Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Chick
    Voting registration in rented property?
    • 8th Mar 05, 8:57 AM
    Voting registration in rented property? 8th Mar 05 at 8:57 AM
    Not sure if this is the right thread to post on but nevermind.

I live in a rented property at present, rent is paid in cash each month (at landlord's request, no receipts- though I am paying below the market rate), plus I am in the situation of having no written contract.

I would like to register to vote with the local council, I am currently registered with my parents but in another part of the countrty- I am staying here for good with permanent employment, therefore want to get registered.

However I have a funny feeling than neither myself or other housemates are 'official' and that the landlord is not declaring his rental income to anyone.

What is my best plan of action- Can I register to vote myself, should I inform the landlord beforehand, what if he refuses?? it's my right to vote!

Thanks for any input
Page 1
    • louise1234
    • By louise1234 8th Mar 05, 1:27 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    louise1234
    • 8th Mar 05, 1:27 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 1:27 PM
    You just need to contact your councils electoral role dept. You can do this, no need to involve your landlord.

If your landlord isn't declaring rent, that is between him + inland revenue. I suppose there is a slight chance if they knew he owned property they could check council tax records to see who was living there.

But he can't stop you registering to vote!
  • dougk
    • 8th Mar 05, 3:13 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 3:13 PM
    The electoral role should not be cross referenced to the council tax department as this is a breach of the data protection act. The council I used to work for was well aware of this. Its also why the records never seem to match!
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 8th Mar 05, 3:25 PM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 22,279 Thanks
    Poppy9
    • 8th Mar 05, 3:25 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 3:25 PM
    Is your landlord fulfilling his duties:

Your landlord/lady will be responsible for maintaining:-
    • Heating and hot water installations e.g. boilers, water tanks etc.
    • Wash basins, sinks, baths and toilets
    • The structure and exterior of your home e.g. drains, gutters, walls, pipes and window frames
    • If you are renting a flat or a maisonette then your landlord/lady will also be responsible for other parts of the building or installations in it, which he owns, or controls, the disrepair of which will affect you.
    • Your landlord/lady is responsible for ensuring that the property does not fall into a state of disrepair i.e. that it does not become damp, structurally unsound, unventilated, or lacking in natural light or basic amenities. If after moving into the property you come across any such defects you must tell your landlord/lady about them. You must also give your landlord/lady access to the property from time to time so that s/he can inspect it to see if any repairs are required.
    • If you have gas appliances in the property your landlord/lady will be responsible for ensuring that a CORGI registered (Council for Registered Gas Installers) tradesman carries out an annual safety check of the appliances. You should ask your landlord/lady to produce written proof that this inspection has been carried out at the start of your tenancy.
    • If your landlord/lady supplies any furniture and furnishings s/he must make sure that they meet the fire resistance regulations set out in the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) Regulations 1988. These regulations will not apply if your landlord/lady is letting the property on a temporary basis whilst working away from home.
    • If your landlord/lady does not carry out any essential repairs or the property does not meet the required safety standards then you should contact the Council's Environmental Health team
    The two most important points are the Gas safety checks and the furniture regs. If he is doing on the cheap he might not be fulfilling these obligations.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
  • mdean
    • 30th Mar 05, 9:33 PM
    • 30th Mar 05, 9:33 PM
    God - this is the legacy of the poll tax !

You are entitled to vote - the register is normally done in October and is valid for a year. So if you moved to the new address since October you can either register at your new address and new constituency, but there will be a cut off date to do it by 5th May, so you need to find out quick, or you can get a postal vote in your parents constitiency

If your politically minded you may wish to choose where your vote will be most use to the party of your choice.

As to the data protection act - I believe the register is a public document so it can be used for a variety of purposes. In the context of this site it is the key document used by credit referencing agencies to verify individuals. So it will help your get credit if you need it. It is not sold as much commercially, but it does go other parts of local authorities, and obviously MI5 and special branch. I suspect few authorities have the person power to do very much with it

Finally whatever your views on politicians - vote even if you spoil the paper see this link to remember why

http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_publications_and_archives/parliamentary_archives/archives___the_suffragettes.cfm
  • chugalug
    • 30th Mar 05, 10:20 PM
    • 30th Mar 05, 10:20 PM
    Do you pay your council tax in with your rent? You must have something in your name if your property is self contained - I cant see your landlord paying your utility bills etc. Anyway, nothing to stop you registering to vote but you could then receive all sorts through the post. As other posters have said this information is in the public domain. If you dont pay your own council tax you could get a letter addressed to 'the occupier' (if the landlord isnt up to date). Just to say that even though you dont have a written contract as such, if you are in self contained accommodation you are likely to have an assured shorthold tenancy by default which gives you rights to stay in the property until your landlord has gone through the correct possession procedures. Only mention this as have experienced many landlords like yours (through work). If hes not declaring this income you could well put him out by registering at the property. He could then tell you to leave etc etc. If this does happen go to CAB and get advice. Just being realistic!!
  • mdean
    • 30th Mar 05, 10:31 PM
    • 30th Mar 05, 10:31 PM
    I thought I remembered there had been a change in the law to avoid your details being sold on

details

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/notes/snpc-01020.pdf

Good summary from a credit point of view here

http://www.callcredit.plc.uk/corporate_scripts/consumfaq_display.asp?sect=Electoral+Roll
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 30th Mar 05, 11:17 PM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 22,279 Thanks
    Poppy9
    • 30th Mar 05, 11:17 PM
    • 30th Mar 05, 11:17 PM
    I think the cut off for the probable May 5th election was beginning of March. Its not too late though to either ask for a postal vote or a proxy vote. This would save you a trip home.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

2,233Users online

Martin's Twitter