Brexit uncertainty regarding travel plans

My passport expires on 31/3/20.

I am going to Germany on 16/10/19 on a single ticket.

My plan is to return in November; a few days after the Brexit deadline of 31/10/19.
I'm fairly confident that I'll be allowed to leave the country (I checked here https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-for-travel-to-europe)

However, I need some assurances that I'll be ok to leave on a single ticket because the website is a little ambiguous. It asks if I'll be travelling after the 31/10/19. As I mention I'll be departing before that date, but returning afterwards.

Does anyone know, I'm not too late to get a new passport, but I'd have to go for the fast service which is about an extra £100.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2019 at 4:19PM

My plan is to return in November; a few days after the Brexit deadline of 31/10/19.
    I'm fairly confident that I'll be allowed to leave the country (I checked here https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-for-travel-to-europe)

However, I need some assurances that I'll be ok to leave on a single ticket because the website is a little ambiguous. It asks if I'll be travelling after the 31/10/19. As I mention I'll be departing before that date, but returning afterwards.

Does anyone know, I'm not too late to get a new passport, but I'd have to go for the fast service which is about an extra £100.

Many thanks in advance.
    Does your passport include any months carried over from the previous passport? If 'no deal ' happens, any time carried over doesn't count towards the 6 months validity required. I have had to renew mine 15 months in advance of the expiry date. It seems that you need to say 'yes' to the question about travelling after Oct 31st.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Many thanks in advance.

When you depart, you will be travelling from one EU country to another. Your passport is valid so you will not face questions: after all, under the present law you have the right to live and work in Germany indefinitely.

For comparison, I entered Poland earlier this week. The official checked my passport carefully but there were no questions, and I did not show any kind of ticket.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    When you depart, you will be travelling from one EU country to another. Your passport is valid so you will not face questions: after all, under the present law you have the right to live and work in Germany indefinitely.

For comparison, I entered Poland earlier this week. The official checked my passport carefully but there were no questions, and I did not show any kind of ticket.

I would agree.

You are leaving the U.K and entering Germany on a date when we are still in the EU - nothing therefore has changed.

I see no problem with your travel schedule.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure