PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It’s never too early for a thrifty, gifty Christmas

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mary Berry has a great cake recipe which my late mum used for years.instead of buying fruit and spices for the cake you add a jar of mincemeat. I make a square cake and cut into little squares marzipan and ice and they sell well at coffee morings bake sales etc.
  • I make about eight mini cakes each year for a group of elderly people that I volunteer with. I just use Delia's Christmas cake recipe and bake it in either Lakeland porkpie tins or some little loose-bottomed sponge tins that were originally sold for children's baking. (Why people assume that children only want to make a small cake is a mystery to me - it's just as much work as making a normal one!). Sorry I can't help with the timings, I know it takes much less than a full size cake but I just bake it until it's done, checking it with a skewer. Sometimes I ice the top, other times I use a fruit and nut mix with a glaze that I put on near the end of baking.

If you're making shortbread, how far ahead do you make it and how long does it keep for, please?
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Gers wrote: »

Ooh thank you, that was EXACTLY what I needed. Many many thanks. (Now who wants to break it to my husband that we have a whole load of mini servings of baked beans to get through so I can do this project?)
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    If looking for something you might consider "seasonal ingredients" , by that I mean something that is easier to find nearer December-time but probably available all year with a bit of hunting at a greater price it might be time to look to see if what you're after has made an early appearance, before the price increases in time for Christmas.

I'm not quite sure what anyone would have in mind for the above, the only thing I can immediately think of is turkey stock cubes/granules as they tend to (around here at least) only appear near Christmas time but you can get them anytime of the year if you search about a bit. I'm slightly influenced by lack of choice though locally. Those with a supermarket or two within range won't be hampered in this way.

Oh no pun in "hamper" ;):D

Although not exactly 'food' , if say you wanted an artificial tree or lights it is best if you can to get them in the summer time (yes really) as they tend to be a bit cheaper ;):D
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Gers wrote: »
    Found this:
    Topher wrote: »
    Ooh thank you, that was EXACTLY what I needed. Many many thanks. (Now who wants to break it to my husband that we have a whole load of mini servings of baked beans to get through so I can do this project?)

I concur they do look really nice! :D
  • Topher
    The cake recipe I have is a "Ruth Mott, economical Christmas cake recipe" which I originally got from a Family Circle Magazine,I still have the original relevant clipping from the magazine.
  • Topher
    AndyCF wrote: »
    If looking for something you might consider "seasonal ingredients" , by that I mean something that is easier to find nearer December-time but probably available all year with a bit of hunting at a greater price it might be time to look to see if what you're after has made an early appearance, before the price increases in time for Christmas.
    ;):D
    Here are some ingredients I bought across the year as part of buying things at non-season prices:
    Cloves: A shop was selling off small jars of them for 10p each, I bought six. One for a mulled wine/mulled tea mix that I make across the Christmas (Hygge) season, the rest to make pomanders (on my to-do list in the run up to October half term so they're ready for Christmas),
    Christmas puddings: Two large ones with oranges in the middle, I think they may be a "Heston" product. They went out of date in August, but hey, they're Christmas puddings. (£1 for two bagged up together).
    Blocks of fondant icing: My own preference is for royal icing, but I bought this for other people in my thrifty friendship group, in the Wilko late spring sale, They'll still be in date at Christmas. I bought three pink ones (a birthday in November) and two white, & a tube of chocolate writing icing. The blocks were 25p each, and the writing icing 50p
    In terms of things that aren't Christmas ingredients, I'm always on the lookout for small gifts to collect ready for Christmas across the year. I've just audited the ones I've bought in 2019, which leaves me with the information I need to do a Christmas gift list, and shop the gaps. I hope to be shut of Christmas gift shopping by October half term.
    Another task to do in advance will be to plant up bulbs that I hope will flower at Christmas, I need to do this eight weeks before for a "best bet" display. These will be scented hyacinths (not for me, I prefer these in spring) and Paper white narcissus. (For me at Christmas and ready for St. Birigd's day/Imbolc). Because a good way of staying cheerful through tough times, is to keep all the traditional celebrations.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I like my chilli jam recipe, which I make with homegrown chillies.

WEAR GLOVES WHEN PREPARING THE CHILLIES. I have learnt from experience! haha

Ingredients:

• 10 red finger chillies (adjust according to desired spiciness)
    • 1 green apple, grated
    • 1 big onion, finely chopped
    • 2 tomatoes, scalded and peeled
    • 75g brown sugar
    • 250ml red wine vinegar

Cut the chillies peppers lengthwise into halves. Place them on a baking sheet and place under a broiler. When the skin turns black remove from the oven and leave them to cool.

Chop the tomatoes and chillies finely and combine with the chopped onion and grated apple in a pan. Add the sugar and vinegar and cook over a medium heat till the sugar has all dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and leave it to simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Bottle as you would jam, in sterilised jars.

Goes really well with cold meats, in sandwiches, on burgers etc, or even in a stir fry. I got the recipe from this website last year, and it was a big hit with family, friends and colleagues: https://www.worldofchillies.com/offsiteclub/chilli-club-season-plenty/chilli-glut/chilli-jam-sauce-jelly.html#4
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Topher
    GIFTS
    Sloe Gin needs prepping if it's going to be ready as a gift, given that we've had a few good years, and I appear to have collected some bottles of this (so the H.M. Gift group aren't likely to want them this year), I can do my sloe gin on a slow timetable ready for next year.
    Christmas cake gifts need baking within the next four week window.
    Pomanders nowish.
    Bulb planting around Hallowe'en.
    Knitted dishcloths x 8 (& I'm a slow knitter) start now.
    Knitted socks x 2 pairs, as above.
    All the savoury biscuits and shortbread can make up and freeze now before cutting and baking, or do 2-3 weeks before Christmas.
    Fudge 2-3 weeks before Christmas.
    Sweet or savoury nuts, not sure, I need to look them up, but I'd think a 2-3 week storage time would be about the best.
    Christmas dinner
    Chestnut & bcon stuffing (& a vegetarian equivalent), can be made for the freezer any time from now.
    Apple & raisin sauce make now & freeze - can leave out raisins 'til last minute as they don't always look so pleasant after being frozen.
    Buy in and freeze Turkey crown or vegetarian equivalent.
    Make up pigs in blankets (& vegetarian equivalent) open freeze before putting together in bag/box in freezer.
  • MSE_Tine wrote: »
    I’ve never made a Christmas cake in my life but maybe this is the time to do so...

I love the idea of the bean tin size ones - please hit me with all your best recipes :D I’ll make sure they’re credited in the blog if I manage to make them :eek:

I'm for Delia. For years I always made the recipe that my nan's neighbour (a Belgian refugee in WW1) used for all the celebration cakes, including my mum & dad's wedding cake.One year I lost it, so turned to Delia. It was familiar The next year I found it (thank goodness!) and I could check - identical except for using muscovado instead of demerara sugar. However, over the years, I have used the amount of dried fruit as an overall guide rather than exact amounts of each, so have added in some dried cranberries and dried cherries, cutting the other fruits down.
    I have a nifty 'cake checker' from Lakeland. I make a lot of xmas cakes for bazaars, raffles etc. and make some small ones (I have pork pie tins that I inherited, but love the baked bean tin idea!). I estimate cooking time, then check.
    I would add that unless you have a very even and reliable oven, wrap the cake in 2 layers of newspaper, so it doesn't 'catch'.
    I have been bottling a glut of plums, with spices and some left-over brandy. They look very pretty, and will go into Xmas gift boxes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure