Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 20th Mar 05, 7:48 PM
    • 1,763Posts
    • 786Thanks
    isasmurf
    Council Tax Band database
    • 20th Mar 05, 7:48 PM
    Council Tax Band database 20th Mar 05 at 7:48 PM
    This might have been posted before. Apologies if it has but I couldn't find it.

I've just found a database that lists every property's (in England and Wales) Council Tax band. You can search for a specific property, every property in a street or every property in a town! It will also detail if the property will be revalued on a change of ownership due to improvements the previous owner made. Useful research tool if you're moving house.

http://www.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0
Page 2
    • Milky_Mocha
    • By Milky_Mocha 23rd Mar 05, 1:09 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Milky_Mocha
    I too unfortunately come under SDC and my Council Tax for a 3 bed end of terrace on a 'newish' estate in Hawkinge (just on outskirts of Folkestone) is 111-00 per month (Band 'C') .thats an increase of 42.95 on last year.

So does anyone know how much a dustman earns on SDC? Because if I have to pay 111-00 per month to have my bins emptied once a week,then they must be earning in the Super Tax bracket! The rest of the nonsense on the bottom of the Council Tax statement is just rubbish.Kent Police Authority,apparently if you need to contact them after 'office hours' you may end up being put through to Hastings! (only 40 miles or so away) ,I must admit luckily I have had no reason to contact them but if is the case.....well.

And crime doesn't pay?

Has anybody recently visited Folkestone? If so your comments would be most welcome.

Parts of it (especially the poor-end) look like lower Beirut!

The Channel Tunnel was supposed to bring 'big' things for this town but instead all our neighbouring towns (Canterbury&Ashford) have bloomed and Folkestone with all its Beaurocratic Bungling has been left behind.

The Town Centre is one giant car park with years of a promised shopping mall now a distant dream.

Go Folkestone Go HAHAHAHA.
    by Roman_Camel

Wow, I too live in Hawkinge on the new bit. We must be neighbours. I am not surprised a lot of complaints are about this council. Its ridiculous. We have moaned about it for ages but just did not know what to do. Maybe we should form some kind of alliance against this. It's so wrong. What we pay in council tax on this property is more than what is paid on our 4 bedroom house in London! Anyone who knows Folkestone would agree with me that this is an injustice. I have often wondered what exactly all this money is going towards. The city in general has a lot of potential but has been stagnant for so long.

Sigh
    • Milky_Mocha
    • By Milky_Mocha 23rd Mar 05, 1:11 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Milky_Mocha
    Wow, I too live in Hawkinge on the new bit. We must be neighbours. I am not surprised a lot of complaints are about this council. Its ridiculous. We have moaned about it for ages but just did not know what to do. Maybe we should form some kind of alliance against this. It's so wrong. What we pay in council tax on this property is more than what is paid on our 4 bedroom house in London! Anyone who knows Folkestone would agree with me that this is an injustice. I have often wondered what exactly all this money is going towards. The city in general has a lot of potential but has been stagnant for so long.

Sigh
    by Milky_Mocha
    Just to add, when we first moved in the council tried to make us pay for a bin. It wasn't cheap either - someone correct me but I think they asked for 130 odd. This is in addition to council tax by the way, not deductible from it.

We absolutely refused and were prepared to fight with them long and hard.

Okay that's my rant over - for now.
  • TimC
    nearlyrich

Sounds like you were lucky. What happens at the appeal is they have to produce properties of comparable size, and prove that they were sold at a value in the relevant band back in 1991. The Valuation Office produced 3 properties at my appeal, one of which was withdrawn when I pointed out how different it was to mine. Of the remaining two;

a) one was in a part of town that was and is the most desired location and carries a price premium (but given the tribunal's 50 miles away, they'd hardly know that!), and
    b) the other was one that had patently been bought by an absolute mug back in 1991. I know that, because I'd been around it when I was buying my place in 2002 - it was ok but not for me. In the 11 intervening years (recalling 1991 was near a trough in house prices), it had increased in value only by 40%....in other words it had exchanged hands at a well-inflated price back then. The only conclusion I can draw on that is that if you accept an incorrect banding, you don't just condemn yourself, but also anyone else who appeals nearby in the future as you'll be considered a precedent.

Unfortunately, regardless of the above and the fact that 100+ similar properties on my estate have a lower banding, the tribunal still found against - hence my conclusion that it was a waste of time filling out the paperwork. Incidentally, there's no right of appeal. Galling though, given it means I pay 350/yr more council tax than my immediate neighbours as a result.
    by bunking_off
    You do seem to have been unlucky - when we bought our newly built house in '97 it was put in Band F - a quick trip to the local council, armed with the estate agents map revealed that all the previous identical houses had been banded E - except for the batch of four that ours is in.

A letter detailing this went to the Valuation Office - who responded very quickly that our appeal was "well founded" and our band was reduced to E - zero stress! Gave copies of the letter to the neighbours too.
    • Norma Desmond
    • By Norma Desmond 23rd Mar 05, 2:16 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    Norma Desmond
    Sorry folks, but this will make you spit - 4 bed, 200 year old stone cottage on north Pembs. coast......568 (band B) - an increase of 8 on last year!
  • driller_killer
    I think what many people miss is that its not the amount you pay, but the band that you're in. Shouldn't an identical house be in the same band, no matter where it is in the country? After all, its likely to have similar occupancy, who'll make similar demands, so shouldn't they be in a similar band? Forget the c*** about rich people pay more - thats what income tax and national insurance is for, or are we to have a campaign against VAT next, surely the most regressive of all taxation.

We live in Wales where there's just been a re-banding exercise designed to reflect current house prices. It was 'sold' to us that things would be averaged out, ie, a similar number of people would move down a band as move up one. It didn't work out that way and a massive majority have been moved up. Quite obviously it was a tax raising scam. We've gone from D to E. For the record, its a 1930's 3 bed semi.

England - you'll get yours post-election!
    Val
    • OWT_FOR_NOWT
    • By OWT_FOR_NOWT 23rd Mar 05, 9:31 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    OWT_FOR_NOWT
    Would be a good site, if it were up to date. I have checked 3 properies in the swansea area and all 3 give the old banding. If I were going to move home then I would not use this site to check the council tax band.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 23rd Mar 05, 10:20 PM
    • 4,457 Posts
    • 2,964 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    Would be a good site, if it were up to date. I have checked 3 properies in the swansea area and all 3 give the old banding. If I were going to move home then I would not use this site to check the council tax band.
    by OWT_FOR_NOWT
    What do you mean by the 'old banding'?
    Any opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
  • oxter
    Is there an equivalent site for Scotland?
    • kingbing
    • By kingbing 24th Mar 05, 11:29 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    kingbing
    The biggest cause of the council tax increases is the Police...look at the % increases they have had over the past 5 or 6 years and what have we got for it?
    by dougk
    Err... record police numbers - 15,000 more than there were 4 years ago?

Council tax has gone up a fair amount in most places, and in many cases it is to pay for the substantial numbers of extra police - police that people say they want (but don;t appear to want to pay for).

Council tax increases are not in direct relationship with central government funding to local authorities. In fact, every single local authority got an above-inflation increase in funding from central government this year. If one looks closely at the funding figures, local authorities have had a one third increase in funding, in real terms, in the last 8 years. Some of that additional funding has gone on things such as the police.

I suggest people look at their local authority accounts on their website to see how much money they have received from central government.
  • shrek101
    I can see where you are coming from bridiej. However, there are services which are often essential, and we would start to complain if for some reason were couldn't get them because of cuts.

In my own area most of the money council tax is given to our Local Authority the local council get very little of it.

I don't use many of these services myself, although I recognize that I may one day need them, I don't resent other people who may need them.

What I do resent in the amount we pay compared with inflation and or there are many people earning good wages far more than the pittance I get that don't pay a penny. Is it really fair that people on a fixed income and or low income now pay far money in Council tax than income tax?

Less than two years ago my Police Authority bought Land rover discoveries some with leather seats. They claim these are essential for the operation of an efficient service. It later transpired that some of the vehicles did very low mileage per week. If they were for operation purposes, why the need for luxury fittings? They were even critized only a month ago by the audit commission for banking most of the money from the 80% increase in budget.

Also don't believe all that hype last year that the North got a substantial grants compared with the south, its utter bull, every year for 10 years now, I have had to pay well above inflation busting increase, and you guessed it I live up North. Also the hype about pensioners suffering, yes many are, and that is wrong, but also there are many other people on low incomes, fixed incomes that are suffering just as much.

Both the Tories and Labour want to bribe pensioners because at present they represent a large vote, they also shouting the loudest. It's only now the politians are listening, frightened of losing there jobs perhaps?

I realise that the money goes for other services but when the only service you get yourself is your bins emptied it's a bit much really!

sorry Shrek - I think I clicked on the "Edit" button instead of "Quote" so it added my comments to your post!!! Changed in back now......
    by bridiej
    Last edited by shrek101; 24-03-2005 at 12:31 PM.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 24th Mar 05, 12:54 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    Err... record police numbers - 15,000 more than there were 4 years ago?
    So where are they all when my neighbour needed them on a Thursday, the response was "we can send someone to see you next Tuesday" great service?

4 years ago we had 3 full time police stations and a couple of part time (Ie manned on the hour for 15 mins between patrols) in the local area which consistes of 3 large towns and several rural villages. Now we have a part time police station which is manned 9 to 5 Mon to Fri and the rest of our policing including all calls taken in the next major town 10 miles away, which easily gets cut off in snow etc.

Better service? I think not, the operators don't know the area at all, I honestly can't remember when I saw a patrol car and the community beat officer doesn't answer his mobile or return calls.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • shrek101
    Very good point I am so glad you raised this.

I see many Police around as I live close by to the station, however when you actually want one, where the hell are they?

2 years ago I foiled a burglary at a local council nursery behind me, 160,000 vehicle was about to be stolen. I rang the Police, then ran out with my large torch and managed to get 2 neigbours who happen to be in the street at the time. The police showed up 25 minutes later, of course the burglars weren't around to wait for them.

When I ring the Police I am put through to a call centre some 60 odd miles away, of course they havent got local knowledge.

So where are they all when my neighbour needed them on a Thursday, the response was "we can send someone to see you next Tuesday" great service?

4 years ago we had 3 full time police stations and a couple of part time (Ie manned on the hour for 15 mins between patrols) in the local area which consistes of 3 large towns and several rural villages. Now we have a part time police station which is manned 9 to 5 Mon to Fri and the rest of our policing including all calls taken in the next major town 10 miles away, which easily gets cut off in snow etc.

Better service? I think not, the operators don't know the area at all, I honestly can't remember when I saw a patrol car and the community beat officer doesn't answer his mobile or return calls.
    by nearlyrich
    • ducky2004
    • By ducky2004 24th Mar 05, 6:58 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    ducky2004
    and if one go on benefit, there there is free council house, council tax exempt and 7 days a week holiday... I knew of a friend where the council pays 1k per month for a family on benefit to live in her house which was rented out..
  • chris.cunningham
    just visted this site and my property is currantly in band B, 860.00 per annum.This being the valuation of the property in 1991 now i find that when my property is revalued this band will shoot up to band F ive no idea how much this will cost me.

so lets all do the right thing and stand up and be counted at the next ELECTION????
    and use your VOTE
  • Bruiserfield
    What I find really annoying about council tax is that the income I use to pay it has already been taxed on IE Income tax, it would be be better if we could pay council tax before deductions rather than afterwards, paying further tax from taxed income makes my blood boil!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,944Posts Today

9,037Users online

Martin's Twitter