RBS PPI enquiry rejection

Comments

• sun73 wrote: »
    You could probably complain to both, saying to FOS that you don’t believe RBS have investigated your complaint thoroughly, but I don’t think you’d get very far because FOS can’t force the bank to reveal hidden data, or data that may no longer exist.

This does not guarantee the ICO will investigate, you can only try and see what happens.

If the SAR doesn’t produce anything useful, then you could send a failed SAR letter (see ICO website), and if you get the same response refer it to the ICO on the grounds that you suspect the bank has not fully complied with your request.

Generally speaking, if records don't exist for closed accounts before 2001 then a SAR will produce nothing else. other than details of any other accounts which were not closed before 2001. A SAR is not a magic wand. It will only provide the personal information that a firm holds on you. If the records have gone ( as is the case here) then there will be nothing else to produce.
    RBS retention seems to be generous here, as they have closed account details going back well beyond the absolute minimum of six years.

Complaining to FOS and the ICO is going to be absolutely fruitless here and will only waste your and everyone else's time. RBS are doing nothing wrong and the only thing you have to go on, is the impeccable memory of your wife from 31 years ago
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
  • Complaining to FOS and the ICO is going to be absolutely fruitless here and will only waste your and everyone else's time. RBS are doing nothing wrong and the only thing you have to go on, is the impeccable memory of your wife from 31 years ago
    I think the thread has rather moved on since the OP's single post over a week ago; the post you responded to is itself in response to another poster who is not the OP.
    The poster concerned has received an incomplete SAR and believes that complaining to FOS and/or the ICO will furnish him with Agreements, Statements and proof of PPI which he isn't sure he had...
  • I think the thread has rather moved on since the OP's single post over a week ago; the post you responded to is itself in response to another poster who is not the OP.
    The poster concerned has received an incomplete SAR and believes that complaining to FOS and/or the ICO will furnish him with Agreements, Statements and proof of PPI which he isn't sure he had...

You are right! My brain is currently trying to get back to its original pre-August state. Just ignore me for a few more weeks:rotfl:
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
    You could probably complain to both, saying to FOS that you don’t believe RBS have investigated your complaint thoroughly, but I don’t think you’d get very far because FOS can’t force the bank to reveal hidden data, or data that may no longer exist.

If the SAR doesn’t produce anything useful, then you could send a failed SAR letter (see ICO website), and if you get the same response refer it to the ICO on the grounds that you suspect the bank has not fully complied with your request.

This does not guarantee the ICO will investigate, you can only try and see what happens.
    Many thanks for the advice!

Hi sun73, I’ve had a look on the ICO website and I can’t find any info relating to a “failed SAR letter”. Please can you describe what this is?
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Failed SAR is another term used on the CAG forum. Type RBS failed SAR into google for examples. The ICO describe it as writing back to a business, after you receive your first response, who you feel has not provided all of your personal information. They also have a template on their website.
    Failed SAR is another term used on the CAG forum.
    Said poster is well aware of CAG and is currently awaiting similar responses to yours over there;
    https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/418388-complaining-to-the-information-commissioner’s-office-ico-if-sar-doesn’t-provide-info-you-have-requested/
  • DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    You'll never know for sure I'm afraid, but (three decades on) do you not honestly suspect your wife's conviction is more than likely wishful thinking rather than an actual memory?

PPI did not become widespread until much later...

It may not have been widespread, but certainly did exist...had a successful PPI claim from way back in 1987!
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Maybe so but that’s because there was evidence of yours.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • DAKOTA45
    DAKOTA45 Posts: 592 Forumite
    brettcta wrote: »
    Maybe so but that’s because there was evidence of yours.

Thankfully... many people don't keep old papers...I wa just lucky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure