems to be more driven by corporate greed than by love of sporting excellence.

Not being a Londoner, I can't really empathise but I can completely sympathise with your stance. This isn't the first criticism I've read of the impact the Olympics will have on London and Londoner's lives.

TBH, I can't help but think it's the fault of the organising committee and not the 'Olympics' per se. I think it's a real shame, actually. Events like these are iconic and it's frustrating to feel that unchecked hubris and incompetence on the part of LOCOG has spoilt it for so many people.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Kildare
    Kildare Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    persa wrote: »
    Benefit?

Like many Londoners, I pay for my travel upfront using a travelcard, as the PAYG cost of getting the tube every weekday is far too expensive when you're a regular commuter.

TfL's glorious plan for dealing with the increased travelling during the Olympics is to tell people like me not to use the tube. By the time the Olympics comes, I will have paid for unlimited travel in central London, yet I will be told not to use this service for which I have paid. I cannot tell you how much this infuriates me - if TfL want me to avoid using the tube during the Olympics, they should issue me with a prorated refund for the duration.

The other main alternative being suggested by TfL is to take annual leave. I don't want to go away during the summer and certainly not for weeks at the time. It's better for me personally and the business professionally if I take off smaller chunks of time spread over the whole year. My holidays are between me and my employer - they're nothing to do with TfL.

Cycling has also been proposed - apart from the fact that I have no sense of balance, that my workplace has no shower facilities and I live too far away from my workplace to make cycling feasible, I would never recommend cycling in London to anyone. The streets are so crowded that it's far too dangerous. I know of people who have been knocked off and killed through no fault of their own - you couldn't pay me to cycle in London and in fact, TfL aren't offering to pay me, they're offering to take money away from me for no service in exchange.

If I dare to flout TfL advice and try travelling to work, not only do I have the tourists to contend with, but chances are the tube staff will go on strike. The Unions have threatened it and are not showing any signs of backing down. They may not be striking directly due to the Olympics, but they wouldn't be timing their threats in this way if the Olympics weren't taking place.

As far as I'm concerned, the Olympics is a giant waste of money that's going to cause a horrendous amount of disruption to Londoners. We're not going to benefit from it the most, we're going to badly impacted by it the most.

Rant over! (Not directed at you, deanos, promise, but the Olympics does wind me up something rotten.)

Totally agree - I'm not a Londoner but I work in Central London and the suggestions from TFL are ridiculous. They are expecting major delays on key tube lines that my team use to commute and the two stations closest to our building are expected to be amongst the busiest. The best suggestion so far is that staff should adjust their working hours to avoid the busiest periods - the busiest period are expected to be 8am-11am and 4pm-8pm, so how does that work then?? I was thinking of only working 12-3 :rotfl:

I do support our country hosting big events like this BUT London is not built for events such as this. The travel infrastructure alone is not up to it!
  • Ste_C
    Ste_C Posts: 676 Forumite
    But it's the Olympics, we're all supposed to be dead excited. Lord Coe and the Government said so.
  • I hate sport. I am dreading the Olympics. I'm already bored with it. Is there going to be any respite for those of us who couldn't care less if person A can run faster than person b, or can chuck a spear further or jump a bit higher?

Radio 5 Live will be unbearable.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    what i meant by only London will benefit is that wasteland has been built on and new buildings etc will be left behind for people to use
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    LOL (but not in a good way). I wonder if the Tory party put a good word in for them with LOCOG? After all, they did bung Smug Dave a quarter of a million quid. Money talks :D

That was a refund of an over charged fair, the driver did not know how to use the sat nav and took Dave the very long route
  • The event should have been shared more substantially with the rest of the country. It could have regenerated a more realistic number of areas or provided employment for a wider range of skilled workers across the nation. It's a bloody annoyance in such a small region and seems to be more driven by corporate greed than by love of sporting excellence.

But the Olympics is NOT a countrywide event. It is a city event - just about always has been from what I can remember anyway. but it just so happens that London cannot fit it all in so some is being shared out.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure